1 (edited by Charith 2020-05-05 16:13:47)

Topic: FIREFACE UC and Macbook Pro 16"on Catalina - Works?

Hi All,

I am awaiting my new Macbook pro and was a bit concerned with all the discussion in this forum around compatibility issues and workarounds highlighted when using FIREFACE UC.  RME customer service confirmed that with the latest catalina update all concerns have been solved.  I am planning on connecting the interface with a basic USB to USB-C adapter.

Want to confirm with current users that this should not turn out to be an issue.  Appreciate any feedback.  Thanks a bunch!

CW

2 (edited by FireFace400Lover 2020-05-07 11:55:02)

Re: FIREFACE UC and Macbook Pro 16"on Catalina - Works?

Hi,

tested a MacBookPro 2019 16" yesterday in combination with a FireFace UC.
It worked flawlessly for an hour or so. After that Logic always stopped recording after a while in combination with a high buzzing sound. Sounded like some digital crackles.
Very disappointed!
The Fireface UC was connected via a USB-C Docking
I´ll give it a try with a USB-C to USB-Adapter. So that the Fireface UC is connected directly to the USB-C Port on the Mac (via the USB-C to USB-A Adapter Cable) Hope it works!

I highly appreciate recommendations for adapters - or any ideas how I can get a MacBook Pro 2019 16" work flawlessly with my beloved FireFace UC

Hey brother, I got my MBP yesterday and seems to be working flawlessly with USB to USB C (Made by Apple).  Fingers crossed. 
Getting used to the size and weight of the 16” and loving it

4 (edited by FireFace400Lover 2020-05-08 16:03:15)

Thanks for your answer!
It doesn't work over here. Fireface UC connected via a USB-C Dock - getting crackles and digital glitches randomly - even while watching youtube. Logic stops recording absolutely randomly. Can work great for 2 hours and than it stops recording after 2 minutes.

I'll give it a try with a USB-C to USB-A Adapter.

But I find it kind of ridiculous. It's a top notch machine. Newest MacBookPro 2019 i9 8-core processor 32 GB RAM.

I was able to do a test in which I had over 150 tracks in a Logic Project. I recorded 18 Tracks at once into it at 64 Samples Buffer Size. At the same time I rendered a movie in Final Cut Pro X - Not a problem for that machine.

1 hour later - recording vocals, 1 (!) Audio Track to a stereo Backing track: Getting glitches and Logic stops recording....

any advices or infos from RME about that are highly appreciated.
I'm a RME User since 2008 and I love RME - I really hope that the USB-C to USB-A Adapter does the trick.

It's frustrating that the newest Hardware of Apple makes it so hard to work with RME Products. I was used to a time where everything from RME I plugged into my mac from 2012 just worked flawlessy. Nevermind adapters and what ports are used etc...

bets regards

any advices or infos from RME about that are highly appreciated.

Remove the defective dock/adapter and everything should be fine.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thanks for your answer Jeff,

well I understand that a "direct" connection from the Fireface UC to an USB-C Port on the MacBook Pro via a USB-C to USB-A Adapter should be the solution.

But I wanna make clear that the dock ain't defective. Everything connected to it works flawlessly - e.g. harddrives and/or monitors.
While testing I had harddrives and monitors connected AND in a 2nd test disconnected from the Dock - meaning the Fireface UC was connected to the dock with other devices AND I tried to connect only the fireface uc to the dock - same result. Working great for a certain amount of time and getting glitches and Logic stopping to record after a while anyways.

So I hope for the best - I'm getting a USB-C to USB-A Adapter and will waste one USB-C port on the MacBook Pro....
if it works I can live with it. And I´ll be a happy RME User :-)

Are there any recommended hubs/docks ?

I'd love to know that, too!

The OWC docks were working well in the past, when Apple was having trouble with direct connections on USB-C.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

10 (edited by ElectricBlue 2020-08-09 17:55:57)

Hi, can not get it to work. Brand new Mackooc Pro 16" and 10.15.6.
Did not work yesterday after several attempts then this morning it started working, Now it's not working again.
It did appear in the security settings once and I could approve it as described but since then it does not show when trying to reinstall. Hesitant to try the scripting solution...

I have had this interface for many years and not once has it failed but now it is totally impossible to get working...

Solved:
Installed the 3.18 and got the message about security issue. Approved and restarted the laptop/soundcard.

BR
Johan
Fireface UC, Ableton Live 11, macOS Ventura

11 (edited by Helmut Crab 2020-08-16 12:09:41)

i never even got to try 16" mbp with rme interface as it refused to stay connected to wireless router despite trying everything apple and service provider suggested. All other devices never had a problem. I had similar issue with 2018 15" mbp.

My experience suggests a lack of support for current mac OS networking in UK (?).  We have no network issues with android and windows 10.

There appears to be many issues with usb 2 to usb c in general since 2016 mac os.

Had to return two new macs in two years so not been able to use new interface.

Synthax response to me regarding the audio issues documented here for over two years was quote ' you are not going to let a few audio drop outs stop you from using apple are you ?'

I can not keep a £3k computer that does not stay connected to router and will probably drop out audio if i do get it connected......after return period.

I am not the only one with this issue either https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 72#p157872

ElectricBlue wrote:

Hi, can not get it to work. Brand new Mackooc Pro 16" and 10.15.6.
Did not work yesterday after several attempts then this morning it started working, Now it's not working again.
It did appear in the security settings once and I could approve it as described but since then it does not show when trying to reinstall. Hesitant to try the scripting solution...

I have had this interface for many years and not once has it failed but now it is totally impossible to get working...

Solved:
Installed the 3.18 and got the message about security issue. Approved and restarted the laptop/soundcard.

Hello guys!

I too have the same problems.... :'''(

So, you fixed the audio dropout issues? I think partly it is caused by Kernel extension of the Catalina OS

But can you confirm the RME runs smooth now after you reinstall the RME drivers? or is it the flash update?

Appreciate if anyone can advice on this