Topic: UFX+ with Audient ASP 880 Via AES??

Hi, SO I have the UFX + and I want to connect my ASP 880 Via the AES connection as Both my ADATs are spoken for. Can I receive all 8 channels from the asp880 and how do I set this up? I have bought the 9 pin d-sub to xlr cable but I can't get a signal into my computer??

Anyone tried to do this?

2 (edited by ramses 2020-03-25 15:55:23)

Re: UFX+ with Audient ASP 880 Via AES??

AES supports only two channels per standard, but this for sample frequencies from 44.1 up to 192 kHz.
AES does not allow for more channels.

You need to take ADAT to be able to transfer up to 8 channels @44.1/48 kHz.
When using ADAT please note that the amount of channels depends on the sample rate.
8 ch @44.1/48 kHz (single speed)
4 ch @88.2/96 kHz (double speed)
2 ch at quad speed, if quad speed is supported by the preamp.

Your Audient has two ADAT out ports, the UFX has two ADAT in ports.

If you record only with 44.1/48 kHz you only need one TOSLINK cable for the 8 Mic Preamps.
If you intend to record 88.2/96 kHz, then you need to use two TOSLINK cables between the two devices.

TOSLINK cables can be up to 15m long between certain devices, but I recommend you to stay with the standard
which is below 10m last time when I read a reply from Matthias Carstens ...
I think 10m up to 96 kHz should be safe.

When taking TOSLINK cable then I would consider to take not the stiffest cable ..
I made good experience with Mutec optical cable, you can even twist it a little so that it doesn't spread too much around.
Example article 5m: https://www.thomann.de/de/mutec_optisches_kabel_5m.htm

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by lolo1988 2020-04-27 13:52:00)

Re: UFX+ with Audient ASP 880 Via AES??

rune288 wrote:

Hi, SO I have the UFX + and I want to connect my ASP 880 Via the AES connection as Both my ADATs are spoken for. Can I receive all 8 channels from the asp880 and how do I set this up? I have bought the 9 pin d-sub to xlr cable but I can't get a signal into my computer??

Anyone tried to do this?

Hello,

I've got an ASP880, and you indeed can connect its audio channels out to an AES/EBU device. I guess your 9 pins [d-sub to XLR] cable features 4 XLR plugs (each XLR handles one AES stream = 2 audio channels).

But the UFX+ accepts only one AES/EBU signal (= 2 audio channels) on its AES XLR input, so you can connect only one of the AES/EBU XLR plugs from the ASP880 to the UFX AES input.
You must choose which audio channels have to be sent to your UFX (1-2 or 3-4 or 5-6 or 7-8), by connecting the proper XLR plug in the AES input of the UFX.

Also, does your 9-pin breakthrough cable really fit the ASP880 9-pin d-sub pinout?
(see page 16 of the ASP880 user manual :
https://d9w4fhj63j193.cloudfront.net/AS … l+(En).pdf
)

As I don't own an UFX+ myself, I can't figure out if there could be a specific setting regarding the AES/EBU management.

Laurent

Intel i7, Windows 10, RME UFX+, Ferrofish Pulsar16MX