Topic: DoP and DSD Question

Hi, I just got my RME ADI-2 DAC fs.  I use a Mac (OS X), over USB.  I understand that DSD files stored on my Mac can play on the RME DAC over USB using DoP (DSD over PCM).  However, what I am not clear on is what the max data rates are that the DAC supports.  Can it support DSD 256?  Can it support DSD512?  The manual doesn't specify.  Does anyone know?  Thank you greatly,

Mark

Re: DoP and DSD Question

DSD256 is the maximum. It is described in the user manual, see page 33

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dacr_e.pdf

The ADI-2 DAC supports DSD in various ways. When received via SPDIF, the State Overview
screen will show DoP, and the DAC immediately turns from PCM to DSD mode. The process is
transparent to the user, playback will continue as usual. But there are no DSP functions
possible on a bit stream. Therefore EQ, Crossfeed, Bass/Treble, Loudness and other audio
functions provided by the DSP are deactivated. This is shown by adding brackets to the
activated function, for example EQ Enable - (ON).

The DoP recognition also works on USB. A DSD playback via USB (State Overview shows
DSD) will be done at 176.4/192 kHz for DSD64, 352.8/384 kHz for DSD128, and 705.6/768 kHz
for DSD256. Under Windows WDM/WASAPI are currently limited to 384 kHz. The highest
sample rates and DSD modes can only be used via ASIO.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.