Topic: RME ADI 2 DAC FS line output distortion

Hi,

I am looking for some help / advice regarding my RME ADI 2 DAC FS line output distortion issue.
I have been using this DAC for months home between my digital source and my amp with these settings:

line output, auto ref level, +13dBu, 0dBr, NO EQ
No issues, great sound, happiness.

Tonight with the same setup I have experienced audible distortion coming out from my RME ADI 2 DAC FS.
I tested all the components in my setup, unfortunately there is an issue with the DAC.
I tested all the digital inputs of the DAC. Same issue with all the inputs.
There is no sign of any clipping on the display. EQs are OFF.
With headphone it sounds ok.

I tried to lower the output level:
+1dBu, -12,5dBr, NO EQ, sounds fine, but if I higher up with the level audible distortion arrives.

I tried to reset the DAC. It did not solved the problem.

It worked fine for months on "auto ref level, +13dBu, 0dBr, NO EQ", it worked fine this morning.

I tried with two other amps. Same issue.
The system sounds ok with another DAC.

What other things should I check or change to fix this issue?

It could be a setting issue or should I send it to a RME service provider for a hardware inspection?
I bought the DAC in 11/2019.

Thank you for your help!

Re: RME ADI 2 DAC FS line output distortion

Hi BLX!
We need to know more about your setup...

How do you connect your ADI? XLR? RCA?
Your ADI is connectd to what amp?

My guess: you are feeding a hifi amp with a +13 dBu level setting (on the display) with XLR... It means +19 dBu for real (XLR are +6 dB hotter than RCA, see the manual on page 21), and 19 dBu will make most of hifi amp distort...

If you just use the ADI-2 DAC for DAC (so if you have no use for the voume pot on the ADI-2 DAC), you can deactivate auto-vol-ref, lock the volume to 0 dB and set the reference level at +7 or +13 dBu (+1 or +7 dBu on the display): the advised level for hifi gear is 2V RMS (8,24 dBu). See the manual on page 63. smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

Hi BLX!
We need to know more about your setup...

How do you connect your ADI? XLR? RCA?
Your ADI is connectd to what amp?

My guess: you are feeding a hifi amp with a +13 dBu level setting (on the display) with XLR... It means +19 dBu for real (XLR are +6 dB hotter than RCA, see the manual on page 21), and 19 dBu will make most of hifi amp distort...

If you just use the ADI-2 DAC for DAC (so if you have no use for the voume pot on the ADI-2 DAC), you can deactivate auto-vol-ref, lock the volume to 0 dB and set the reference level at +7 or +13 dBu (+1 or +7 dBu on the display): the advised level for hifi gear is 2V RMS  on page 63. smile

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response and help!

I use the ADI DAC's RCA line output. I use average integrated amps. I use line level inputs.

I tried this morning with +13dBu -4dB to have 2V. Unfortunately the audible distortion came back.

I do not think I overload the input of my amps or I overload the output of the DAC.

If I turn off the auto level and set +1dBu 0dB sounds ok some reason, at +7dBu & +13dBu at any level not good.

Hi,
I've been having the exact same problem as the OP.

at +1dBu the distortion is still audible but very very low, however at +7dBu or +13dBu at any volume the distortion goes crazy.
It used to work fine for a couple months and I haven't changed anything in my setup.

I feed my PC's audio through USB to the RME and using the RCA to my Yamaha WXA-50 integrated amplifier which powers my Klipsch desktop monitors. One day when I turned everything on, the distortion started and I could not until this day figure out what is wrong. I tried changing the RCA cables, clearing the power cables from other cables that might cause interference, changed the wall socket, but nothing helped. I'm starting to think that something is broken related to the RCA output inside my unit.

Does anyone have any ideas?

In my case it turned out there was a hardware issue with the DAC.

I had distortion coming out from the DAC's output at +7dBU @0dB and +13dBU 0dB.

RME repaired it. I hope it will last long because it is a really good DAC....! smile

If you think there is still a technical issue with your DAC and all other components are fine in your system, try to contact the local RME distributor.

BLX wrote:

In my case it turned out there was a hardware issue with the DAC.

I had distortion coming out from the DAC's output at +7dBU @0dB and +13dBU 0dB.

RME repaired it. I hope it will last long because it is a really good DAC....! smile

If you think there is still a technical issue with your DAC and all other components are fine in your system, try to contact the local RME distributor.

I still have my 2 years warranty for this unit, so I guess I should use it? I'm a fan of the RME ADI-2 DAC Fs, hopefully it will be repaired or replaced with a properly working one.

Let us know how it goes and what the issue was. Good luck.

Can someone from RME chime in and tell us what is causing those faults? My first thought was voltage regulator or power supply.

Mute transistor at the output always active. The distortion is severe and easy to hear/see (recorded waveform), at 3% THD and more (level dependent).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Mute transistor at the output always active. The distortion is severe and easy to hear/see (recorded waveform), at 3% THD and more (level dependent).

Is it always active because hardware or software fault?

Hardware - the Transistor itself plays short.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME