Topic: Firmware suggestions ADI-2 DAC

Hello everyone, as always, I'm not an software engineer and I don't know how difficult some of the ideas would be to implement or if they would brick something, those are meant as suggestions, not demands.

-add an option to disable (lock out) auto source (I tend to switch to it unintentionally).

-add bit depth and other digital signal input stats to details screen.

-remove or add option to disable dark volume screen, as detail screen has made it redundant.

-add icons or some other way to indicate if dsps like crossfeed or eq are enabled on all the screens.

-add an option for linear volume control aka option to disable volume knob acceleration, it makes it needlessly hard to adjust volume to specific value without looking at the display.

-add a “mastering” screen; in my workflow I use a lot of different eqs, mono modes etc. etc.
input signal status and vu meters are also really important, as a result I end up scrolling thru a lot of different screens whenever I change input or output device to make sure everything is set up correctly. A screen that combines VU meters with details screen and input signal status (bit depth etc.),  would greatly improve the quality of life and usability.

-add more functionality to bass/treble knobs, they have so much potential and yet are assigned to functions I haven't seen any audiophile, let alone pros use.

Re: Firmware suggestions ADI-2 DAC

> add an option to disable (lock out) auto source (I tend to switch to it unintentionally).

Sorry, I cant find any reference to "auto source" in the manual, what exactly do you mean ?

> add bit depth and other digital signal input stats to details screen

Bit depth is already in the state overview

> remove or add option to disable dark volume screen, as detail screen has made it redundant.

"Dark Volume / Details" Screen is one screen (manual ch 15.1), why should it go or what do you mean exactly ?

> add icons or some other way to indicate if dsps like crossfeed or eq are enabled on all the screens.

I think there is no room for that on most of the screens and it makes no sense to overload the screens.
Many people operate the unit from distance, tiny icons won't help.
Therefore you get a message window when toggeling some of the settings.

May I ask whether or why you are performing so many changes on your device ?
I am running here with one setup since years for my two devices in the studio and hifi corner.
I have doubts that such a change would be useful.

> add an option for linear volume control aka option to disable volume knob acceleration

If you turn the volume knob slowly, then it is linear. And If you need to turn up or down a bigger range,
then acceleration makes sense and you can listen with your ears when it fits.
Or what is the issue exactly ?

> Add more functionality to bass/treble knobs, they have so much potential and yet are assigned
> to functions I haven't seen any audiophile, let alone pros use.

Sorry, but I don't get your point, what issue you have with B/T knobs ... they do what you expect from them.
What is missing for you ?

> add a “mastering” screen; in my workflow I use a lot of different eqs, mono modes etc. etc.
Could be useful, but have some doubts ... in such a mastering environment I would expect a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX and the ADI-2 Pro as High Quality Monitor / Phones AD/DA converter.
I would perform all these settings in Total Mix FX ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> add an option to disable (lock out) auto source (I tend to switch to it unintentionally).

Sorry, I cant find any reference to "auto source" in the manual, what exactly do you mean ?
[...]

Double-push one of the source button on the remote (Coax, USB, Optical) and the "auto source" is activated. Very very convenient!!

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

N00b wrote:
ramses wrote:

[...]

Double-push one of the source button on the remote (Coax, USB, Optical) and the "auto source" is activated. Very very convenient!!

I get that it is convenient for some people, but it isn't for me that's why I said "option"

Sebastian.Athea wrote:
N00b wrote:
ramses wrote:

[...]

I get that it is convenient for some people, but it isn't for me that's why I said "option"

Maybe you drink too much coffee big_smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

6 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2020-05-24 22:08:30)

ramses wrote:

> add bit depth and other digital signal input stats to details screen

Bit depth is already in the state overview

> remove or add option to disable dark volume screen, as detail screen has made it redundant.

"Dark Volume / Details" Screen is one screen (manual ch 15.1), why should it go or what do you mean exactly ?

> add icons or some other way to indicate if dsps like crossfeed or eq are enabled on all the screens.

I think there is no room for that on most of the screens and it makes no sense to overload the screens.
Many people operate the unit from distance, tiny icons won't help.
Therefore you get a message window when toggeling some of the settings.

May I ask whether or why you are performing so many changes on your device ?
I am running here with one setup since years for my two devices in the studio and hifi corner.

> add an option for linear volume control aka option to disable volume knob acceleration

If you turn the volume knob slowly, then it is linear. And If you need to turn up or down a bigger range,

> Add more functionality to bass/treble knobs, they have so much potential and yet are assigned
> to functions I haven't seen any audiophile, let alone pros use.

Sorry, but I don't get your point, what issue you have with B/T knobs ... they do what you expect from them.

> add a “mastering” screen; in my workflow I use a lot of different eqs, mono modes etc. etc.
Could be useful, but have some doubts ... in such a mastering environment I would expect a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX and the ADI-2 Pro as High Quality Monitor / Phones AD/DA converter.
I would perform all these settings in Total Mix FX ...

>Bit depth is already in the state overview
-It's not displayed in details screen though.

>May I ask whether or why you are performing so many changes on your device ?
-I have large hi-fi speakers, 2 sets of studio monitors and headphone system, all speaker systems have their own room eq and I listen to my mixes with both eq on and off, as well as with headphones with crossfeed on and off. I also deal with a lot of old masters and old and weird machines for reading them.

>If you turn the volume knob slowly, then it is linear. And If you need to turn up or down a bigger range,
-That's very subjective, it would make more sense to me if I wanted to get 2.5db attenuation I should turn or press vol button 5 times no matter how fast I turned it, I should get 2.5db that's just how my brain works (and some other equipment)

>Sorry, but I don't get your point, what issue you have with B/T knobs ... they do what you expect from them.
-it would be really useful if you could map them to change mono mode, or eq preset, or crossfeed etc.

in such a mastering environment I would expect a RME recording interface with TotalMix FX and the ADI-2 Pro as High Quality Monitor / Phones AD/DA converter.
I would perform all these settings in Total Mix FX
-Due to some older masters I sometimes need to use machines that can't run Total Mix FX or don't have usb port for that matter, and even on my modern machine I have toslink interface card and glass fiber cable that I prefer to use; pc has UPS that would be drained in seconds if class a amps where connected to it, while all audio gear is connected to isolation transformer both for safety reasons and power filtering, and I would prefer to keep those devices galvanically isolated.

N00b wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:
N00b wrote:

What are you saying that I'm addicted, I'm not addicted I could stop whenever I wanted, why are you harping on me, why would I stop when it tastes so GOOD, stop harping on me!

8 (edited by N00b 2020-05-25 01:14:01)

Sebastian.Athea wrote:
N00b wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

What are you saying that I'm addicted, I'm not addicted I could stop whenever I wanted, why are you harping on me, why would I stop when it tastes so GOOD, stop harping on me!

Sorry, it was a bad joke: drinking too much coffee so you shake and double-press by mistake on the buttons. big_smile

N00b wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:
N00b wrote:

Sorry, it was a bad jike: drinking too much coffee so you shake and double-press by mistake on the buttons. big_smile

I was sarcastic XD

Sebastian.Athea wrote:
N00b wrote:
Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Sorry, it was a bad jike: drinking too much coffee so you shake and double-press by mistake on the buttons. big_smile

I was sarcastic XD

Arf... I really must improve my understanding of English!! Sorry.

11 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-25 14:09:22)

All,

Allow me to absorb the Guilt in this "Coffee" matter.   As N00b and I communicate frequently offline...just about the time of day when my "Caffeine Meter" is pegged!  100% Caffeine overload...

I'm certain I've instilled the "Caffeine Jitters" comment in some way!!!   smile   Ohhhh my!  Grasping an Ink Pen becomes a challenge, and THEN I go work...when I cant even feel my face anymore...  smile

A "double click" on the RME Remote?   With my then spastic digits? 

So...give N00b a "pass" on his comment.  Surely no ill-will was intentioned.  He probably just heard my BS.

Just be careful with Caribbean Coffee!  Max Caffeine!   big_smile

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

12 (edited by Sebastian.Athea 2020-05-25 14:09:29)

Curt962 wrote:

All,

Allow me to absorb the Guilt in this "Coffee" matter.   As N00b and I communicate frequently offline...just about the time of day when my "Caffeine Meter" is pegged!  100% Caffeine overload...

I'm certain I've instilled the "Caffeine Jitters" comment in some way!!!   smile

So...give N00b a "pass" on his comment.  Surely no ill-will was intentioned.

Just be careful with Caribbean Coffee!  Max Caffeine!   big_smile

Curt

Damn it Curt there is a hidden jab at me for using toslink somewhere in there, isn't it LOL

13 (edited by Curt962 2020-05-25 14:21:57)

Ahhh. Sebastian...  smile

There could be a subliminal message in there...  smile

TOS is fine.  Works great for many applications, and is a sure-fire Hum Buster!

PS:

Let's go back On-Topic, and have some fun!

Best!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread, sorry, gonna repost it.
mods feel free to delete this thread.