Topic: Problem with pulling out the Vers. 1 Dac's Power Barrel, please advise

Hello,

I currently own a Vers. 1 Dac that I want to sell as I purchased the Vers 2.

However, I am having a lot of difficulty removing the power supply barrel from the back of the device. When you first plug the barrel in, there are raised portions on the barrel that you must line up with indentations on the female side on the Dac. However, once the barrel is plugged in, you can no longer see where the indentations and raised part of the barrel is in order to line them up properly to unlock and unplug it.

I contacted RME support about this, who advised me to "turn the barrel while pulling gently, and it will smoothly pull out."

Let me assure you that while the Version 2 Dac's barrel may work more like this, my Version 1 barrel does NOT. I have tried turning it slowly from right to left and back while pulling gently, and moderately, and it does not budge at all.

In fact, if you reference this thread I posted about a year ago on plugging the barrel in, Ramses notes that you have to apply fairly significant pressure to plug in the barrel on this version of the power supply -- note, I did not have to apply the same pressure to plug in the Version 2 barrel, so something is different here:

Indeed, you have to exert more pressure than you think to get the plug fully plugged in. In the first attempt I was also surprised that I turned into emptiness and nothing locked.
When I then exerted a lot more pressure, the plug actually gets in a bit further and only then can the plug be locked cleanly with a 90° right turn. By clean I mean you can't turn the plug any further to the right.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=28216

Being unable to remove the barrel could affect the resell value/'resalability' of the device, so I need some assistance please in removing the power barrel without causing any damage to the barrel or the device itself.

Ramses, it sounds like you have a similar version as I do, so perhaps you have found a way to unplug it?

Thanks,

Re: Problem with pulling out the Vers. 1 Dac's Power Barrel, please advise

I have no issues with it, just tried it "blind" simply using my hands as it is mounted relatively fix in my HiFi Shelf.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So you just pull it right out without turning it to any particular position? It is turned to the right until it locks. So do you pull it from the "all the way to the right" position or do you turn it some amount to the left to pull it out?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-02-02 22:45:28)

Yes of course I turn the plug because it is a bayonet lock.

You're gonna get a plug in and out, right?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

So you are turning and pulling and it just comes out once you've turned it to the point where it's aligned correctly?

That is not working for mine. How much force are you using?

I suggest to do a quick phone-video of the issue; then we can quickly figure out what is going on ..

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

ADI-2 DAC v1 here, and no problem at all: align the little wings of the plug with the holes of the barrel, plug it in fully, lock it (with a 90° right turn; it's easy: there is a stop).
To unplug: unlock it (with a 90° left turn... up to the stop once again) and pull the plug...

OK, the first time I've attached it, I missed the lockable plug and haven't plugged it deeply enough (haven't red the manual yet), but once you've understand the system, it's really not rocket science...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

8 (edited by ramses 2020-02-03 09:56:03)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonet_mount

The picture doesn't fit 100° but at the end show the principle of a bajonet lock ...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c6/Bayonet-mount-01.svg/1920px-Bayonet-mount-01.svg.png

The only difference with RME is, that not all models use the same mechanism (*) and that the length of the locking is not that little like on the picture its either at 90° or at any position except the position to be able to unplug the plug.

(*) I identified two different types of plugs so far
a) some have really a hard stop after around 90° like my old ADI-2 Pro and my new ADI-2 Pro FS BE
b) some have no stop, like my ADI-2 DAC.

But is this an issue ? No.
If you are "unsure" .. look at the back while inserting and locking.
If you are the more "confident" type of a guy or did it at least one time successfully then you can make it "blind" as me:

- use the proper position, so that you can plug it in fully
-  (**) pull it then "out and in" repeatedly, so that your fingers know the required force for plugging in and out
- plug it in fully and then turn it 180° with not too much force
   - if it locks at 90°, perfect, done
   - if it doesn't lock at 90° leave it somewhere around 180°, try to plug it out with the force that you know (**)
     if you can't plug it out, fine .. any possition between "5-355°" is fine except equal or very close to 0°
     where it can be plugged out.

This is not too difficult, its simply a bajonet lock ... not more.

Robertm394 wrote:

Let me assure you that while the Version 2 Dac's barrel may work more like this, my Version 1 barrel does NOT. I have tried turning it slowly from right to left and back while pulling gently, and moderately, and it does not budge at all.

The sockets do have some tolerances. I also have one unit here where removing the plug is not that easy. It needs a lot of force while turning. You won't be able to break socket or plug, though,  as long as you don't pull the cable, but properly grab the connector.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by Robertm394 2020-02-07 20:56:25)

Thanks MC. Can you please give me very explicit instructions on how you properly removed a plug from a "not so easy to remove" unit?

For example, you are starting with the plug turned clockwise until it stops ('locked position').

Are you then SLOWLY TURNING counterclockwise while pulling with force? Or are you turning it ALL THE WAY counterclockwise/left until it stops, and THEN pulling with force?

Also, if I record a video of me removing the plug per the instructions, and it appears I did everything correctly (gripping the plug, not the wire, etc.), and it still somehow caused damage to the unit, would this be covered by the warranty?

Thanks,

Sure.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by Robertm394 2020-02-09 02:27:04)

Thank you. Can you please clarify this question for me MC. I want to specifically here YOUR recommendation for how to pull the plug out:

Can you please give me very explicit instructions on how you properly removed a plug from a "not so easy to remove" unit?

For example, you are starting with the plug turned clockwise until it stops ('locked position').

Are you then SLOWLY TURNING counterclockwise while pulling with force? Or are you turning it ALL THE WAY counterclockwise/left until it stops, and THEN pulling with force?

From full clockwise position:
turn the plug 90 degrees (1/4 turn) counterclockwise, then pull it out.

Counterclockwise seen from the rear smile

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by Robertm394 2020-02-11 23:05:58)

Thanks MC. Sorry to keep belaboring this point, but I want to be completely clear on this. Are you advising, from Clockwise position when facing the rear of the device:

1). Pull *WHILE* simultaneously turning in the counterclockwise direction

or

2). Turn counterclockwise until STOP, then begin pulling with force until the plug comes out

In other words, do I pull WHILE turning CCW, or complete the CCW turn until stop, THEN pull. Thank you.

I pull while turning as the endoint is not always the endpoint, so to say. These sockets can have surprising variations. I even have one that goes 360°, no stop at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Rob,

I believe our ADI-2 DACs are of a similar vintage/production Lot.   As MC states, there CAN be unit to unit variations in this mechanical locking mechanism.    With My Device, the DC Barrel has only about 90deg TOTAL Rotation.    So...with DC Barrel inserted, and locked...I grasped the body of the DC Connector with my Thumb, and Forefinger.  A "Pincers" form if you can envision.  While exerting a bit of Outward Pull, I rotated the Connector 90deg CCW to it's stop.  No more rotation available.   Fishing around +/- a degree or so...Out Slides the Connector!!!    I did it 3 Times in less than 3mins. 

Take your time...The Connector went IN...surely it'll come back out. smile

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Same XP here: align the barrel, push, screw 90° til the stop to plug it in.
And then unscrew 90° and pull to unplug it.

I think with no stop it can get tricky. But I love this lock feature!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Thanks guys, I was able to get it out. Mine came out just before the full 90° CCW position with a bit more force than I expected to have to use, but glad I got it resolved. Thanks smile