1 (edited by Nostoi 2020-05-02 13:10:28)

Topic: Line Out XLR query

Hi, i'm using line out XLR on my RME ADI-2 to connect to a Pathos Aurium amp. I understand XLR offers up to +19 dBu but I cannot see this in the Line Out options - it only goes up to +13 dBu. Can anyone help?

Note - I do not have any DSP features running.

Thanks.

Re: Line Out XLR query

As said in the manual, the balanced output are 6 dB higher than the unbalanced one. So when you are at +13 dBu unbalanced, the XLR are at +19 dBu.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:

As said in the manual, the balanced output are 6 dB higher than the unbalanced one. So when you are at +13 dBu unbalanced, the XLR are at +19 dBu.

And this is the case even when the volume displays +13 dBu? Would it not have been sensible for the display to read +19 dBu to avoid ambiguity?

4 (edited by N00b 2020-05-02 17:38:36)

Nostoi wrote:
N00b wrote:

And this is the case even when the volume displays +13 dBu? Would it not have been sensible for the display to read +19 dBu to avoid ambiguity?

Both line outputs can be used at the same time (each one have its own driver), so maybe it would have been complicated to display which one(s) is/are used. The ADI doesn’t know which one you use.

The dBu shown on the display is the value for the unbalanced outputs. The balanced one are 6 dB higher.

See manual on page 20:

Line Output: Ref Level Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:
Nostoi wrote:
N00b wrote:

Both line outputs can be used at the same time (each one have its own driver), so maybe it would have been complicated to display which one(s) is/are used. The ADI doesn’t know which one you use.

The dBu shown on the display is the value for the unbalanced outputs. The balanced one are 6 dB higher.

See manual on page 20:

Line Output: Ref Level Sets the reference level for the analog outputs. Choices are -5 dBu, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu at the RCA output, referenced to digital full scale level (0 dBFS). The levels at the XLR output are 6 dB higher, +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu.

Many thanks, that's helpful.