Topic: Only 7.1 surround available when configuring speaker in Windows 10

Hi,

I am using a Fireface UFX+ with Windows 10 and I am trying to configure the WDM option so that Windows recognizes it as a 5.1 surround setup.

I have set WDM Devices to 'multitrack' and enabled 'Analog (1-8)' at both the 'WDM Device's tab and the 'Speaker' tab. Then, in Windows sound control panel, when I configure the Speakers (RME UFX+ 3.0) the only configuration I get is 7.1 Surround, and my setup is 5.1.

According to the manual you should be able to assign any surround mode from stereo to 7.1

So far, I have configured it as a 7.1 setup with the 'Side pair' (Surround L and R) disabled. This works in part, but is not ideal. I would like to disable the 'Rear pair' instead. But the rear pair comes out of channels 5 and 6 and the side pair comes out of channels 7 and 8, and I would like to use channels 1-6 for my 5.1 setup.

Does anybody know why Windows doesn't allow me to set it up as anything else than a 7.1 set?

Best regards, Jakob

Re: Only 7.1 surround available when configuring speaker in Windows 10

Mentioned in the readme of the driver, manual is outdated. We can support only one surround setting at this time, and 7.1 is more compatible than 5.1.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Only 7.1 surround available when configuring speaker in Windows 10

Ok, thanks for your reply.
Nice to know that it is not just something that I have done wrong.
Best, Jakob