Topic: ADI-2 DAC fs not powering off with Harmony Remote activities

I just received my new ADI-2 DAC fs. I love it ! Sounds really great: very precise, tight bass and lot of details (reverbs are sumptuous)...

One thing I can't figure out is how to power it off with my harmony remote control when using it within activities. It work very well as a stand alone device: I can power it up (green power icon on the app) and OFF (red power button on the app) but within an activity it does not work: It powers up, when the activity starts, but it does not power off when I end the activity (other devices such as TV and appleTV do)

Anyone got it working?

Thanks in advance,

CP

Re: ADI-2 DAC fs not powering off with Harmony Remote activities

Don't know if it is possible to program it for activities different to normal operation...the list includes two power commands, the second one is a dedicated power off which would always work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by CrazyPierrot 2020-01-26 10:46:13)

MC wrote:

Don't know if it is possible to program it for activities different to normal operation...the list includes two power commands, the second one is a dedicated power off which would always work.

Thanks for your answer!
When setting up an activity, harmony choose by itself the “off” command. I can add additional “step” but then no “off” command is not listed in the available commands to choose from.

You could raise this issue with the Harmony support. They might be able to fix the issue. The basic problem is that our 'off' command is the same as the 'On' command, but needs to be sent for around 2 seconds. User feedback at Logitech made them add the separate 'off' command (immediate reaction) as off command for the normal power button (that's why it is called power on/off). So it seems that this special 'fix' is not working within activities.

[Edit] To give a more extensive explanation:
Using the Power On command from the list on the dedicated Power On button of the Logitech Harmony 300 will turn the command into a special Power On / Off one, that sends the normal Power On command and the special Power Off command. Using Power Toggle will not work for Power Off on that dedicated power button, because it sends out commands only for 1.5 seconds, no matter how long one presses the button. All other buttons support a longer press, so power toggle works on them.

The same happens with the Pro FS R, Power On on the dedicated power button uses two different commands under the hood, so it works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by m1k3 2020-01-30 15:28:18)

FWIW I have no issues with a Harmony Elite remote powering off the RME ADI-2 DAC from all activities using the hardware “Off” button at the top of the remote. The ADI-2 DAC is in all my activities so there never is a case where the unit would be powered off when switching to another activity.  So in my setup, it must be sending the correct hold-for-2-seconds on/off command to the ADI-2 DAC when powering off everything with the hardware “Off” button on the remote.

All the commands work fine for me except one. The only issue I’ve run into with the Harmony database for the ADI-2 DAC is the Setup 8 command; it seems to send the Crossfeed 2 command instead.

Crossfeed 2 means you do not use the latest firmware 33, where several such errors were fixed. But 33 seems to still have an issue with Setup 7 and 8, we are checking this right now.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by m1k3 2020-01-30 15:45:25)

Thanks MC. I am actually on firmware 33, but your comment that Setup 7 and 8 had problems made me realize I had Crossfeed 2 on my Setup 7. So I rechecked and when I select Setup 8 on the Harmony remote, Setup 7 is actually loaded. The Setup 7 command on the remote works as expected.

Edit: MC, is this a Harmony database issue, or will it require a firmware update?

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: actually, I had used Remap Keys to remap a remote button to Setup7 (that had Crossfeed2 set) and used the code for the remap key on the Harmony remote which made my troubleshooting incorrect. [see Post 9 below].

We found out that our DAC command table has wrong hex values for Setup 7 and 8. I informed Logitech, they will update the DAC database entries with the correct information soon. The fixed command table replaced the former one (same download link):

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2da … mmands.zip

Setup 7 right now is the same as Bass Down, so it can't work correctly on a Harmony.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry for the confusion. The reason I thought Setup7 worked on the Harmony was because before Firmware release 30 with all the new IR codes, I had remapped Setup7 to a remote button on the old remote and used the IR command for that (Remap Key 2, Hex 27) on the Harmony but I had also renamed the soft-button in the LCD screen on the remote so I thought I was testing Setup7 when pressing that button.

It is an interesting workaround though to remap Setup7 and 8 to a remote button 1,2,3, or 4 (Setup -> Remap Keys / Diag -> ) and then use those “Remap Key x” commands on the Harmony until they update their database.

BR,
Mike

P.S. I’ve edited my post above about Setup7 working.

I am having the same problem as above with the off command. The unit powers on fine, but not off. I assigned off to a different button, but that is not convenient. If I use that button to turn off the device and then use the hardware "off" button to turn everything else off, the adi-2 dac turns back on. I have to turn everything off, then select the RME from devices, then power that off separately.
It sounds like there is a way to use the hardware "off" as designed, but I can't figure out what settings to use in the Harmony software?

Thanks,
Evan

@satx, I wish I could be more helpful, but I didn’t do anything special when setting up my activities. I just added the ADI-2 DAC to all the activities. I did however just realize that I made the following change when adding the DAC as a device: I modified the RME ADI-2 DAC device settings -> “Power Settings” to “KEEP DEVICE ALWAYS ON BUT SWITCH OFF WHEN OFF BUTTON IS PRESSED”.

That setting may not be appropriate for you, but that could be why mine powers off with the hardware off button and it doesn’t for other people.

Cheers,
Mike

12 (edited by satx 2020-01-30 20:28:15)

@m1k3, That sounds like it's worth a try, but where do I find power settings? I looked for a way to modify it within the send a special command during power On/Off section, but there is nothing there that could be useful.

Thanks,
Evan

Disregard. I figured it out in 20 seconds. I guess I should have looked at the software before asking. I'll try that right now

13 (edited by m1k3 2020-01-30 20:32:08)

What remote are you using? What configuration software are you using (i.e., desktop, iOS app)? I’m using a Harmony Elite with Hub; I use both desktop and iOS My Harmony software. If you have similar, I can probably help further telling you where to look.

Edit:
On the iPad version of the iOS app “Harmony Control”, click the three-line menu (top left). Tap “Harmony Setup” -> “Add/Edit Devices & Activities” -> “Devices”. Tap the RME ADI-2 DAC. Tap “Power Settings”. Select “KEEP DEVICE ALWAYS ON BUT SWITCH OFF WHEN BUTTON IS PRESSED”. Then tap the top-right arrows to save the setting change. Then sync the remote.

m1k3 wrote:

What remote are you using? What configuration software are you using (i.e., desktop, iOS app)? I’m using a Harmony Elite with Hub; I use both desktop and iOS My Harmony software. If you have similar, I can probably help further telling you where to look.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I just needed to actually open the software:]

Do you know what commands for 'power on' and 'power off' you used? It is not letting me finish updating the power off setting until I select that. I assume it's one of three options from the command drop down- powerOn, powerOff or power toggle

I am using the Harmony 950 without hub and desktop Mac software

You're awesome Mike! That worked. I use the RME for everything, so it should be good for my setup. In the commands section there is a place to add a duration to the commands.

For anyone else having the same issue, I set it up as follows- device settings> power settings> leave device on when switching activities, power off only with off button> I press two different buttons for on and for off> Power commands> on to power on- default duration, off to power off- 2 seconds duration

MC wrote:

We found out that our DAC command table has wrong hex values for Setup 7 and 8. I informed Logitech, they will update the DAC database entries with the correct information soon. The fixed command table replaced the former one (same download link):

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2da … mmands.zip

Setup 7 right now is the same as Bass Down, so it can't work correctly on a Harmony.

Logitech fixed the Setup 7 and Setup 8 commands in their database for the ADI-2 DAC. If you assigned them already simply assign them again, update /synchronize the remote and voilà - Setup 7 and 8 work as they should.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME