Topic: Analog Loop Through in ADI-2 FS

I'm referring to the ADI-2 FS current edition (I think it came out in '18) here, the one with the push buttons (no backlit or LCD screen). It's both AD and DA (not the DAC) unit.

First off, in terms of functionality this thing is a swiss army knife. I use it in DA mode to monitor masters or listen to CD's, in AD mode to rip vinyl and loop through mode as analog preamp. Could not find another device on the market that does all that!

The DA mode sounds quite transparent/analytical to my hears which works for what I need it for.

Now as for the analog loop through mode listening to vinyl,  I've found it to color the sound compared to the passive channel selector I've been using. In-/ and output gains were adjusted to optimal levels during the comparison.

I could invest in better XLR interconnects to make it a true apple to apple comparison. Right now I have generic XLR cables connecting the ADI FS to the Levinson ML-432 poweramp and Audioquest (RCA to XLR) diamondbacks when operating the passive channel selector.

Note the passive channel selector is true signal pass through with passive signal attenuator (potentiometer), no electronic circuitry inside. Plain and simple. So it's essentially like bridging the phono pre directly with power amp except the passive signal attenuation.

In the analog pass through comparison, the ADI-2 FS exhibit more brittle highs and thinner bass than the passive unit.

With a comparable set of interconnects, can I expect the ADI-2 FS the signal quality to be as good as the passive channel selector unit?

If it did, it would make it a perfect purchase!

Thanks

Re: Analog Loop Through in ADI-2 FS

> In the analog pass through comparison, the ADI-2 FS exhibit more brittle highs and thinner bass than the passive unit.

I bet it's the other way round. Passive attenuation via pot is known to dampen the highs a bit, especially when not at full volume position. Fully normal and technically unavoidable (RC filter lowpass). So maybe the ADI gives you the true sound...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME