Topic: Madiface XT USB issues

Hey All/RME,

Long time RME user here, just got a Madiface XT a few months ago and I've started encountering an occasional stutter/audio lock-up.
Reaper will freeze for a second, then continue playing. ProTools will throw up a host of error messages.

Console gives me the following entry:

HALS_IOA1Engine.cpp:365:EndWriting:  HALS_IOA1Engine::EndWriting: got an error from the kernel trap, Error: 0xE00002EE

Screenshots of two occasions when this is happening are available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/50js9hil9lq5 … wkUCa?dl=0

Unsure whether this is an RME, Mac OS or hardware related issue, but I'm fully aware you guys are absolutely the experts when it comes to this stuff.

Dustbin Mac Pro 6 core running Mojave 10.14.6
64gb RAM
Madiface connected directly via USB3.0 to the dustbin.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Alex

Re: Madiface XT USB issues

Is this an error anyone has seen before? Do I maybe need to provide any more information about my setup to find out why this might be happening?

Thanks all!xx

I have the same issue with Nuendo 10.3.0 freezing from time to time. After a couple of seconds, everything is fine again - until the next freeze happens.

However, it only happens when the Madiface XT is in USB3 mode, in USB2 mode, everything is fine. Since I don't need more than 64 channels, that's not a problem for me.

Nuendo 12.0.40, RME Madiface XT, MacMini 2018, 3.2ghz 6 core i7, 32gb ram, Monterey 12.5.

Hallo,

same problems here with Reaper on MacBook Pro Late 2013 OS X 10.14.6 - turning off WiFi solves the problem for me.

Jakub

Hey all, missed these replies!

So it turns out to be an issue with the trashcan MacPro USB implementation. If you have too many USB3 devices connected at once you get occasional incredibly brief data dropouts which are enough to throw off an audio interface. Something to do with shared bandwidth between the USB ports.

Changing the Madiface XT to run in USB2.0 mode solved my issue here as well. 64ch is plenty for me so it’s worked out well, but I guess if you needed more you could explore the PCI express > thunderbolt options.