1 (edited by androcci 2020-05-10 19:57:53)

Topic: RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE Analog Outputs problem

Hello I recently got my first DAC the RME ADI2 PRO

Both cables used TRS(male) to XLR(Female)

The speakers are a pair of focal trio6 BE on the back of them they both have XLR inputs and a toggle switch between +4dbu and -10dBV on each.
The analog outputs I am using are TRS cables on the back of the RME. For some reason if both speakers are set to the same input sensitivity, let's say +4dBu. The left speaker will be attenuated by like 12 dBs and to compensate I would need to increase the volume by 12dB on the left channel. I can get rid of the RME compensation If I toggle the switch on the back of the left speaker to -10dBV. I have tried Swapping the inputs Left speaker to the right and the Left speaker still being weak at the same SI. This doesn't happen with my other audio equipment. I am just puzzled.

According to the speaker manual about the sensitivity input says...

This selector allows you to adjust the input sensitivity of the monitor speaker according to the source (mixing console, sound card...). If the source transmits an audio signal via an unbalanced line, set the input sensitivity of the monitor speaker to -10 dBV. If the audio signal is transmitted via a balanced line, set the input sensitivity of the monitor speaker to +4dBu.

I own a YAMAHA MONTAGE and when I plug in the same cables into the balanced outputs (Left & Right) I don't get the same issue with my speakers. They are pretty even on the volume and I can clearly see the speakers vibrate at the same intensity and even when I place my finger gently on the woofer, they vibrate with the same force. When I switch back to the RME again the problem comes back. I can't pin point where the problem is, should I just compensate and forget about it? is this normal? I hope there are some focal trio6 BE owners here. Thank you!

2 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-10 23:24:40)

Re: RME ADI-2 PRO FS R BE Analog Outputs problem

ADI-2's 6.3mm jack outs are unbalanced (manual page 69).
Probably one of you cables is wired different to the other.

Swap cables left and right.
Does the problem follow the cable?

Get youself XLRfemale to XLRmale cables for fully balanced connection.
No advantage with expensive HiFi voodoo cables (except for the seller).

Go to a musicians store and buy two microphone cables with genuine Neutrik connectors.
About 30€ at max, like this high quality professional one:
https://www.rockshop.de/klotz-m2fm1-050 … -xlrm-xlrf

You are right they were bought off amazon, so they can't be trusted. What I can tell you so far, after I posted I tried using the front Left (3/4) input to the left speaker and the front right (1/2) input to the right speaker. I got the same problem where the left speaker was weak on the dB. I then swapped the cables, left speaker on right(1/2) input and right speaker to left (3/4) front input on the RME. The problem went away, both are working just fine at the same volume. I really don't want to think is the RME, it got it new from B&H. I will confirm after I order some XLR cables from a reliable reseller, I will order them overnight. I have a focal dealer who can source me the right cables like the ones you mentioned. Thank you so much Kai.

KaiS wrote:

ADI-2's 6.3mm jack outs are unbalanced (manual page 69).
Probably one of you cables is wired different to the other.

Swap cables left and right.
Does the problem follow the cable?

Get youself XLRfemale to XLRmale cables for fully balanced connection.
No advantage with expensive HiFi voodoo cables (except for the seller).

Go to a musicians store and buy two microphone cables with genuine Neutrik connectors.
About 30€ at max, like this high quality professional one:
https://www.rockshop.de/klotz-m2fm1-050 … -xlrm-xlrf

It's possible to use the front 1/2 3/4 outputs like you described.

But - you have go to:
Setup and activate "Balanced Phones Mode".
Only this way signal routing is correct, and the outpt levels are linked then for left and right.