Topic: What/ How are you connectng ADI-2 Dac FS. What is your Transport.

Good Day

would it make sense to have a sticky where people post how their DAC is connected?

For example Roon is how I playback my music. I have tried with Allo Digione sig (SPDIF Coax), Allo USBridge sig (USB), PC with Roon Rock (linux) installed (USB) and last, my favorite a PC with Windows 10 installed with Asio Driver, ASIO device selected with Native chosen as a DSD playback strategy in Roon. Suggesting we go into detail but use one post (editing if required to keep clean and readable). Perhaps people could learn from others experience.
So settings selected, cables used, software used, etc.

Stay safe

2 (edited by ramses 2020-04-18 18:02:28)

Re: What/ How are you connectng ADI-2 Dac FS. What is your Transport.

>[...] cables used [...]

To finally bring heavily controversal discussions about cable quality into the forum again ? No please not.
I am not sure whether a vendor forum is the right place for this.
What about opening a blog space ?!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

iTunes (bit perfect player! RME Bit test passed) or Spotify on my 2013 iMac -> 2005 vintage printer cable -> ADI-2 DAC

80% of my files are 44.1 lossless, 20% are 44.1 lossy.
And personally I avoid the DSD (too complicated and fat on HDD for no gain in SQ) and other BS formats like MQA... but that is just my humble opinion.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

4 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-18 20:24:03)

I didn't buy anything.   I use the USB Cable supplied with my RME.    Not only are the Trebles "Crystaline" in nature, but the Lows are Thunderous in the most Ethereal manner,  and the mids project their Chocolatey Warmth in the most sensuous way conceivable!    The Soundstage?   Oh get out!  Huge!!!  I might have to get the house expanded to contain the sheer vastness of it all!

Please Bokko!  Don't improve upon this any more!  My heart can't take it!  Seriously.. The Artists come to MY HOUSE to hear themselves!!

If you're selling...contact me offline to Bolster your Marketing!  I love to fabricate a good BS Story, and I can write a White Paper the likes of which you've never seen. big_smile

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Friendly bunch you all are.
Transport hmmm that means playback device. DVD, CD or a device feeding USB input.
In my case a computer running software called Roon.

Won't bother posting again thanks

Stay safe

The short version of this thread: this isn't an audiophile forum, it's the official RME forum. Everything here tries to be objective and informative.

I'm a member of audiophile forums too, and that's where I talk about things like USB vs. other connectivity methods.

7 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-19 08:01:17)

bokko wrote:

Transport hmmm that means playback device. DVD, CD or a device feeding USB input.

Stay safe

Bokko,

No need to walk away angry...

Transport-Wise, I'm still hopelessly addicted to my Squeezebox Touch!   I've got access to the World at my Fingertips!

This Portal to the Universe is connected to the RME via USB.   Everything streams wirelessly to the Router,  then via Ethernet Cable to the SBT.    Some time ago, the RME Team made sure the SBT, and ADI-2 DAC were compatible via USB,  and it works a treat!    Free Software too!  I could not resist that price, and Logitech Media Server has been the backbone of all for me since 10yrs!   Bit Perfect too!!    I can't imagine doing things any other way.  smile

Best!

Curt

Except for the cable part, I do find it a very decent question.

In my case
ROON > raspberry pi 4 with Flirc Case running Ropiee > USB
ROON > allo digione running Ropiee > coax

I did get rid of the allo USBridge running dietpi since it dropped out of the network too frequently.

I bought one ADI-2 DAC FS for my Home Office as headphone amp! Headphones are Audeze LCD-2.

I got it yesterday. I installed the rme ASIO Drivers, they show up in MC and it was simple plug and play.

I use JRiver Media Center.

bokko wrote:

Stay safe

There's no reason to be offended either. You've had an idea, asked and received a factual feedback
and even a suggestion that it might be better to do this through external blog articles outside the forum.

We as satisfied RME customers simply want to prevent the completely unnecessary bickering from the
hi-fi area being brought back into the forum, which unfortunately always happens when it comes to
cables and similar hi-fi voodoo stuff.

If there are stickies here, it's about important and interesting information regarding RME products and drivers.

Think it over and please don't take it so personally. Nobody wanted to expel you from the forum in any way.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Manfred wrote:

I bought one ADI-2 DAC FS for my Home Office as headphone amp! Headphones are Audeze LCD-2.

I got it yesterday. I installed the rme ASIO Drivers, they show up in MC and it was simple plug and play.

I use JRiver Media Center.

Hi Manfred, cool, enjoy your new toy wink

BTW .. I remember the LCD-2, very fine phones.
I had the LCD-2 here some time ago for testing and some other phones and wrote a little review:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … ADI-2-Pro/

ramses wrote:

>[...] cables used [...]

To finally bring heavily controversal discussions about cable quality into the forum again ? No please not.

I find this reply a very rude and unnecessarily hostile way to answer what was a very educated post aimed at collecting information.

User @bokko was just asking what hardware, software and settings we use together with ADI-2 DAC. I find this a legitimate question to ask, it does NOT imply or suggest a discussion about "cable quality".

You could have answered the question if desired. You barked at a newcomer instead, and worst of all you did it presuming to talk in the name of every user of this forum and of RME.

I want you to know that you were not talking in my name, at least, and I don't share at all your behaviour.

Sincerely,

GT

Thanks fisico, was thinking just the same.
Btw.: am using a Squeezebox Touch connected to USB input since purchase.

fisico wrote:
ramses wrote:

>[...] cables used [...]

I find this reply a very rude and unnecessarily hostile way to answer what was a very educated post aimed at collecting information.

User @bokko was just asking what hardware, software and settings we use together with ADI-2 DAC. I find this a legitimate question to ask, it does NOT imply or suggest a discussion about "cable quality".

You could have answered the question if desired. You barked at a newcomer instead, and worst of all you did it presuming to talk in the name of every user of this forum and of RME.

I want you to know that you were not talking in my name, at least, and I don't share at all your behaviour.

Sincerely,

GT

The education that you refer to stopped at the point where he mentioned "cables" ...
If you do not know whats all behind that, please stop moaning and pls stick out of a fruitless pseudo discussion.

15 (edited by fisico 2020-04-19 15:06:05)

A) I have a 27" iMac which is my main digital source, sitting on my working desk in the opposite side of the room. I run iTunes on Mojave, which outputs audio trough a 5m generic USB cable connected to a USB/optical SPDIF converter, then a 5m optical cable connected to the optical input of my ADI-2 DAC.

B) I also have a Pro-Ject CD transport directly connected with a 0.75m coaxial RCA cable to the coaxial input.

C) Sometimes I connect a Macbook laptop to the USB input using the RME supplied USB cable to 1) run the RME DIGICheck software, OR 2) running REW software for tuning the (analog) room equalisation, OR 3) the few times I do vinyl needledrops, OR 4) listening to music, again from iTunes.

I have 100% 44.1/16 digital music, no Hi-res or DSD. I am totally satisfied with the ADI-2 DAC, its sound quality is equally perfect through any of the three inputs, connected as specified. Its use thorough the display and software is light years more convenient and flexible than any other DAC around which I am aware of. I am not tempted to buy a different DAC, at any price. I am adding a picture of my set-up.

https://i.imgur.com/wHaX48g.jpg

The education that you refer to stopped at the point where he mentioned "cables" ...
If you do not know whats all behind that, please stop moaning and pls stick out of a fruitless pseudo discussion.

And the rudeness continues.

17 (edited by ramses 2020-04-19 16:40:18)

paulzh wrote:

Consider that you are new to this forum (a little more than a week).
You are missing forum history / background information why further cable disscussions are unwanted.
You even do not know the people here involved into this discussion after only a few days.

So please do not judge about things that you do not know and further do not mix simply "clear words" on a topic without any insult included / intended with rudeness. Many thanks for your cooperation upfront.

Ok....

I think we're spending far too much time at home, and perhaps wearing our Facemasks a bit too tight. big_smile.    It seems time for a "Kumbaya" moment, and a Big Group Hug.  smile

I would just like to BE HOME!  Im 2000miles away...no RME,etc.   Friends.. I guess that's just a Cross I must bear in these times.  big_smile

Let's Chill out, and move forward. 

@Fisico:  Nice Looking Room!  Tell me more! 

Best to All

Curt

19 (edited by KaiS 2020-04-19 17:52:53)

ramses wrote:
paulzh wrote:

Consider that you are new to this forum (a little more than a week).
You are missing forum history / background information why further cable disscussions are unwanted.
You even do not know the people here involved into this discussion after only a few days.

So please do not judge about things that you do not know and further do not mix simply "clear words" on a topic without any insult included / intended with rudeness. Many thanks for your cooperation upfront.

After 2nd thinking I assume user bokko meant "connection", like AES, SPDIF, USB, ... when he said "cable".

The word "Cable" triggered a, this time unneccessary, defensive reaction at some, me included.

It's true, some of us are sick of the "with cable XYZ the sound gets 1000% clearer" discussion.

SORRY BOKKO, THIS WAS A MISUNDERSTANDING!

KaiS wrote:

It's true, some of us are sick of the "with cable XYZ the sound gets 1000% clearer" discussion.

smile smile    Indeed Kai!    Cables, and Batteries are certain to stir up some Serious Sh!t on this Forum.   

Let's just let it go.   

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Ok....

I think we're spending far too much time at home, and perhaps wearing our Facemasks a bit too tight. big_smile.    It seems time for a "Kumbaya" moment, and a Big Group Hug.  smile

I would just like to BE HOME!  Im 2000miles away...no RME,etc.   Friends.. I guess that's just a Cross I must bear in these times.  big_smile

Let's Chill out, and move forward. 

@Fisico:  Nice Looking Room!  Tell me more! 

Best to All

Curt

Thanks for your kind and wise words, Curt. Sorry to hear you are so far away from home, it makes me remember that Rolling Stones song... I hope the cross is not too heavy and you should not bear it for too long.

The room is my home office & music room, with a dedicated sofa in the sweet spot and a good listening position at the work desk too. I usually spend some time there, or should I say "here", and now even more, of course..

Stay safe, everybody. We can work it out!

https://i.imgur.com/dl8H34d.jpg

22 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-19 19:12:47)

Fisico,

I'm seeing some HUGE BOOSTS on your EQ in the Gear Rack.   That's scary to me, but I might be able to help you fix that...at NO cost, and let you have lower distortion, and more amplifier headroom thrown in!

I'd like to ask for some Room dimensions...Seating Location...Speaker location...in terms of numbers.   

Let's take OUR Chat to the "Recommended Reading for EQ" thread.   I think You, and I can give your System a massive upgrade!  All this...at no cost to you!  I've only had one user injured while moving heavy speakers, and furnishings.  Whatever...  It's a Numbers Game.   Somebody has to get Hurt.  Things happen.  smile

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=29041

Best!! 

Curt

ramses wrote:

To set things straight. I'm following this forum already several years, but only recently signed up, so I 'know' the sensitivities.
If you read my previous comments you will notice that I also expressed the wish to keep cables out of the discussion.
My only point is that you better communicate your valid point in a 'Merkel' way than in a 'Trump' one.

There is always headroom for improvements ..