51 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-19 21:04:28)

Re: ADI-2 DAC direct connect to power amp

You realize Ezra, that this is a Timed Event. the results of which will go into your Permanent File held by RME at an undisclosed, underground location in DE  smile

Alas...

Use this opportunity to gain a bit of familiarity with the Menus/Sub Menus.  Makes things easier each time.

Have fun!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

KaiS wrote:

Yes, you pre-set the audio level with the volume knob.
Then control the final loudness with the "LOUDNESS" control.
In the result quite close to the RME variant.

Funny sidenote:
I effectively could get a balanced sound impression over a wide volume range using RME's Loudness.
Despite that, it feels unnatural to me NOT to have the sound change when dialing down the volume.
As an audio professional I am so used to it!

I’m not a professional but am still able to find this feature to be a must have!!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

My experience is, that I do not need dynamic loudness when watching TV for streamed music.
Its always the same volume level.

On my recording / computer workplace this is different. There dynamic loudness is permanently in use.
For normal listening levels its turned off, of course (mixing, mastering, enjoying music).
But when I work over day, then I can turn the music down by -15 dB or even lower and there dynamic loudness really shines.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

54 (edited by N00b 2020-05-20 12:28:57)

On mine dynamic loudness is always on (except for headphones).
And it’s very useful when I watch TV at home late at night with low volume to not bother the family who is sleeping. Same for music listening at night... it’s really useful at home!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Curt962 wrote:

You realize Ezra, that this is a Timed Event. the results of which will go into your Permanent File held by RME at an undisclosed, underground location in DE  smile

Alas...

Use this opportunity to gain a bit of familiarity with the Menus/Sub Menus.  Makes things easier each time.

Have fun!

Curt

Hehehe, yes, that's exactly what I'm doing, and preparing the next batch of questions, I think we should even open another thread big_smile

Bring 'em on Ezra.   Yours has been a fun Thread.   We all like these!

Enjoy!!

Curt

KaiS wrote:

Yes, you pre-set the audio level with the volume knob.
Then control the final loudness with the "LOUDNESS" control.
In the result quite close to the RME variant.

Funny sidenote:
I effectively could get a balanced sound impression over a wide volume range using RME's Loudness.
Despite that, it feels unnatural to me NOT to have the sound change when dialing down the volume.
As an audio professional I am so used to it!

This is a very interesting point and an obvious difference why we pros listen at different levels to a final mix or judge the highs and lows of an single instrument and not for pure enjoyment. Interestingly we or at leat I, do listen for enjoyability at those different levels (if it is music meant to be enjoyed) and correct to taste for
no muddiness
foundation
warmth
clarity
detail
no harshness
etc etc
But it is not something we look for in a DAC, but something we need to create.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

58 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-28 15:02:22)

Hi Vincent!  Nice to see you here again

However...  Music to be Enjoyed?  All Audio people know that Music is simply a tool to enjoy Gear!  big_smile

Poor Ezra.  He only wanted to connect his new Amplifier, and then the NEVER outspoken "Me" had to muddy the waters with the Dynamic Loudness function of the ADI-2 DAC. smile

Guys, it seems that the the Scientific/Physiological Premise of Loudness Compensation has been discussed ad Nauseum already, and I simply wish to encourage it's use to a Home Listener.   Per the User Manual...+/- a little....

I find the feature extremely welcome!

Best to all,

Curt

@Curt it was a reaction only to it feels unnatural to me NOT to have the sound change when dialling down the volume which was somewhat of an eye opener cause I feel the same but was not a3ware why, I need the sound to change when producing. If you can, read again. It is simply the difference between trying to create enjoyable music and having an enjoyable listening enviroment and yes it is way off topic for the OP.

Vincent, Amsterdam

Hi again Vincent!

We know why the Sound changes as the Volume is decreased.  Fletcher and Munson explained this nearly 100yrs ago.

Well...I wasn't REALLY there, so I rely on the Text Books.  smile

Understood, we're in a Technical Forum...but I believe we can reach a point of information overload with a new, home user.   You certainly understand.

Nice to see you here once again!

Curt

61 (edited by vinark 2020-05-28 15:33:15)

This may come over as irritated and I am indeed mildly, but I did not ask you to police (judge there relevance) my posts. We all bring a different flavour to this forum and enjoy reading and posting here (my only reason) and this post has made my stay her less enjoyable, unintended I know for sure, but never the less. So next time please say something friendly in between the nice to see you....
My post was simply, I like your side note KaiS no need for you to react at all.

Vincent, Amsterdam

62 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-28 16:18:35)

No harm intended Vincent.  You know better of me... 

Common Core of Communication is my only point.   There is simply no greater victory than speaking to a person in their own beginner language, and seeing them learn!  I learned my profession much in this manner.

Be Well!

Curt