Topic: Low MAXIMUM volume via PHONES and IEM

Hello, 

Have any users had issues with low maximum volume output on the ADI-2-DAC FS, and if you did, how did you resolve, please? 

My set up is as follows: Windows 10 PC running KODI using DIRECTSOUND (ADI-2-DAC Driver) > ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) >

In this output stage: "...> ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) > CIAUDIO D500 Monoblock Amps > Acoustic Research AR9 Speakers" I get plenty of volume.

In this setup: "...> ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) > PHONES or IEM > any of three headphones I have", I just can't get enough volume out of the unit even if the unit is reset to factory defaults and volumes are set to max on the PC and on the DAC.  The phones are I am trying are Sony and Sennheiser noise cancelling and one normal phone, and they all work just fine on every other device.

I am planning to send the unit in for RME tech support to take a look, however I thought I would ask in the forum before doing so.

Thank you, kkc.

Re: Low MAXIMUM volume via PHONES and IEM

You have level meters, both Pre and Post, below the Analyzer. Do these show near fiull level when playing music from the computer, especially in the Pre Level Meter mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Low MAXIMUM volume via PHONES and IEM

kkc wrote:

Hello, 

Have any users had issues with low maximum volume output on the ADI-2-DAC FS, and if you did, how did you resolve, please? 

My set up is as follows: Windows 10 PC running KODI using DIRECTSOUND (ADI-2-DAC Driver) > ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) >

In this output stage: "...> ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) > CIAUDIO D500 Monoblock Amps > Acoustic Research AR9 Speakers" I get plenty of volume.

In this setup: "...> ADI-2 DAC FS (USB) > PHONES or IEM > any of three headphones I have", I just can't get enough volume out of the unit even if the unit is reset to factory defaults and volumes are set to max on the PC and on the DAC.  The phones are I am trying are Sony and Sennheiser noise cancelling and one normal phone, and they all work just fine on every other device.

I am planning to send the unit in for RME tech support to take a look, however I thought I would ask in the forum before doing so.

Thank you, kkc.

Hi kkc,

The IEM output is designed for... (wait for it!) IEM, which are very sensitive devices; so it's normal this output is not very loud.

But with the headphone output, you should be able to drive most of the headphones of the market.
What are your headphones models?

I use an AKG K701, even witthout the Extreme Power option activated, it goes too loud... Have you tried the Extreme power option BTW? Please see page 12 of the manual.

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables