1 (edited by ivity 2020-04-30 10:29:00)

Topic: ADI-2 FS or ADI-2 PRO FS R BE

Hi!

I'm about to upgrade monitoring path of my trusty FF400 (and FF802 when i will upgrade my FF400 in future), so i have a choice of ADI-2 FS or ADI-2 PRO FS R BE.

I dont really need dsp/usb/display/eq and all bells and whistles of PRO version, but what i need is mastering-grade DAC/headphone amp which will be connected via SPDIF to FF400/FF802.

So my question is: are headphone amp and DAC stages the same in both ADI-2 FS and ADI-2 PRO FS R BE?
Or there are some differences?

As far as i know ADI-2 FS is based on previous version of PRO (non R) model. Is it correct?

Thanks in advance!

Re: ADI-2 FS or ADI-2 PRO FS R BE

The Pro model is more aimed for studio use, the DAC more for HiFi use.

The Pro gives you the following useful features for studio use:
- two D/A converter, useful for comparing phones
- the different output levels more applicable for studio, if memory serves me right, check manual
- not only digital input but also outputs !
- instead of only 1 ADAT IN: ADAT/SPDIF (optical and digital) and AES IN and OUT
- built-in SRC (Sample Rate Converter) which is also extremely useful for studio use

I would take the Pro for studio. And even for HiFi I upgraded now the ADI-2 DAC to ADI-2 Pro FS R BE
as it now has a remote control. This way I can also record stuff from HiFI, eg digitize from turntable and what not.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by ivity 2020-04-30 10:57:19)

Thanks for your answer, but it would be cool to know more about DAC/headphone amp stages differences in ADI-2 FS vs PRO.
The features of PRO model you describes are cool, but i can check them in manual.

Thanks again!

4 (edited by ramses 2020-04-30 11:54:08)

I think this had been asked already here on forum.
Its the same D/A converter. The only difference is the output level, see manual ch33..

Pro: XLR: Output level switchable +24 dBu, +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +4 dBu @ 0 dBFS
        TS: unbalanced, +4/+13+19 dBu, max +19 unlike XLR/balanced +24
vs

DAC: XLR:  +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
        Cinch: Output level 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)

You see from the levels, the Pro is more for the Reference levels you find in the studio.
The DAC is more for what you find in HiFi.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by ivity 2020-04-30 12:23:32)

Thanks for your reply, but i'm asking about ADI-2 FS (not DAC and not PRO version)

https://rme-audio.de/adi-2.html

The descriptions says about "down-scaled version of the ADI-2 Pro's Extreme Power output stage", so i'm curious what exactly does it mean.
Less power on headphone output or scaled-down audio quality too?

6 (edited by ramses 2020-04-30 14:23:54)

Pls see manual or do you need a copy / paste job ? wink

The ADI-2 FS is a pure AD/DA converter which doesn't have a lot of features that the ADI-2 Pro/DAC has as phones preamp.

The ADI-2 FS is more to be seen as a successor of the old ADI-2 FS.

The phones output is there more for monitoring purposes of the signals.

The ADI-2 Pro/* is a different animal, phones preamp, ad/da converter with advanced feature like PEQ, dynamic loudness, support for balanced phones .. guy maybe you should at least read the first pages of the manual of your own which always contains a nice summary of capabilities.

Many thanks for your efforts explaining this as a user.
Manual and NAMM videos telling that ADI-2 FS is kind of stripped down version of PRO FS (not R) without usb/eq/dsp/screen/dual monitoring and etc, but maintaining core sound quality, digital conversion and, at least partly, headphone amplification.
If MC will be kind enough to comment this - i will be very appreciated.

Ivity,

Your intended usage should dictate which Unit is best Suited to you.   Both Units employ the same Tech, and perform to the Highest Specification.    For Home Listening?  The ADI-2 DAC would astonish you.   For Recording,.Vinyl Ripping, etc...the PRO's added capabilities would be more suitable.   Easy Choice, and NO SQ penalty whatsoever,so...let's not go there.

Purchase the device that suits you best.

This is the GOOD STUFF Man! 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Many thanks, Curt!

Ivity,

On those opportunities for me to BE home, I'm a home listener.  Nothing more, or less 

To that end, I cannot believe that I had EVER considered ANY other DAC!    Our inclusion of the RME ADI-2DAC into our Home System has been a most satisfactory, and worthwhile choice.   It's been here nearly 18months, and I wouldn't consider any other. 

Superior Engineering results in a Superior Outcome!

Best Regards!

Curt

Thanks to everyone for your answers and recommendations.
I'm going for "barebone" ADI-2 FS!

Ivity,

Wise Choice! 

Before delivery day, download the User Manual from the RME Website.  Indulge in every page.  The Manual is very well written, and explains everything in complete detail.  Here, over time, we've found that 99.9999% of user questions were easily answered in the User Manual,.so DO avail yourself to it!

You'll be Pleased with your Choice!

Best for Happy Listening

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Ivity,

Wise Choice! 

Before delivery day, download the User Manual from the RME Website.  Indulge in every page.  The Manual is very well written, and explains everything in complete detail.  Here, over time, we've found that 99.9999% of user questions were easily answered in the User Manual,.so DO avail yourself to it!

Best for Happy Listening

Curt

Hi Curt,

just to be sure .. are you aware of that he doesn't talk about the ADI-2 DAC FS ? He talks about the ADI-2 FS ...

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-2.html

ramses wrote:
Curt962 wrote:

Ivity,

Wise Choice! 

Best for Happy Listening

Curt

Hi Curt,

just to be sure .. are you aware of that he doesn't talk about the ADI-2 DAC FS ? He talks about the ADI-2 FS ...

https://www.rme-audio.de/de_adi-2.html

Yes he knows. He’s up-selling products on the account of RME to get a free remote tongue

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

15 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-30 21:02:03)

Thx for the BS N00b. smile  You're ongoing "friendship" makes my Life more complete. big_smile

Ramses, the Poster was informed of the usage conditions upon which to determine which RME waa best for him .  He can make his Choice based on that.  Ja?

Best zu Alles!!

Curt

Whatever, it sounded as if you were giving applause for his decision with the only difference that you seem to mean the ADI-2 DAC where he meant ADI-2 FS .. and that made somehow no sense.