Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS: missing routing possibilities?

Hi,

I'm struggling to simultaneously route ADI-2 Pro FS SPDIF input to AES output and analog inputs to SPDIF outputs.  Should this be possible?

I'm using ADI-2 Pro as a standalone format/AD/DA-converter and a headphone amp, combined with Digiface USB. Digiface is there just for TotalMix monitoring and loopback features for inter-app audio routing, as ADI-2 Pro does not support TotalMix.

The connections are as follows:
- external mic preamps -> ADI2pro analog inputs 1-2
- ADI2pro optical SPDIF out -> Digiface USB optical SPDIF in
- Digiface USB optical SPDIF out -> ADI2pro optical SPDIF in
- ADI2pro AES output to Genelec AES input
- Digiface USB connected to computer with USB

With headphones only, this setup works like a charm in AD/DA mode and "Dig. Out Source" set to "Default". This way, I can monitor the SPDIF input through PH3/4, but I can't route the same signal to AES output for monitoring through the speakers. If I switch "Dig. Out Source" to "Main Out" and Main Output "AD/DA Source" to SPDIF, analog inputs 1-2 are not routed to ADI2pro SPDIF outputs anymore, but a feedback loop is created instead as SPDIF input is then routed to SPDIF output and monitored via TotalMix. I would like to keep everything else as-is and change just the source of the AES output (SPDIF in -> AES out while routing analog inputs to SPDIF out). Any ideas?

Thanks!

---
Tommi Gröhn
CTO
oeksound Ltd.

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS: missing routing possibilities?

Sorry, I just noticed there was a dedicated subforum for ADI-2 Pro and ADI-2 DAC.

Could someone confirm if this is currently possible or if this is something that could be implemented in a firmware update?

The only workaround I can come up with is to use analog outputs 1-2 instead of AES output, which adds unnecessary extra DA/AD stage before the speakers.

An AES output option is on our list, as some users need to switch between analog output (monitor 1) and AES (monitor 2). Can't give a date, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

An AES output option is on our list, as some users need to switch between analog output (monitor 1) and AES (monitor 2). Can't give a date, though.

Thanks for the info, sounds excellent.

MC wrote:

Any news on this?

I would like to second the request for this functionality:

I would like to be able to send a music signal from my computer through my Madiface USB and my ADI-648 into my ADI-2 Pro via the SPDIF (ADAT) input and out to the AES output (which is connected to my Neumann monitors) while at the same time sending a microphone preamp signal through the analog inputs to the SPDIF (ADAT) outs, back into my computer.

If Dig. Out Source is set to Default, I lose the signal from my computer on my monitors and potentially create a feedback loop. If Dig. Out Source is set to Main Out, I regain the ability to hear my computer's signal on my monitors, but the analog input signal is no longer sent to my computer.

Being able to control the AES output source separately from the SPDIF output source would solve this problem very elegantly.

I continue to be deeply impressed with this device--so much clever thought has gone into it!

U/nfortunately the exact routing asked for here is definitely not coming. All digital outputs will always work in parallel (stereo) or separately fed from USB (Multi-channel). Different routings within the hardware for SPDIF and AES would brake most of the GUI and internal design.

What I mentioned in post 3 has been added now - the ability to toggle between Line and digital out, or Phones and digital out. But that's not what was asked for here, sorry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME