1 (edited by androcci 2020-05-03 19:59:05)

Topic: ADI-2 PRO FS R vs MADIFACE XT as DAC and DAW Audio Interface

Hello, this is my first post. It might be an obvious thing for 99% of the members here.
I originally bought my ADI-2 PRO FS R mainly to kill 2 birds in one shot. It has Balanced analog outputs(3/4 & 1/2) and XLR outputs for my high res audio and my focal utopia as well as onscreen EQ. Also analog XLR analog inputs, believe me I have no complains.

I recently saw the MADIFACE XT having a huge amount of analog inputs and outputs. Also it has a monitor headphone output on the front. This does not have a built in EQ screen but can I use totalmix FX to tweak the EQ going out to the headphone output?

on an earlier post in 2018 somebody reported a latency issue when using the ADI2 PRO FS as an audio interface which ADI2 PRO was never design to do that but it seems the problem was a Mac issue. This could be fixed is in max by using TOTALMIX FX but that is not available in the ADI-2 PRO.

How does the DAC of the MADIFACE XT compares to the ADI-2 PRO FS R balanced output? can I just go with the MADIFACE XT and enjoy high res files as a DAC and also use it as an audio interface for logic pro? anybody compared both side by side? will I miss the ADI2 PRO? should I get A DAC ONLY dedicated device + MADIFACE XT combo? vs ADI2 PRO FS R. I know they are a lot of questions.

Thank you!! smile

Regards,

Andrés

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-03 19:59:19)

Re: ADI-2 PRO FS R vs MADIFACE XT as DAC and DAW Audio Interface

> I recently saw the MADIFACE XT having a huge amount of analog inputs and outputs

No, this device has 3 MADI busses with 64 channels @44.1/48 kHz sample rate per bus.

This makes it possible to connect external devices like
- mic preamps
- AD/DA converters
- format converters

Then you get your desired analog channels, but then you also need to invest into additional devices.
Otherwise you have only the potential to get those channels, but not by the device alone.
Its similar to ADAT, but there are differences:
- channels @44.1/48: ADAT: 8, MADI: 64
- max cable length: ADAT: 10-15m, MADI: 2km between 2 devices
- type of cable: ADAT: TOSLINK, MADI: multimode fiber: OM3/OM4

Besides the 3 MADI busses the XT offers:
- 2 analog Mic/Line inputs (XLR/TRS)
- 2 analog outputs (balanced) for speakers
- 2 analog outputs (unbalanced) for phones
- AES
- 1x MIDI
- 3x MIDI over MADI for remote controlling RME devices over MADI bus

> This does not have an EQ built but can I use totalmix FX to tweak the EQ going into my headphone output?
The Madiface XT has a full implementation of FX chip, thus it also has an EQ.
But this EQ has only 3 bands and is not compareable with the ADI-2 Pro/DAC PEQ.

> so how does the headphone DAC of the MADIFACE XT compares to the ADI-2 PRO FS R
The phones outputs are different, all the technical data is in the manual ...

> can I just go with the MADIFACE XT and enjoy high res files as a DAC
You can use it like a DAC but it doesn't have the features of the ADI-2 Pro.
Read the manual of the ADI-2 Pro.
After a few pages you will see what options this device has.
This is definitively more compare to the phones output of a normal recording interface.

The XT won't support DSD formats, has no PEQ, has no dynamic loudness, no high power phones outputs, no crossfeed, no sample rate conversion feature, no support for balanced phones, etc etc come on, pls read the manual on your own and get a clue.

There is no side by side comparison necessary, its a completely different feature set.

If you need it, I compiled a list of different recording interfaces:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.ph … 0-04-xlsx/

And here how you can integrate an ADI-2 Pro into your recording environment:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

Not knowing your aims and budget, but .. thumbs into the air ...
Get an UFX II or UFX+ together with ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and you have a fabulous environment.
Optional: ARC USB for a little more operational comfort.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for your time sir! you answered all my questions.

I am sorry I just found out about RME about 3 or 4 weeks ago and I got the ADI2 DAC PRO yesterday. Had almost no time to read the manual. I have just plugged into it and enjoyed them right out of the box, amazing device. The UFX+ specs are amazing, I will definitely get it. It will cover everything I need as I evolve my skill set. Thanks for the recommendations!! smile

And the UFX+ offers one MADI bus, offers lots of possibilities to scale up.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13