1 (edited by Lunatic Sound 2020-05-20 11:18:47)

Topic: Babyface crackles, when turning on OctaMic II

Hello everyone,

I am using an OctaMic II via optical ADAT going into the Babyface.

When I turn on the OctaMic, it makes the Babyface crackle and pop really loud for about half a second. Is there a way to prevent that?

Thank you for your support.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-06-07 13:22:44)

Re: Babyface crackles, when turning on OctaMic II

EDITED for better understanding:

I am wondering whats the difference to this old posting from 2018:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 37#p136437

You never told whether you got crackling problems of 2018 fixed in the past 2y.

So the questions remain for me
- whether this is still your old problem or how you fixed the problem or
- whether this is a new problem, then the question is, what changed  in the setup.

Therefore information about your current computer and setup would have been useful
to be able to identify a difference in e.g. either hardware , operating system when
comparing it with the information provided in your post from 2018.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Lunatic Sound 2020-06-07 18:48:58)

Hello Ramses,

I do not understand your first question and I don´t know, which thread you are referring to, sorry.

I do understand your second question. Yes, I thought so, because it seems to be a problem very unrelated to my computer. When I turn on the OctaMicII, it will immediately send a loud crackling through all outputs of the Babyface.

You seem to disagree, so I will add further information:

Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Intel I7 @ 4 GhZ, 16 GB Ram.

No other programs involved apart from Total Mix 1.61. The Babyface is on firmware revision 225, driver 1.168.

The Octamic II is connected to the Babyface via an optical ADAT connection, which is the only possibe way, at least I thought so.

I am sorry, if I offended you. If possible, please refrain from using too many exclamation marks, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Thank you!

edit: Typo in the firmware version.

No information on clocking - are you aware one has to be master, the other one slave? Check the Settings dialog when you turn on the OctaMic II.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes, thank you, I am aware of that, but that seems like a good lead to a possible source of error.

The Babyface´s clock source is set to "Optical In", and the OctaMicII has all the dip switches in the upper position, so it is set to 44.1khZ and to internal clock.

When I turn on the OctaMic, the Babyface´s current clock mode switches from Internal to ADAT. Should I change the clocking? When using the Babyfaces internal clock, I get synchronisation errors between the two devices of course, so should I send a clock FROM the Babyface to the OctaMicII instead? Is there a way to do that?

Thank you very much for your help.

6 (edited by ramses 2020-06-07 13:27:15)

Pls re-read my post#2 which I updated. I wondered that you posted similar issues in 2018, this was also about crackling.
I am simply wondering whether these are the same problem or whether you fixed it in between.
In 2018 you posted information about your setup but not now
although this would have been interesting, whether something in the computer / OS / etc changed...
Its the 1st thing to ask for .. "what changed" if problems of all suddean appear or maybe re-appear like in your case.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I see!

It is not the same issue, just sounds similar description wise.

This current problem is there since I bought the Octa Mic II and it happens consistently every time, I turn the OctaMicII on.

OFF TOPIC: Since you asked: I do not know, why, but the old problem just went away. I know, that sounds dumb, but that´s all I can say. It is hard to say, when exactly the problem went away, because it did not show up consistently either. So at some point, I just realized, it didn´t happen anymore. I do try to keep my drivers up to date, but since RME support stated, it was a USB problem on my side, I am at a loss to give any further insights.

Thank you for clarifying.

I have fireface400 and mine crackles when I turn my Kemper rack on because the Kemper is connected SPDIF and Kemper is set as the clock source.  I have everything connected to a FURMAN strip (kemper and dynaudio bm6 speakers) so I just deal and live with the crackle since I am not sure how to make it not do that.

I terms of the old issue. USB drivers on OS side also change from time to time ... so it could be that one of the updates solved the issue.

In terms of your current issue, if I understand it correctly now, it only happens when powering-on the OctaMic II ? If this is the case then it might not be a clocking problem, but to check clock settings is surely not a bad idea by general means.

Just a guess: maybe during the initialization of the OctaMic device some random information is being sent though ADAT.

I think you could validate this by muting the ADAT input before powering-on the OctaMic II.

If muting the ADAT input on the BBF fixes the issue, then I would suggest to mute the input per default
and to unmute it only if you intend to work with the device.

Good luck.

Also crackles are more likely when the sample rate changes, for example from 48 kHz to 44.1 kHz.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

11 (edited by Lunatic Sound 2020-06-08 12:12:42)

I checked again, there is no change of Sample rate occuring. It´s 44.1 kHz before and after turning on the OctaMicII.

The crackling IS being sent via ADAT, yes! Actually, I wonder how this escaped me so long, but it´s loudest on channels AS1/2. The other 6 ADAT channels only click when turning the OctaMic on and off. Still undesirable, but definitely less bad than the really loud crackling on channels AS1/2.

So as a workaround, it is feasible to mute channels AS1/2 for turning the OctaMicII on.

But still, if there was a way to prevent this, that would be much preferrable.

Is nobody else having this issue?

The workaround is not really a solution, because occasionally turning on the OctaMicII will produce a VERY loud pop on all the ADAT input channels. Like, potentially damaging the speakers loud. Luckily, I have genelec speakers with limiters, but still, not good at all.

I would be really thankful for help. Is there any more information I can provide? Anything, I can try?

Specifically, is there a different way to set up the clocking than clocking the Babyface from the Octamic? (as I stated, the OctaMicII is the Master clock and the Babyface is the slave right now. Should I change that?)

Thank you for your support.

More tests:

Sometimes the pops will even come through, when all ADAT input channels are muted. I can see no signal on other channels in Total Mix though.

It will also pop, when the Babyface is set to its internal clock. So it does not seem to be a clocking issue.

When the OctaMicII is already turned on, and I then switch the Babyface´s clocking from internal to Optical In, it will also pop!

I am really scared to do any further experiments, because I cannot stand seeing the limiter flash on my speakers anymore...

These latest statements make me wonder if you are operating BF and Genelecs on totally wrong reference levels:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=25399

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

15 (edited by Lunatic Sound 2020-09-08 14:26:14)

Thank you for the link. Attenuating should help a little.

EDIT: Actually, it doesn´t. My speakers are turned up a bit too loud, but the crackling is on my headphones, too, and it´s just as unpleasant there as well.

Could you please answer me the following 2 questions?

1) Is a noise reaching about half of the input meter for RMS and 0db peak in TotalMix on channels AS1/2 to be expected, when turning on the OctaMicII, with the OctaMicII being the master clock?

2) Is there a way to instead make the Babyface the master clock? I could not find a way to do so in the manual.

Thank you very much.

Edit: Specified levels of noise.

16 (edited by ramses 2020-06-14 15:56:07)

to 2) like always .. clock source "internal" in the driver settings.

Pls see manual, ch 8.1 + 8.2, p. 15ff: https://www.rme-audio.de/download/bface_pro_fs_e.pdf

"Clock Source
The unit can be configured to use its own clock (Internal = Master) or the digital input signal
(Optical = Slave). If the external source isn't available (Input Status No Lock), the unit will
change to the internal clock. The current clock source is displayed as Current."

[...]

But the OctaMicII does not have an optical input and the Babyface does not have a AES output, right?

Which is, why I was thinking, it is not possible.

18 (edited by ramses 2020-06-14 19:50:39)

Lunatic Sound wrote:

But the OctaMicII does not have an optical input and the Babyface does not have a AES output, right?

Which is, why I was thinking, it is not possible.

Sorry, I understood your question differently to be isolated to the BBF Pro.

The only digital synch options that the OctaMic II offers is according to its manual ch 9:
1. WC
2. AES (coax)

WC is not available on the BBF Pro.

Maybe synchronization via the Octamic's AES port would be an option.

I read in this thread about an optical SPDIF to coax SPDIF converter
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=18780

Then you would need additionally a special cable further towards the OctaMicII.

I never did this on my own, maybe RME or somebody else can give a recommendation whether this could work
and which components you could use.

19 (edited by Lunatic Sound 2020-09-08 14:27:17)

So if there ever happens to be somebody with the same problem, I just want to report my failures in looking for a solution and tell you, that there does not seem to be one. I talked to RME tech support on the phone (which is hilaaaariously relaxed) and after he gave me the obligatory "You dumbass probably didn´t configure the clocking right" procedure, which didn´t yield any results, he said:

"Yeah, I haven´t heard of that problem before. I don´t know, what to do about that. What a bummer. Bye!"

German tech support. It was so funny, that I am not really angry about it and will just keep it the way, that I always turn on the OctaMicII, before powering on my computer...

Thanks for your kind words.. It wasn't clear in your phonecall initially that the issue only occurs when you switch on the unit. So of corse I asked about clocking. You'll find the same question in this thread right here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 96#p155396
And you'll also see that this is not a common or known issue. It would be helpful to test this with another ADAT device. Perhaps it's something the Octamic does when powering up, but again, not a common or known issue.
Switching on the Octa first is definitely a good workaround.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Thanks for your kind words..
RME

No, thank you for your support!

Switching on the OctaMicII first is of course actually a rather bad workaround, but I created a workspace with all channels muted and now I quick select that All Muted workspace and switch back after turning on the OctaMicII. Still not perfect, but the best solution I found so far.

Hey Lunatic Sound, have you tried changing the sample rate on the octamic II? I once had kind of this problem (but with different products) and switching the preamp to another sample rate, then turn it on, then off , then switch back to desired 44.1 took away the turn on crackles permanently.

Babyface Pro FS, MSI GS66, Studio One

23 (edited by dgstr 2021-02-20 20:19:49)

If I may chime in... I have a similar problem I noticed today which is reproducible: Whenever I connect or disconnect a USB device, no matter which port (did try 3 different ports, not all), my audio does this: slight click/crackle - about 1.5s silence - slight click/crackle, the whole sequence repeating 2 times (so 3 times total).

It happened with 2 different USB devices. Power management manually turned off on all ports, and generally the power plan is set to highest performance. Latest Windows from 2 weeks ago, RME drivers just as old.

Also my Analog Rytm (which is not connected via USB, is only connected via Midi to my USB-powered Gm5x5x5 Midi interface) goes into play mode (stop button light goes out, first step lights up, but doesn't move to the second one), so I guess my Midi interface gets reset somehow. At the same time as the mentioned 3-click-sequence appears, in FL Studio the mouse pointer becomes a watch 3 times (like "loading..."; this only happens with the pointer in FL Studio, not in other Windows windows; the sound disappears also only in FL Studio, which is using the Raydat output. Windows sound is unaffected, be it routed through a Raydat output or the cheap HDMI sound output), while the event comment field (the line on the top left below the menu telling you what the function of buttons is when you mouse over) tells me that "midi devices have changed... refreshing...".

Btw I'm not using a babyface but a Raydat. But I doubt this is relevant because most issues I was facing with RME stuff I found discussed with all kinds of devices. Guess it's a driver issue. I also guess it has to do with USB, not any device in particular.

God I hate USB.

Oh btw I thought it might have to do with syncing, but I have Swissonic converters, one of which is the clock master. But then I would have expected the "sync" status in "input status" in the Hammerfall DSP settings window to flash for a second or so. But it doesn't do that (the master flashes very slightly regularly, but this happens all the time. I have no problems with the clock though, everything runs smooth).

I might also add that I am pretty sure that those clicks/crackles have happened before without me connecting or disconnecting any USB stuff (although I didn't have the power management turned off on every USB port then, just did that today), just much less frequent. The way I described above is really every time I disconnect or connect a USB device.

Anyway, for me this is only a slight annoyance, the general function of my Raydat is impeccable.

Still I would be happy about a fix...

Hello. New to the forum. I've returned to RME world - previously I had a FF400 - after having flitted between a bunch of 8 pre FW and TB sound cards.  I chose a Babyface Pro FS having been swayed by descriptions of state of the art jitter reduction as well as other demonstrated positive attributes.  I have a Motu 8 PRE USB as an ADAT extender and it is very stable and I think it sounds ok but I don't feel moved by the results I am getting on drums.  I have sourced an Octamic II at a good price and am close to purchasing it but I have read it stated explicitly, somewhere I can't recall, and not seen it clearly refuted here - I might have missed it sorry - that the Octamic II won't slave via ADAT to the BBF and if so I wouldn't be benefiting from the advanced jitter reduction and would not be achieving my desired result.  The Motu does this no problems.

I want to be like the guys in this video below, having fun making low noise, stable and clear recordings. But are they unwittingly missing out on the jitter reduction and for that matter the superior conversion of the Babyface - the Octomic II being somewhat long in the tooth? I'm sure it's a great combo anyway but I'd like to be running the optimal setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKEyoh77Bo0

25 (edited by ramses 2022-04-29 13:31:05)

Use BBF Pro as clock slave getting clock through it's ADAT input from Octamic II as clock master.
Steadyclock technology makes BBF Pro to a perfect clock slave reducing/"eliminating" clock jitter from digital connections.
See RME youtube video from MC about steadyclock if you are interested. Also on Webserver you find info about RME Steadyclock technology.