Topic: Digiface Dante Multiclient problem

Hi,

I know this is probably not so easy to solve but we're experiencing some problems with the "multiclient feature" of this card. We use it with 14 instances of the Softphone "Luci Studio" by Technica del Arte. Every instance is configured to use a different ASIO channel. When we start several instances of this application, randomly, one or two of these instances don't work. We get a UDP error and the only way to get them work again is to shutdown ALL the instances and restart them again. The manufacturer told us that if we have to shut down all the instances then this could be a problem with ASIO and suggested us to switch to WDM. We don't want that but we tried anyway to use WDM (WASAPI). This does not work at all, as we get another error (from the softphone): "Cannot Start Audio I/O, please check the sample rate or connections"

I don't know if this is a problem of our system, a softphone error or a RME Digiface Dante issue.

Does anybody have any idea?

Thank you very much in advance
Davide

Re: Digiface Dante Multiclient problem

I forgot to say:

OS - Windows Server 2019
Latest RME drivers

Thank you for a suggestion,
Dave

3 (edited by ramses 2020-05-21 18:37:25)

Please write explicit version numbers.

1. "Latest" is "relative" and only valid until the next driver update
2. the support here in this forum should also help other users with similar problems not only now but also next month or year

And it could also be the case that you think its the latest but it might not be the latest.

To catch all this ... explicit version numbers, makes not that much more work ... thanks.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Please write explicit version numbers.

1. "Latest" is "relative" and only valid until the next driver update
2. the support here in this forum should also help other users with similar problems not only now but also next month or year

And it could also be the case that you think its the latest but it might not be the latest.

To catch all this ... explicit version numbers, makes not that much more work ... thanks.

OK, fair enough...

Driver version: 0.9716
Hardware revision: 36

> We use it with 14 instances of the Softphone "Luci Studio" by Technica del Arte.

AFAIK the number of ASIO clients is limited to 8 in our drivers.

Regarding WDM: exactly what the error message said - wrong sample rate. You have to configure this in Windows first (Sound Control panel etc) to match the Dante one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks, I didn't know that. Are there any plans to extend the number of connected clients?

Is it possible to mix ASIO and WDM (on different channels): I mean, 8 client ASIO and 8 WDM, for example.

Thanks for an answer,
Davide

No plans. Mixing WDM and ASIO is possible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

>
Regarding WDM: exactly what the error message said - wrong sample rate. You have to configure this in Windows first (Sound Control panel etc) to match the Dante one.

This could help other people facing the same problem: in my case, the problem was not the wrong (or different) sample rate set in the Sound Control Panel. It was a microphone privacy setting:

Sound” -> “Microphone Privacy Settings” -> “ON” “Allow Apps to access your microphone”.

Honestly, this was beyond my imagination.

Thank you very much,
Davide

Just to be sure: is it possible to have simultaneously 8 ASIO clients + 8 WDM clients (on different channels)?

There should be no limit for WDM - that is handled by Windows, with as many clients as there are WDM devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME