Topic: RME ADI-2 FS input and output reference levels

I have ADI-2 FS conected via XLR cables to Focal Solo 6be active studio monitors (+4dBu on the monitors). How to set analog input and output levels since there is no auto function on ADI-2 FS?

Re: RME ADI-2 FS input and output reference levels

https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2fs_e.pdf
TFM tells you on page 12, ch 10.1, that your ADI-2 FS supports 3 different input / output levels:
Input sensitivity switchable: +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu @ 0 dBFS
Output level switchable:       +4 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu @ 0 dBFS

So if your monitors support +4 dBu then simply choose +4 dBu on the ADI-2 FS as well and done wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

For "ANALOG INPUT" set LEVEL to make the LED meters show the highest possible level without the red OVR coming on.

Mostly +4dBu fits for HiFi eqiupment.

For the output the lowest +4dBu probably fits best.

Only if maxing the Analog Output "VOL" does not give enough loudness on your monitor switch one step higher.

For Digital- (DIG) and Analog loop-through (ANA) please read manual page 11.
Turn the VOL very low while switching this to avoid excessive levels on the monitors, ADI-2 can boost the input up to 15dB depending on in and out LEVEL setting.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-05-19 07:38:55)

no1livz4ever> How to set analog input and output levels

BTW .. why analog inputs ? You only need to set analog outputs for your monitors ... ?!

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I have my turntable MC phono preamp connected to analog inputs via RCA-TS cables.

no1livz4ever wrote:

I have my turntable MC phono preamp connected to analog inputs via RCA-TS cables.

Ah ok, this makes sense.

MC phono preamps have relatively low output, lower than 2V of CD players. But in the manual there is also a part that says ADI-2 senses unbalanced signals and raises the level by 6dB.

8 (edited by KaiS 2020-05-19 08:25:21)

no1livz4ever wrote:

...  in the manual there is also a part that says ADI-2 senses unbalanced signals and raises the level by 6dB.

On the output only.
Such function is not possible on inputs in general.

Don't worry, you don't need fullscale level at ADI-2's input to preserve the dynamic range of your turntable.

Go +4dBu input, maybe analog loop through if you just want to listen, not record the turntable.

I'll try like that. When just listening I'll use ANA, it seems from the description in manual that is the best way to "preserve" the quality of the signal.

Sry, whats "ANA" ?

Analog loop through - analog output level (ANA)?

12 (edited by ramses 2020-05-19 09:18:27)

no1livz4ever wrote:

Analog loop through - analog output level (ANA)?

Ah ok, just found it in the manual and yes you are right, by this you save additional AD/DA conversions.
Didn't know about this featurs (I do not own this device).
A very useful feature.

In comparison to this the ADI-2 Pro's design is to perform A/D conversion, then the routing and D/A.
The ADI-2 Pro has no Analog Loop Through mode.