Topic: Need Help. Fire Face 802

Hi all,

Hope all is good and every one is staying safe and well.

I am trying to hook up my new RME Fire Face 802 Via ADAT. I have tried everything i could think of. Please be patient with me.

Installation: All USB drivers installed successfully.
Channel count visible in LOGIX PRO X is 30/30
FF802 connected with USB
DIGI 003 connect through Fire wire

Link Connection: ADAT cable

FF802 ADAT port 1: out Going into in of DIGI 003 ADAT
FF802 ADAT port 1: in going into out of DIGI 003 ADAT

Sync:

FF802 USB setting panel: Set as 44.1, Master => ''INTERNAL''  Lit green on front penal no Flashes
DIGI 003 Audio Penal Set as  44.1, Slave => ''ADAT'' Lit green on front panel no flashes

TotalMix:

From Software playback, I tried to send signal to hardware output ADAT channel 1/2 it was ok by the display meter.

Where My issue is:

I have tried to send signal from Hardware ADAT output 1/2 to Hardware ADAT input 1/2 there is no display meter showing green
I did the same thing for all 8 ADAT channel same result, no signal coming in

While am trying to take advantage of the IO routing in RME, My aim is to be able to use all my outboard FX instead of a Patch bay

on the Signal chain:

FF802 out put 3/4 goes into Fatso and from out of Fatso, back into input 3/2 on FF802
Same for FF802 5/6, 7/8 to outboards back into same channels on the input side of the chain.

FF802 1/2 (in) are connected to Prophet, and 9/10 to Yamaha, nothing on 11/12 input.

Digi 003 signal chain:

output (1) goes into (in) of Retro compressor and out of retro comp to (in) put 1 of DIGI 003
I did the same process for the 8 channel on the DIGI 003

This is what I have done so far, but it is not working and hope you guys will help me.

Thank you
Dprincewillz

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-31 13:36:53)

Re: Need Help. Fire Face 802

Basically ...

> I have tried to send signal from Hardware ADAT output 1/2 to Hardware ADAT input 1/2
> there is no display meter showing green
> I did the same thing for all 8 ADAT channel same result, no signal coming in

Routing from a HW Output to a HW Input can only be performed by
- either using TM FX's loopback feature/function or
- by using an external cable.

When using loopback on a HW output (to be found when clicking to the tool/wrench symbol of a channel)
then audio will be sent/routed internally to the corresponding input.

Example:
You send audio to HW output with some EQing (FX chip of the 802) to AN1/2 and you want to record audio including the EQing.
Enable Loopback on HW output AN1/2, then you can record the EQed signal on HW input AN1/2.

P.S.: to connect outboard equipment.
1. You route audio from DAW to an analog output port on the recording device e.g. AN 3/4.
2. This signal shows up in TM FX under Software Playback Ch AN 3/4 (middle row)
3.  From there you route it to the HW output (bottom row)
           - or for monitoring purposes even to other HW outputs / submixes -
     which is connected to the analog input of the external device.
4. The external device processes audio and sends it to it's output
    which is connected to the HW input e.g. AN3/4 of your recording interface.
5. In the DAW you see the audio signal on input channel AN 3/4 where you can record it.

Regarding your whole setup and what you want to achieve exactly, sorry I did not get every point.
Maybe a drawing would have given more overview.

But maybe this helps you already one or more steps further.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thank you for the time and effort.

Routing from a HW Output to a HW Input can only be performed by
- either using TM FX's loopback feature/function or
- by using an external cable.

I did the exact 2 options as you described.

I am expecting the DIGI 003 to receive and send 8 line through ADAT into RME FF802:

> I  used external cable from the line output (1) on 003 into (input) on my outborad fx and back into line input (1) on 003
> From software playback on TM, I sent signal to the corresponding adat out (1) on 003
> I engage the Loop back function and sent the Adat out (1) to adat in (1 on the top row of TM. at this time the meter niddle on my
outboard did not move neither the signal from adat input on TM.

When using loopback on a HW output (to be found when clicking to the tool/wrench symbol of a channel)
then audio will be sent/routed internally to the corresponding input.

In TM, > When i send Audio signal from software playback to hardware output (AN 3/4) to Hardware input (AN 3/4) this moves the
niddle on my out board FX.

Regarding your whole setup and what you want to achieve exactly, sorry I did not get every point.
Maybe a drawing would have given more overview.

I want to run my outboard with 8 line in and out through ADAT from DIGI 003 to feed into RME and record inside my DAW
I just want to avoid using patch bay during mixdown.

Few Eq, Compressor, Delay and Reverb.

Thank you for your help
Dprincewillz

A drawing with a dotted signal flow would give a better overview.

I do not think that you need loopback. I only mentioned it, because YOU said you want to route audio
from an output to an input on the 802. For something like this you would need a cable or loopback.

If you want to send audio from the 802 to connected outboard gear which is connected at the 003,
for this you do not need loopback. Its simple routing between the two devices, 802 and 003.

If you see no audio arriving on 802 ADAT1 IN, then you forgot / or did a mistake
to route audio from 003 Analog in to ADAT out towards the 802.

DAW sends audio to 802 ADAT1/2 OUT.
Audio arrives on SW Playback Channel ADAT1/2.
You route that to HW Output ADAT 1/2

Audio arrives on 003 on ADAT1/2 IN, route this to AN1/2 out to "outboard device 1"
From outboard device 1 you send audio to 003 analog 1/2 IN.
Route analog 1/2 IN to ADAT 1/2 out towards 802
On 802 you should see now a signal on ADAT1 1/2 IN.

THis you can record now with the DAW or additionally route to phones for monitoring.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13