1 (edited by Switch 2020-06-08 00:50:17)

Topic: SOLVED - Can't get new UFX II to work with macbook pro

Howdy folks, I'm hoping someone here can help because I'm so close to tearing my hair out!

I just got a new UFX II, I know it works as I've been able to get it up and running with another macbook pro.

I just cannot get this thing working with my mid 2012 macbook pro. I've tried all the new and not so new drivers, installed & reinstalled many times, but alas, no ability to control or do anything to the UFX II.

I can open Fireface USB settings and see the correct serial number, but changing sample rates/anything changes nothing on the unit. Totalmix FX won't even open the mixer windows. The unit itself displays a sample rate of 32k, which is... odd?

Interestingly, I haven't been able to get the system to block/need me to authorize the RME install to run (I'm on Catalina)... I feel like this is surely part of it?

I've deleted protools as I saw that could possibly be a problem, but no fix. I've rebooted. I've power cycled. I've checked I'm not in Class compliant mode. I've deleted all RME files and tried to start again. Nothing works! sad

Please help!

Computer deets;
  Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro9,2
  Processor Name:    Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    3 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:    Enabled
  Memory:    4 GB
  Boot ROM Version:    231.0.0.0.0
  SMC Version (system):    2.2f44  Model Name:    MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:    MacBookPro9,2
  Processor Name:    Dual-Core Intel Core i5
  Processor Speed:    2.5 GHz
  Number of Processors:    1
  Total Number of Cores:    2
  L2 Cache (per Core):    256 KB
  L3 Cache:    3 MB
  Hyper-Threading Technology:    Enabled
  Memory:    4 GB
  Boot ROM Version:    231.0.0.0.0
  SMC Version (system):    2.2f44

USB 3 bus

Fireface UFX II (23932083):

Product ID:    0x3fc4
  Vendor ID:    0x2a39
  Version:    3.01
  Serial Number: xxx
  Speed:    Up to 480 Mb/s
  Manufacturer:    RME
  Location ID:    0x14100000 / 3
  Current Available (mA):    500
  Extra Operating Current (mA):    0

Re: SOLVED - Can't get new UFX II to work with macbook pro

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply man! I've confirmed RME is allowed with the "/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list" command... but alas, I still have the same problem. sad It persists after reinstalling and rebooting (several times), as well as reboots of the hardware unit.

It's like there's partial communication between the unit and my computer... it can see the device's name and get the serial number, but it doesn't recognise it as an audio device.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Does anyone have a method to delete/uninstall *everything* RME from the system and start from scratch?

If you can open the Settings but have no control over the unit's clock (Internal mode and sample rate) then there is no real communication going on. I would have said the unit is in Class Compliant mode, but then the Settings shouldn't open. Still you could connect it back to the working computer and check the CC setting at the unit:

Remove USB cable from the UFX II. Press SETUP/REV. Turn encoder 1 until Options appears in the display. Turn encoder 2 until Hardware/Diagnosis appears. Push encoder 2 several times to select the entry CC Mode. Turn encoder 2 to deactivate CC mode.

Also check that the unit's firmware is latest 20 (11 7). 18 and lower had boot problems in some cases.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Alrighty, have confirmed that it's not in CC mode on the unit (CC mode is in "off"). I've tried switching it to CC mode then back out again just to make sure... still the same problem.

Also I was able to update the firmware on the unit to the latest version a couple of days ago using the functioning computer at my work, so it's definitely up to date.

Still no luck! :'(

MC wrote:

If you can open the Settings but have no control over the unit's clock (Internal mode and sample rate) then there is no real communication going on. I would have said the unit is in Class Compliant mode, but then the Settings shouldn't open. Still you could connect it back to the working computer and check the CC setting at the unit:

Remove USB cable from the UFX II. Press SETUP/REV. Turn encoder 1 until Options appears in the display. Turn encoder 2 until Hardware/Diagnosis appears. Push encoder 2 several times to select the entry CC Mode. Turn encoder 2 to deactivate CC mode.

Also check that the unit's firmware is latest 20 (11 7). 18 and lower had boot problems in some cases.

That only leaves trying a different USB port and cable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Dang, ok. Well, I've used the same cable in all tests so far (only thing that's changed has been the computer connecting to it) which indicates the cable is working fine, right? Or is the crazy possibility that this particular machine would be super sensitive to USB cables!?

With that unlikely possibility off the table, I have no more USB ports native to the machine in question... what are the chances of it working via a USB dock/hub run off the TB1 port? I assume this would use a different USB engine?

Thanks so much for your help so far btw.

MC wrote:

That only leaves trying a different USB port and cable.

Yes, the TB port would use a different USB. Please try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Argh, I tried using the TB port with one of these -> https://www.startech.com/au/Networking- … ~TB2USB3GE...

No luck.

MC wrote:

The unit behaves just as before, changing to a 32k sample rate on connection, but not responding to anything via computer, and unable to open totalmix.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that during the first rounds of trying to install the driver, I was waiting for the "blocked" notification in system preferences to show up after an install, but it was taking a while so I hit the "restart now" button from the installer dialogue... and just as things were shutting down, I did see the "blocked" notification pop up, but obviously it was too late. Is it possible this altered something? Even though I've done this https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462 since?

Other possibility; again during the early attempts of install, I did an install and went to restart (no blocked notification), but after a long while of staring at a black screen, it became apparent that the computer wasn't restarting, so I had to do a hard power cycle. Could this have interrupted something that can't be overwritten with a new install?

Bump?

MC wrote:

Hiya MC, I've tried, but still no luck. Any other suggestions?

12 (edited by Switch 2020-06-08 00:55:51)

Howdy folks,

Finally some good news after a harrowing few weeks as seen in this thread -> https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30617.

In brief; despite every advised avenue being taken, I could not get the UFXII to properly talk to my macbook pro.

The fix; After digging and digging (and digging), I found a particular quirk with some macs not updating their firmware when they do an OS update... and there's a particular procedure you need to do if you're one of the lucky ones. The procedure is here -> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208691#update

I did the thing, then re-installed the latest available driver... and I could not believe my eyes, but it's working now!

Please, if someone wants to document this a little better or sticky it, please go ahead, because I was scarily close to buying a new computer just to get this damn thing working.

Folks! Fix has been found!

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30859

Switch wrote:

Doesn’t appear to work. Do you have the correct link?

ufx ii / bfp

wderganc wrote:
Switch wrote:

Doesn’t appear to work. Do you have the correct link?

Hmm, quite right, my other post seems to have disappeared. In any event, the magic link is https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208691#update and the details are above. smile