Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS: USB playback to main outputs in AD/DA mode?

Hello,

I'm using the ADI-2 Pro FS in a recording setup where I have the analog inputs converted to output through ADAT, and I would like to use its USB input to playback through the main outputs to monitors. I know the phones 3+4 output can playback from USB, but is it possible for the main output to do this as well? If not, is it possible for this to be implemented in a future firmware release?

2 (edited by ramses 2020-04-03 06:47:50)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS: USB playback to main outputs in AD/DA mode?

> I know the phones 3+4 output can playback from USB, but is it possible for the main output to do this as well?
yes.

No time to check, but maybe you ... maybe smth like this ...
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 88#p152488

See block diagrams in the manual ... ch 17.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by raphaelchang1227 2020-04-03 06:49:36)

How? Under the I/O menu for Main Output 1+2 I don't see an option for USB as the source. The block diagram also doesn't show a possible routing from USB to output 1+2 in AD/DA mode.

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-04-03 07:03:30)

What can be routed to where depends on the "Mode" ADI-2 Pro is set to.

Look at the block diagrams from page 37 ff in the manual and choose the one that supports what you need.

The "Mode"- setting changes ADI-2 Pro into different devices, kind of, with different functionality.

What you need works, e.g., in the "Class Compliant Multi-channel mode" = "USB mode 6/8 channel".

I need to be in AD/DA mode I believe, as that is the only mode where the analog in can be routed to the ADAT output. In that mode, it does not seem that USB playback can be routed to main output.

I don't see a fitting option.
Maybe it helps to use 3/4 phones out to the monitors instead?
Sound quality is the same.

What's connected to the ADAT outs?
If it's a record path maybe it's possible to record from USB instead?
Just guessing as I don't know your configuration.

I'd prefer not to use the phone output due to space constraints so I prefer to have the connections on the back. The ADAT is connected to my main USB audio interface since I am just using the ADI-2 as a high quality AD/DA converter. My main USB interface only has one set of outputs, so I was hoping to use the ADI-2 as a second playback output.

If the ADI-2 doesn't support USB playback through monitors in AD/DA mode I might just get an external USB-SPDIF converter, which kind of sucks because I bought the ADI-2 Pro (over the new non-pro one) partially because of the USB interface.

I doubt that will work as both units (your main interface and the USB to SPDIF) need to be synced. Never saw a syncable USB to SPDIF converter.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by raphaelchang1227 2020-04-03 08:06:06)

What do you mean by synced? I just want to have two separate audio output devices on my PC.

Do you mean that the ADI-2 will have problems if the digital inputs and outputs are on different clocks?

You want to play more than two channels from your DAW? Then the hardware used must be synced, or the DAW can't do that. See manual, multiinterface operation. If you want to play different apps to two devices no sync is required.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by KaiS 2020-04-03 11:04:39)

First thing you should try and find out, if it's really possible to use two USB devices at the same time, I doubt that this is possible.

If at all, ADI-2 Pro must be clock-synced from the other USB interface, e.g via ADAT, SPDIF or AES.
Or the other way round as you already will establish an ADAT connection, if this second USB device has the ability to be clock slaved.
Else both devices try to become the clock master, which does not work.

According to the space restrictions:
If you use a flat, angled jack in headphones out 3/4 you can make it almost invisible.
If you don't have or get one, and have some soldering skills it's really easy to build this by yourself:
Use a standard plug, bend the sleeve connection flat and cut it halfway.
Solder the cable and then use some hot glue to isolate and secure the cable.
The result is not much different to what is commercially available - a maximum flat connector.

I decided to switch to a different USB interface, one with ADAT in and out, so I don't have to deal with synchronization and ASIO4ALL. Thanks for the advice!