Topic: Mac OS Big Sur - Fireface800 is 'seen' but Catalina Drvr 3.39 Fails

Hi
Just wanted to be first to offer to test any Fireface 800 driver for Mac OS Big Sur!

With the Current Catalina driver from end of 2019 installed this is what happens;-

Mac OS Big Sur Beta 2 currently sees the device on a single chip (non bridged) LSI Firewire card - you can see the firewire card and RME Fireface 800 in 'System Report' and Logic Pro, Davinci  etc... or Coreaudio System Preferences BUT as soon as you try to use the FF800 you get a big digital screeching noise across all playback/outputs channels (visibly seen with all meters 'up' at two thirds max volume.

Terrible noise, the only way to switch it off is to change the sample rate to 44 or 48k depending on what setting its on.

The RME 'Fireface Settings works fine, switching to Mic Inputs, changing Sample rate etc... Total Mix appears to work... its just THAT noise when you engage its to being employed.

Surely there's a quick fix for this new OS?

Let me know as I have two FF800s and will need this working soon.... back to Catalina for me...for now!

Re: Mac OS Big Sur - Fireface800 is 'seen' but Catalina Drvr 3.39 Fails

I’m curious as to why you need this working soon when Big Sur won’t be officially released for another few months? What’s the big hurry?

Re: Mac OS Big Sur - Fireface800 is 'seen' but Catalina Drvr 3.39 Fails

And why do you think it is NOT the FireWire driver of Big Sur that Apple will (and have to) fix?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME