1 (edited by terrys999 2020-10-06 13:44:04)

Topic: WIN 10 driver failures

I have just installed fresh version of windows 10.

version 2004 19041.508

getting blue screens constantly  i cannot roll back  as this is a new install.
my cxn and m dac plus are fine,  any way to fix this?
iam using latest driver for adi 2 dac fs.

cannot use my adi dac at all.

what happens is that any pausing or stopping play back in jriver a\nd foobar result in the blue screen of death. also if I plug other usb device in   it blue screens immediately
it also happens at random.

It needs to be fixed.

Re: WIN 10 driver failures

There seem to be mods available to install older versions than 2004, i.e. 1909:
https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2019/11/ … nterladen/

Sorry only found this german link...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You use an outdated driver. Version 0.9723 from our website fixes those Pause BSODs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by terrys999 2020-10-06 19:01:11)

MC wrote:

You use an outdated driver. Version 0.9723 from our website fixes those Pause BSODs.

Iam using 09723  which is the latest driver.
There’s no update for this driver.
A friend with the same setup is also having these problems.

I have disconnected the adi 2 dac fs.  And using my other Dacs Until you can fix this.

I am running the exact same version of Windows 10 Pro (2004 19041.508) without any issues. This is also on recently built PC and I should mention that I was getting some random BSODs for a while on this machine but they turned out to be caused by Razer DeathAdder v2 Gaming Mouse. After I switched to different mouse I have had no issues whatsoever.
Also, I have ADI-2 PRO FS (not sure if it makes a difference that it's PRO vs DAC version of ADI-2).

tomg wrote:

I am running the exact same version of Windows 10 Pro (2004 19041.508) without any issues. This is also on recently built PC and I should mention that I was getting some random BSODs for a while on this machine but they turned out to be caused by Razer DeathAdder v2 Gaming Mouse. After I switched to different mouse I have had no issues whatsoever.
Also, I have ADI-2 PRO FS (not sure if it makes a difference that it's PRO vs DAC version of ADI-2).

Hi
Iam getting a lot of bsods.
I have noticed also that if I plug in a thumb drive  bsods rears it’s head.

This happens when playing foobar or jriver,  like I said earlier it happens at random.
This should be fixed ASAP.    Until it is iam using m dac plus.

You shouldn’t have to install earlier vs of win 10 to fix it. Adi driver is broken and should be fixed .
People have reported this error weeks ago. Problem still there.

Also having probs with remote   As have others with this dac.
The adi 2 dac is brill piece of engineering, but ... too many problems arising.
I might sell the unit,  it’s around 2 months old, too much bother.

I'm also using JRiver for music (just upgraded to version 27 with no issues, and I also had no issues with version 26). I assume you are using RME ASIO driver and have specified that in JRiver audio output options? Anyhow, if you are only getting BSOD's when you have thumb drive plugged in perhaps the issue is not with ADI-2 DAC (may want to check thumb drive drivers?). Of course if you are getting BSOD's randomly even when nothing else is connected that must be frustrating and concerning.

The fix in our driver was specifically for Pause and then diconnecting/switching off the DAC. If you get BSODs ONLY from Pause then you have a different problem which can not be related to the RME driver. Also BSOD when plugging a USB drive is quite strange. No one ever reported this (or has that general Pause problem). That means we have no way to fix it, as it isn't even reproducable.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

9 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-07 13:06:32)

terrys999 wrote:
MC wrote:

Iam using 09723  which is the latest driver.
There’s no update for this driver.
A friend with the same setup is also having these problems.

I have disconnected the adi 2 dac fs.  And using my other Dacs Until you can fix this.

Does the use of the other DAC solve ALL BSOD problems on your system?
The other way round, the BSOD does only appear when the ADI-2 is connected?

Even if that doesn't proof anything. His other DACs will not have recording capability, his other DACs do not support 768 kHz (thus reserve less resources). Etc. If his USB subsystem is somehow on the edge then this is nothing we can fix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Even if that doesn't proof anything. His other DACs will not have recording capability, his other DACs do not support 768 kHz (thus reserve less resources). Etc. If his USB subsystem is somehow on the edge then this is nothing we can fix.

After doing a fresh Windows installation, very often people forget to install the hardware/chipset drivers supplied from the hardware manufacturer.

The windows supplied drivers are often outdated, or less performant.

Installing the latest mainboard BIOS, before driver install, can improve things too.

12 (edited by terrys999 2020-10-07 18:44:51)

KaiS wrote:
MC wrote:

After doing a fresh Windows installation, very often people forget to install the hardware/chipset drivers supplied from the hardware manufacturer.

The windows supplied drivers are often outdated, or less performant.

Installing the latest mainboard BIOS, before driver install, can improve things too.

I have 3 computers home built water cooled all fresh installed
CORE I9-10900K 3.7GHZ (COMET LAKE) 64g  MB.  ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO   Quadro p4000
I7 3960x 32 g mem MB x99 deluxe 3.1 firepro w9100
I73970x 32 g mem MB x99deluxe 3.1 firepro w8100

I build all my own computers . Been doing so for 18 yrs.

All drivers up to date .

Can you try disabling the input SPDIF device that also gets installed with the RME? In my case, this helped somewhat.

For what it is worth, my RME DAC is also boxed up and unused just because of driver errors that cannot be resolved!!!

rajupras wrote:

Can you try disabling the input SPDIF device that also gets installed with the RME? In my case, this helped somewhat.

For what it is worth, my RME DAC is also boxed up and unused just because of driver errors that cannot be resolved!!!

Errors still happen.
I can stream to cxn then output coax to rme dac fine.
But that’s really not the point.
Most of my albums are dsd 64 sacd. And dsd 128 .. 256.

Usb is important , I have too  boxed rme up will wait a while see if it ever gets sorted,  I can always sell.
Using my mdac now.
I blame MSoft .. they always screw things up.

15 (edited by srsmith 2020-10-19 14:49:59)

MC wrote:

Hi MC,

I too have been having a series of OS core dumps since last month - some blue some black screen. I haven't reported them until now because I cannot reproduce them reliably and they did not implicate the madiface ASIO driver as before.
The latter changed this morning, the driver is noted in the slice of the dump below. Coredumps with much detail are hard to come by now, this is the first in 7  that have mentioned a non-kernel module. Too, I have not had any of these crashes occur while I am using Roon, It occurs after I am done listening to music, power everything off. 

I cannot avoid the crashes now regardless of what I do - I started using Jriver last week to avoid Roon, but now I see others are having issues with it. Maybe others can let you know if the stop codes are the same and other details. I did a clean install of the OS again  last week.

When/if I can reproduce it I will let you know.   

========================

1: kd> !analyze -v
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (4e)
Typically caused by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists (ie: calling
MmUnlockPages twice with the same list, etc).  If a kernel debugger is
available get the stack trace.
Arguments:
Arg1: 000000000000009a,
Arg2: 0000000000049f46
Arg3: 0000000000000006
Arg4: 0000000000000002

Debugging Details:

[....]
    Key  : WER.OS.Branch
    Value: vb_release
    Key  : WER.OS.Timestamp
    Value: 2019-12-06T14:06:00Z
    Key  : WER.OS.Version
    Value 10.0.19041.1

SYMBOL_NAME:  madiface_usb_64+5c9a
MODULE_NAME: madiface_usb_64
IMAGE_NAME:  madiface_usb_64.sys
STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb
BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  5c9a
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x4E_9a_madiface_usb_64!unknown_function

srsmith wrote:
MC wrote:

[....]
    Key  : WER.OS.Branch
    Value: vb_release
    Key  : WER.OS.Timestamp
    Value: 2019-12-06T14:06:00Z
    Key  : WER.OS.Version
    Value 10.0.19041.1

SYMBOL_NAME:  madiface_usb_64+5c9a
MODULE_NAME: madiface_usb_64
IMAGE_NAME:  madiface_usb_64.sys
STACK_COMMAND:  .thread ; .cxr ; kb
BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET:  5c9a
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x4E_9a_madiface_usb_64!unknown_function

Are you running fully up to date windows? The reason I ask is I just checked my win 10 installed version (fully patched) and it's showing 19041.572 (vs yours seems to be showing 19041.1)?

Are you running fully up to date windows? The reason I ask is I just checked my win 10 installed version (fully patched) and it's showing 19041.572 (vs yours seems to be showing 19041.1)?

Yes, I am. You have the October update preview, which does not release until next week. Are you part of windows insider?

srsmith wrote:

Yes, I am. You have the October update preview, which does not release until next week. Are you part of windows insider?

I have no idea - if I am I did not sign up for it. I simply go into my windows updates settings and apply them all when they become available (whatever they say is recommended - I normally check for updates manually on weekly basis).

19 (edited by srsmith 2020-10-19 16:01:02)

tomg wrote:
srsmith wrote:

I have no idea - if I am I did not sign up for it. I simply go into my windows updates settings and apply them all when they become available (whatever they say is recommended - I normally check for updates manually on weekly basis).

I could be a few days off, I know its coming this week or next because I am looking forward to seeing if it helps correct this issue. It started with the advent of v2004, so hopefully they do. [Edit - Msft is late but it should be out in a few dasys ~CNET]

tomg wrote:
srsmith wrote:

If you initiate a search for updates manually you will get some updates earlier than using only the automatic search. You might think that is a good thing but it is not.

Microsoft delivers early, preliminary updates that way.
On critical production machines you should never use a manual search for updates. You will still get all the necessary updates, security updates and critical updates with the purely automatic search. But you prevent to be used as a beta tester for immature updates.

It is also a good idea to delay quality updates for 3 to 5 days (Windows 10 Pro setting).

srsmith wrote:
tomg wrote:
srsmith wrote:

I could be a few days off, I know its coming this week or next because I am looking forward to seeing if it helps correct this issue. It started with the advent of v2004, so hopefully they do. [Edit - Msft is late but it should be out in a few dasys ~CNET]

The October 2020 (aka 2nd half 2020) release is live today. I logged into my Roon Core (Server) and it was ready to dl it. So now I have

• Edition    Windows 10 Pro
    Version    20H2
    Installed on    10/2/2020
    OS build    19042.572
    Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Note the release build number, 19042.572, is different from the preview build number you listed, 19041.572. So you should be able to upgrade soon - It was not available on any of my other computers, but is available for dl from the  primary MS windows media dl site at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar … /windows10

I do agree with @bejoro that one should not generally upgrade to any release other than prod releases from MS, when they are offered, and only through the official update site.   

For example, when trying previews to fix the ADI-2 DAC/Roon BSOD issue, the previews were even more unstable. When I  exited the preview program on that machine, I gave MS feedback about the issues encountered and what I was trying to accomplish, hence that may be part of the reason (if MS pays attention) why I was able to get the upgrade on only one of my computers today.

Anyway - a protracted answer to provide details about something that may help others or make their situation worse depending on their outcomes.

srsmith wrote:
srsmith wrote:
tomg wrote:

The October 2020 (aka 2nd half 2020) release is live today. I logged into my Roon Core (Server) and it was ready to dl it. So now I have

Version    20H2
    OS build    19042.572

Note the release build number, 19042.572, is different from the preview build number you listed, 19041.572. So you should be able to upgrade soon - It was not available on any of my other computers, but is available for dl from the  primary MS windows media dl site at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar … /windows10

Thanks for the follow up and advice. This update (20H2) came up for me today as well when I checked for updates in windows settings windows update section - not really sure what it added/fixed but all seems good (as usual) after the reboot.

srsmith wrote:
MC wrote:

Hi MC,

... Maybe others can let you know if the stop codes are the same and other details. I did a clean install of the OS again  last week

One more thought, it seems that the machines in both threads reporting this issue and that identified their systems are using Intel based ASUS ROG MBs of different sorts. Collecting the config info may help resolve the issue.

tomg wrote:
srsmith wrote:
srsmith wrote:

Version    20H2
    OS build    19042.572

Thanks for the follow up and advice. This update (20H2) came up for me today as well when I checked for updates in windows settings windows update section - not really sure what it added/fixed but all seems good (as usual) after the reboot.

Known problems with the 20H2 are summarized in the link below (including discussion about some audio driver problems).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- … d-problems

tomg wrote:

Known problems with the 20H2 are summarized in the link below (including discussion about some audio driver problems).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- … d-problems

Thanks for the post, I checked the issues and I do not have any of the devices present in my system.  All is going well since the upgrade. I need to start testing to stress my system.

Is there a link with similar content that does not require me to study not understandable cookie options and disabling my adblocker? I abandoned that site  for these reasons.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

27 (edited by srsmith 2020-10-26 03:13:53)

srsmith wrote:

Thanks for the post, I checked the issues and I do not have any of the devices present in my system.  All is going well since the upgrade. I need to start testing to stress my system.

Update: The day after the Windows 20H2 install I had another crash, no BSOD and only a partial dump listing kernel issues. My ADI-2 was still on but had not been used for about an hour, apparently stressful to Windows/Roon.

28 (edited by srsmith 2020-10-26 03:07:24)

MC wrote:

Is there a link with similar content that does not require me to study not understandable cookie options and disabling my adblocker? I abandoned that site  for these reasons.

Hopefully, the Microsoft site might be friendlier and, as might be expected, it contains the same info:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … ws-10-20h2

Getting regular Windows 10 crashes (BSOD) with a brand new ADI-2 Pro FS R, usually when I turn off the ADI-2 or unplug the USP port but tonight pretty sure it happened out of the blue while everything was sitting idle.  It's hooked up to a Lenovo X1 laptop. I updated the ADI-2 firmware and the RME driver a week ago. Microsoft says these types of crashes are usually driver related.  Is there a new driver version on the horizon?  It sounds like others are experiencing BSOD as well.