Topic: Best playback path for streaming services in Windows 10..

Hi, Just received the ADI-2 DAC today directly from Germany smile

I'm using it on a Windows 10 Pro PC connected via USB. Most listening are via steaming service like Amazon HD and I was wondering what is the best audio path to the DAC.

1) Using the "Analog (1+2) (RME ADI-2 DAC)" from the window output option.

2) Using JRiver WDM to re-route all windows sound through Media Center, and selecting Audio Device (from within JRiver) "ASIO MADIface USB [ASIO]".

3) An alternative solution.

Please forgive me if this Q has already been answered.

Re: Best playback path for streaming services in Windows 10..

After doing much reading I think i can answer my own question:

Neither of options 1 or 2 are the ideal choice as none of these are "exclusive mode" whereby the output matches the input, all audio will be mixed/processed to a given bit rate (as set in device properties).

The best option would be for Amazon have native support for AISO within their desktop application, or via a 3rd party application like Audirvana/JRiver etc.

3 (edited by Luckbad 2020-04-19 03:35:34)

Re: Best playback path for streaming services in Windows 10..

Correct. Most music enthusiasts ditched Amazon HD as soon as it came out because it can't be lossless. You're better off with Google Music or Spotify if you don't care about lossless.

I confess that despite having access to lossless music, I listen to Google Music more than anything due to convenience and because I usually need to hear other things while working (so I can't use exclusive mode anyway).