1 (edited by rado 2020-05-24 20:23:18)

Topic: Windows 10 PC + Toslink bit-perfect test shows only 16bits passed

ADI-2 Pro FS Black Edition

I'm experimenting with Toslink output in my Windows PC based on Asus ROG XI Hero motherboard, with Realtek (HD Audio CODEC S1220) sound-card. Toslink is able to output up to 192/24 on this mobo.

Now, there are two problems:

- official Realtek drivers (even the latest ones) make some apps (Tidal, Audirvana), that can engage "exclusive mode" for this sound card, randomly drop sound, optical output and exclusive mode is unavailable after problem occurs

- generic Microsoft "HD Audio Drivers" that come with Windows 10 work well and are 100% stable, I can see "lock" and/or "sync" in ADI-2 info page up to 192/24, but always getting only "16-bit bit-perfect test passed" message, even for 24/32 bits test recordings; however Tidal works very well with optical, autoswitching frequencies. Eventhough ADI-2 shows e.g. 96/24 for Tidal, I'm suspecting playback is 16bits only, as bit-perfect test files are telling me?

Anybody knows how to solve this?
Are generic Windows drivers doing downsample do 16 bits?
Are there working Realtek drivers that do not randomly fail and could solve this issue?

USB connection and ASIO via Audirvana is fine, able to go up to 192/32 without any problems, and bit-perfect test files show this. But I would prefer to use Optical connection, as Tidal and RME WASAPI USB drivers cannot autoswitch frequency, while Toslink can.

Re: Windows 10 PC + Toslink bit-perfect test shows only 16bits passed

If your audio is 16 bit, then it stays 16 bit ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by rado 2020-05-24 21:15:39)

I'm asking a different question.
For 192/24 test file I am getting only "16bits test passed".
Not "24bits test passed", which I should be getting.
But info screen on RME shows "locked" at 192/24.

Not sure where bits are truncated, but it could ge generic Windows drivers, and Realtek drivers are unstable, so cannot test those sad

Did you install the RME ASIO driver ?
Which audio application do you use to play the Bit test ?
Has this audio application been configured to use the RME ASIO driver ?

You should be careful, it could be the case that the Windows Audio Subsystem might alter the audio (SRC).
So its important / best to exclude the Windows Audio Subsystem / Windows mixer by e.g. using an adio player which supports ASIO and to use the ASIO driver.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by rado 2020-05-24 21:19:07)

Thank you for answer, but I am afraid you are not reading what I am writing at all... wink

No RME driver is used.
None at all.

I am using Realtek soundcard on my Asus motherboard, which is HD S1200 chip, and its optical output.
I am also using stock Windows HD Audio Drivers, as Realtek drivers have stability problems.
Now, with stock Windows drivers I am getting 192/24 "lock" on RME screen, but only "16bit test passed" info.

For playback, I am using Audirvana and WASAPI interface, and/or Tidal.

> Thank you for answer, but I am afraid you are not reading what I am writing at all...

Indeed I forgot about your setup, but anyway .. if the ADI-2 Pro/Dac gets only 16 bit audio,
then there is something wrong before ...

Well, on-board audio card and Toslink output is the most common thing on PCs.
It would be nice to solve this smile

Yes and the 1st thing professionals do is to bypass Windows Audio (-> ASIO).

Unfortunately, no such thing is possible for Tidal sad
Only WASAPI is supported.

10 (edited by ramses 2020-05-24 21:53:43)

Can't you connect the ADI-2 Pro directly to your PC via USB ?
Sorry I never used Tidal.
Is the issue that Tital has no support for ASIO ?

11 (edited by rado 2020-05-24 21:58:05)

Yes, I can.

But RME USB WASAPI Windows drivers have their own problems with USB, as frequency is not autoswitched, but stays fixed at value set with MADIface Settings widget (like 192 kHz). And while resampling 96kHz content to 192 is fine, doing so for 44.1 to 192 is not exacly ideal.

RME ASIO interface is ok, but Tidal does not work with ASIO.

Optical interface is fine, as it does autoswitch frequency even with Tidal.

I am using MusicBee with ASIO driver to play FLAC files of different sample rates. No issue with that.

13 (edited by rado 2020-05-24 22:31:14)

Using Audirvana is fine as well, with RME ASIO drivers.
It's a third-party Tidal playback solution.
I do not like its UI though.

Anyway, Windows standard supported by all apps is WASAPI,  and that does come with some problems, as RME WASAPI Windows drivers do not autoswitch frequency.

Tidal + WASAPI via Toslink (stock Windows drivers, no RME drivers used at all) does autoswitch RME unit. But seems some bits might get cut off (not sure about this, it does show locked/synced at 96/24, e.g., with Tidal playback, but bit-perfect test is stuck at 16 bits).

Tidal + WASAPI via Toslink with latest Realtek drivers crashes often. sad

So, the only 100% working solution I found so far is Audirvana (with Tidal login) + ASIO + RME USB interface.

You forgot to deactivate the SRC in the SPDIF input. That's why it says Locked instead of Sync. After that change try Bit Test again.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for clarification.
I do test with SRC off, otherwise no test will pass at all, not even at 16 bits.
But had no idea what locked / synced means, till now smile

16 (edited by rado 2020-05-25 08:16:33)

Solved smile
I tried to play test files in Foobar2000, instead of Audirvana, with WASAPI plugin (https://www.foobar2000.org/components/v … out_wasapi) and "push" settings.
24bit tests passed as 24bit!

So it seems even Audirvana, while perfect for ASIO, is not handling WASAPI correctly.

Realtek onboard sound + universal Windows drivers + Toslink + Foobar2000 work fine.

So I think I can believe Tidal is outputting 24bits as well (WASAPI exclusive API), as RME infoscreen shows that.