Topic: Best input for sound quality for the adi2

Out of all the inputs what is the best to use as far as sound quality is concerned.

Additionally, the 2 balanced outputs, can I somehow use an adapter for that so I can plug my 3.5mm headphones in for best sound?

My goal is to get the most sound quality out of the rme. I love it allready as it is.

Re: Best input for sound quality for the adi2

It has only digital inputs .. and there is no difference in quality with digital inputs.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Itchy,

Download the RME Bit Test Files.  Send those to your ADI-2.DAC.  That will conclusively prove that, as Ramses notes...Digital is Digital.   The data is either received intact, or it is not.  No BS in-betweens

Whatever Audio Magazine you're reading?  Consider perhaps ending the Subscription.  Somebody is Filling you with misinformation  smile

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

4 (edited by N00b 2020-02-13 09:19:23)

ItchyEars wrote:

Out of all the inputs what is the best to use as far as sound quality is concerned.

Additionally, the 2 balanced outputs, can I somehow use an adapter for that so I can plug my 3.5mm headphones in for best sound?

My goal is to get the most sound quality out of the rme. I love it allready as it is.

Concerning the inputs, no more to add to what has already been said (and as Curt said, you can easily check that with the bit perfect test: if the Bit Perfect test passes: nothing to improve: it's perfect...).
Link to the Bit Test Audio files.
The Bit Test is detailed in the ADI-2 DAC manual on page 65. smile

Concerning the output question, you want to plug your unbalanced headphones to the balanced headphones output, because I presume "sound quality" is better with balanced output?
That's not that simple concerning headphones...

You have a headphone with unbalanced connection, just plug it into the (very high quality) unbalanced output of the DAC...

You have a top notch DAC/headphones amplifier and I presume some good headphones: plug in your headphones and enjoy. Play with the crossfeed, the EQ...
"Sound quality" is not a mysterical and magical holy grail you can find in between inputs, outputs, upsampling, cables or in audiophile BT receiver...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables