1 (edited by David_Das 2020-10-09 02:08:45)

Topic: Absolutely thrilled with the sound quality of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC

The RME ADI-2 FS DAC has exceeded all my expectations. This is a superb piece of engineering that serves mixing studios as well as audiophile needs. Sonically it is in the same league as the Chord Hugo 2, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and the Benchmark DAC3 but costs less than half.

The ADI-2 FS DAC is a steal of a deal.

No other DAC offers so much control over every possible parameter with clear easy to follow displays. This is the audio enthusiast’s ultimate toy.

With the EQs defeated, this presents the clear unvarnished truth – perfect for studio use.

On the other hand the independent 5-band parametric EQs can be easily deployed to tackle room acoustic problems in an audiophile’s home or alter the signal to cater to a specific taste.

The Remote is very useful for adjusting the volume, changing sources and applying EQ curves with the push of a button from the comfort of your chair.

The person who authored this comprehensive 72-page User Guide deserves special recognition. This sets a new benchmark on how Product Manuals should be written. It is obvious a lot of care and thought went into designing this refined piece of audio gear and the author goes into great lengths to explain every design decision.

Before comparing other high-end DACs, I was pretty satisfied with the ASUS XONAR Essence STX II PCI Express soundcard. It is an audiophile grade soundcard, the best you can buy for your PC.

In a head to head A/B comparison the RME ADI-2 DAC sounds smoother, more refined and more liquid. The difference is clearly audible when you play the first 25 seconds of Enya’s Shepherd Moons, Track 1.

Stereophile Magazine listed the Mytek Brooklyn DAC under Class A Recommended Components (Vol. 40 No.4 p.83). The RME ADI-2 DAC deserves the same Class A rating. I am not sure if Stereophile reviews studio gear for professional use.

If any other audiophile manufacturer designed the ADI-2 DAC preserving the same sonic quality and list of features they would have priced it at $3,000.

If any audiophile is contemplating on adding a high-end DAC, I would highly recommend keeping the RME ADI-2 on their short list. It may be the last DAC they would ever need.

Yes, it is that good!

2 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-10-09 02:58:51)

Re: Absolutely thrilled with the sound quality of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC

Same here. I'm enjoying it so much since I got it a month ago. It's endgame.

3 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-10 02:17:10)

Indeed, The ADI-2DAC is "end game" Componentry (my word), and how few of us in this Forum care in the least what Stereophile, or any other Subjective Review Journal has to say.

My RME Stays.

David, you are entirely allowed to be pleased with your ADI-2 DAC.  The Data says that your perceptions are correct!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Yorrrrrr wrote:

Same here. I'm enjoying it so much since I got it a month ago. It's endgame.

I just made an account here to second that. I'm a brand new owner, living with it for only a few days and I already know that this love will last :)

5 (edited by Curt962 2020-10-11 03:50:43)

To all here, Awesome!!   These happy comments  are a very heartening continuation of those expressed repeatedly by new users over an extended period of time.   All can be assured that your delight with the RME will in all likelihood  NOT "wear off".  Your RME will simply become the Cornerstone of your set up, and all of your OTHER Gear will need to measure up to the RME.  smile

My ADI-2 DAC is approaching 2yrs old, and I still can't believe I'm so fortunate to have such a refined unit in my Home.

Enjoy Freely...Enjoy Often!

Best to all,

Curt

Another endorsement from me too, plus the tremendous help on here from Curt, Kais and others. Even though I am partially deaf and wear hearing aids I still apreciate the sheer quality on offer from my ADi Dac.

Mark

Where is the "like" button? Where?

Yep - my RME is the single best purchase I’ve ever made. It’s the base of my entire set up.

I’m learning more every day!!

https://imgur.com/a/NmpjkSN

Hi, my first post and came to say exactly this. I am more than satisfied with the RME ADI-2. This is now my forever DAC and pairs beautifully with the HD 800S.

Keep up the great work!

Ear,

Thanks for adding your nice comments to the discussion.  Your Voice is just one more that explains why RME has such an Enthusiastic, and Loyal User Base.

Enjoy your new RME!

Best,

Curt

I have had my Adi-2DAC for one year now. 

Very satisfied with my device and lt has completely changed my music listening experience and enjoyment.

I use the headphone amplifier as well …. no need for anything else.

WY

CD Transport>optical>RME ADI-2 DAC FS(AKM)>XLR balanced >GLM software>Genelec Monitors 8340A

Ive had mine for 3 months

Wow is all I can say , i absolutely love it , love it !!

13 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-11 18:18:03)

Hello all!

I Love Threads like this.   Such a Golden Opportunity to just give RME a loud "Shout Out" for their excellence.    We may wonder, just How many expectations has RME exceeded on a Daily Basis?   Hmmm.  Quite a few I do believe.

I'm getting a little bit old, and well, it seems ANY bit of gear I buy could possibly be "end game" for me, but with the RME?  Gone is the endless "upgrade-itis"    It's Audio Gear, Not a Life-Support System, but I like my Music, and my RME is STAYING!
So, I suppose than it's own way, the Audio IS a system that does add appreciably to our Lives, and Enjoyment.

Ear, Gary, et al...

That "Wow Factor" does not go away!   My "OLD" ADI-2 DAC still gives me that "New Gear" excitement every time I turn it on.

We work for our Money.  RME clearly respects that, and delivers only the most thoroughly engineered, and highest performing devices that your money can buy.

Good Choice Everyone!  Enjoy!!

Curt

14 (edited by Siemak 2021-07-11 20:49:23)

It's been 2 years (or so) with RME and still enjoying like first day  smile
Regards guys!!!

Some pics >>>

https://ibb.co/ZJDVw26
https://ibb.co/Sy6J8nn

Siemak!

I love what you're doing.  Looks awesome!  Exactly what I wanted for myself, and now have.

Nice!!!

Curt

I’m also pleased with my rme adi 2 dac, though I simply don’t understand hostility to assessing sound by listening. We get musical satisfaction from listening to music, not from reading spec sheets. Not all dacs or amplifiers that have have similar specs sound the same. Our ears are the final judge, not from being reassured by reading measurements.

Meshplate wrote:

I’m also pleased with my rme adi 2 dac, though I simply don’t understand hostility to assessing sound by listening. We get musical satisfaction from listening to music, not from reading spec sheets. Not all dacs or amplifiers that have have similar specs sound the same. Our ears are the final judge, not from being reassured by reading measurements.

Ultimately the only thing that matters is subjective listening and evaluation. You can't gauge enjoyment with an oscilloscope.

It disappoints me that discussions around power supplies and cables get shot down so fast on this forum. The whole point of this forum is to be share experiences and knowledge that we have acquired from building our different setups.

If there is one correct answer and one correct answer to an open-ended question, then RME might as well run Zendesk and be fucking done with it.

mediummanting wrote:
Meshplate wrote:

Ultimately the only thing that matters is subjective listening and evaluation. You can't gauge enjoyment with an oscilloscope.

It disappoints me that discussions around power supplies and cables get shot down so fast on this forum. The whole point of this forum is to be share experiences and knowledge that we have acquired from building our different setups.

If there is one correct answer and one correct answer to an open-ended question, then RME might as well run Zendesk and be fucking done with it.

If you like the idea the earth is flat, just enjoy yourself with it. Afaics RME is a professional audio company and people buy their dacs for their no nonsense approach. I don't think there is reason to disagree with the makers of this fine gear, when they say that power supplies can not make a difference and any half decent functioning cable is perfect, there is reason for debate. They obviously know what they are talking about. Personally I believe expensive audiophile gear is more like: I enjoy reading a book in my bath. It does not make the writing any better it is just that you enjoy it. No harm done, it would just be unethical business to say it does help, especially if they would then sell a power supply upgrade for big €€€.
No blind testing has proven anything audiophile, on the contrary. Cheaper more distorting gear is preferred 9/10 times over better in blind testing.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Waving the word professional means nothing. Engineers use the equipment they prefer for personal subjective reasons, whether that is the room, the mics, the preamps, the console, the delays, the reverbs, the daw and yes the converters. An engineer who had no ears and taste won’t last long. Also the flat earth reference is inappropriate also apart from being a troll word, it really just means dogmatic and the person here who is dogmatic is you.

Mine is not yet arrived ... may be 2 more weeks .... but since the day I placed the order and the day I joined this forum, I learnt a lot ...... this is a wonderful experience !

I never argue about interconnects or power supply, but a corrision free contact surface is a must, correct thickness and material of the cable is a must, nothing more .....

Enjoy the music, this is what we paid for the DAC to bring us the joy.

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

21 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-17 02:35:08)

Johannes,

If you haven't been Welcomed to the Forum, please allow me to do so!

Welcome!

We here do get really excited about our RMEs, and you will soon understand why.   It truly IS an End Game device, and its Generous List of Functionalities brings SO many Possibilities for your Listening Enjoyment! 

Trust that You'll be Delighted!

Enjoy!

Curt

*Precautionary Note:   When my Wife first saw the ADI-2 DAC, she seemed somewhat perplexed.

"It's SO Small!"

Johannes, those are Three (3) Words no Man ever wants to hear from a Woman wink

Well...with that said, consider yourself Forewarned.  But, Forewarned is Forearmed...so you're Good!  smile

You're going to Love it!

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes,

If you haven't been Welcomed to the Forum, please allow me to do so!

Welcome!

We here do get really excited about our RMEs, and you will soon understand why.   It truly IS an End Game device, and its Generous List of Functionalities brings SO many Possibilities for your Listening Enjoyment! 

Trust that You'll be Delighted!

Enjoy!

Curt

*Precautionary Note:   When my Wife first saw the ADI-2 DAC, she seemed somewhat perplexed.

"It's SO Small!"

Johannes, those are Three (3) Words no Man ever wants to hear from a Woman wink

Well...with that said, consider yourself Forewarned.  But, Forewarned is Forearmed...so you're Good!  smile

You're going to Love it!

Curt, Thank you for the greeting:-)  Curt, YOU ARE SO GOOD !

23 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-17 03:43:17)

Oh Johannes...I could go on (and on, and on)

We all have an RME Story. 

My New ADI-2 DAC wasn't in my posession an Hour before my Office called with a Sob Story, and I needed to Jet away immediately to a faraway place for a Multi-Week assignment. (Interestingly, to the VERY SAME place I'm sitting right now)

Yayy. Sure. 

When I say "Sob Story"...I mean they were Singin' the Blues!  Joe Williams, and SeaSick Steve could learn from them!  wink

Never mind my Family.  Being separated from my new RME was most painful.  On the upside?  It gave me the greatest motivation to study the User Manual, and Learn more!

Long Story short,...

Read the Manual, Feel Free to ask Questions, and have Fun here.  This Forum strives to dispense Fact, and does not recognize, nor utilize mis-information (ie: BS) as a form of Audio Currency.

and...for my Trademarked closer...

Enjoy!!!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

My New ADI-2 DAC wasn't in my posession an Hour before my Office called with a Sob Story, and I needed to Jet away immediately to a faraway place for a Multi-Week assignment. (Interestingly, to the VERY SAME place I'm sitting right now)

Yayy. Sure. 

When I say "Sob Story"...I mean they were Singin' the Blues!  Joe Williams, and SeaSick Steve could learn from them!  wink

Never mind my Family.  Being separated from my new RME was most painful.  On the upside?  It gave me the greatest motivation to study the User Manual, and Learn more!

Long Story short,...

Read the Manual, Feel Free to ask Questions, and have Fun here.  This Forum strives to dispense Fact, and does not recognize, nor utilize mis-information (ie: BS) as a form of Audio Currency.

and...for my Trademarked closer...

Enjoy!!!

Curt

Reading is always good, my friend smile

Yeah its nice! Its a device ive learned so much about audio from. Studio gear is so much cooler than audiophile components and cheaper too! Digital rules!!!

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

Did you guys know?
There's Polish audio-forum where some users have blind (A/B) tested the two gears:

-RME ADI-2 Pro FS R
vs
- dCS Debussy

Guess what? Completely no audible differences!
The only huge difference is a price of each.
I've had a good fun reading that! 

Regards, Siemak

27 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-17 16:39:04)

https://i.ibb.co/FhN9n2k/stack-of-money-in-us-dollars-in-cash-in-hundred-dollar-bills-HMGNH5.jpg

And THIS Gentlemen, is what the $10,000 Inaudible Difference looks like!!

The price of a glass of coke is different from a 5-star hotel and cafe ..... tongue

Happy_amateur wrote:

Yeah its nice! Its a device ive learned so much about audio from. Studio gear is so much cooler than audiophile components and cheaper too! Digital rules!!!

Audiophile components play the music recordings made by studio gear ..... big_smile

30 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-17 17:46:10)

Curt962 wrote:

Enjoy!!!

Curt

Curt, I guess most ADI-2 DAC users use the DAC for their stereo system to  listen music, is there a thread here for members to share the music they love?

Ja...many of us do just that with our ADI-2 DACs

A "Music Discussion" thread would be better suited it seems in the "Miscellaneous" section of the Forum.   Music File-Sharing via the Forum would violate Copyright Laws, and is not permissible.

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Ja...many of us do just that with our ADI-2 DACs

A "Music Discussion" thread would be better suited it seems in the "Miscellaneous" section of the Forum.   Music File-Sharing via the Forum would violate Copyright Laws, and is not permissible.

Curt

I see, I do not mean to share a music file here, I respect copyright laws. What I mean is, we can discuss a song, or an album, say, recommend to fellow members, etc etc .....

While typing this, I am now listening to Melody Gardot, "Sunset in The Blue" album with my B&W P3 headphone which I brought from leftover stock (cheap, USD 49) smile

33 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-17 18:11:48)

So long as the discussion is RME related...

Be sure and include Record Label, and Catalog # to help us find that same recording.

For what it's worth, Charity Shops are often a Gold-Mine for Music that is long since out of Print.   Cheap too! 

You have to keep your RME well-fed with a Balanced Diet of New Material, as well as the Old Classics.  That's what it's for.  wink

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

So long as the discussion is RME related...

Be sure and include Record Label, and Catalog # to help us find that same recording.

For what it's worth, Charity Shops are often a Gold-Mine for Music that is long since out of Print.   Cheap too! 

You have to keep your RME well-fed with a Balanced Diet of New Material, as well as the Old Classics.  That's what it's for.  wink

Curt

MC said not allowed, I asked him to uproot it .....

Most likely, I will have the new Dac on next Tuesday morning ....  smile

This morning the DAC (type c) finally arrived, a gorgeous petite with lots of function, it takes me a while to set it up for the Amp with the help from Matthias.

"If one buys RME, that customer buys into a long term relationship with the company"

I enjoy very much with the clean, natural sound from the DAC, and the additional functions saved me a lot of money for extra EQ, headphone amp, etc etc, as other fellow members said, it is the end game.

Thanks RME.

Lol this thread is pretty out of control but fun nonetheless. But yeah, I haven’t really seen any device come close in terms of versatility maybe the Lynx Hilo but even that unit doesn’t have all the functions the ADI-2 has.

It’s been like 4 years since the release of the ADI-2 (Pro) but still it’s years ahead of the competition in multiple aspects, truly a spectacular technical showcase by RME.

Viel spaß mit "Sonus Verus" entwickelt von RME :-)

39 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-30 00:43:16)

Sonus Versus

Johannes, the last time I said something like that I was about 5, and it did not come out sounding anything at all like "Sonus Versus"  smile  Perhaps sounding a bit closer to a more commonly heard phrase, both then and now.

I'll let You do the Math there. wink

Well, my Mother wasn't about to A/B/X what She heard, so thus it took awhile for the taste of the Soap in my mouth to dissipate, but all's well now.  Just sayin...

Seems you're having a Grand Time with your new RME, and that makes us all happy!

Listen Long, and Prosper.

Enjoy!

Curt

40 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-30 04:26:06)

Curt962 wrote:

Sonus Versus

Johannes, the last time I said something like that I was about 5, and it did not come out sounding anything at all like "Sonus Versus"  smile  Perhaps sounding a bit closer to a more commonly heard phrase, both then and now.

I'll let You do the Math there. wink

Well, my Mother wasn't about to A/B/X what She heard, so thus it took awhile for the taste of the Soap in my mouth to dissipate, but all's well now.  Just sayin...

Seems you're having a Grand Time with your new RME, and that makes us all happy!

Listen Long, and Prosper.

Enjoy!

Curt

Curt, it is not my phrase, "Sonus Verus" appears on the first page of the DAC manual  :-)

41 (edited by Curt962 2021-07-30 11:11:27)

I know.  It's a Latin Phrase that's been in the Front of the RME Manual a long time.  "Sonus" refers to "Sound"    "Versus" is a commonly used term in English, but I fail to make the Phrase "Sonus Versus" translate into anything that seems correct to  me.  "Sound Line" is the best that the On-Line Translators can come up with. So... I let it go, and accept that the phrase means something about Sound. wink

It's all good!

Curt

You misread that more than two times already. It's verus, not versus. Latin for true.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's early MC, but thanks for the clarification.   That makes considerably more sense! 

@Johannes,

With this "Linguistic Divertimento" now behind us, let's return to DAC matters!

Have you run the RME Bit Test Utility yet?   I love that one!  It's an RME Exclusive function, and tests your Data Path from Source Drive, to the DAC.   It's an easy task, and gives you the assurance that your data indeed moves from Source File to DAC completely unaltered.   Well worth your Time!

Best!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

It's early MC, but thanks for the clarification.   That makes considerably more sense! 

@Johannes,

With this "Linguistic Divertimento" now behind us, let's return to DAC matters!

Have you run the RME Bit Test Utility yet?   I love that one!  It's an RME Exclusive function, and tests your Data Path from Source Drive, to the DAC.   It's an easy task, and gives you the assurance that your data indeed moves from Source File to DAC completely unaltered.   Well worth your Time!

Best!

Curt

Good Morning Curt :-)

I did, all pass !

Johannes!

Great News!  You should be pleased with that result!    With that done, now seems like a fine time to cue up some Music, and simply enjoy your new RME. 

Surely, were your ADI-2 DAC to bring as much listening enjoyment to You, as ours has for us, then you are in for a nice treat! 

Have Fun!

Curt

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes!

Great News!  You should be pleased with that result!    With that done, now seems like a fine time to cue up some Music, and simply enjoy your new RME. 

Surely, were your ADI-2 DAC to bring as much listening enjoyment to You, as ours has for us, then you are in for a nice treat! 

Have Fun!

Curt

I am listening to music via RME ADI-2 DAC with smile :-)

47 (edited by Johannes AU 2021-07-30 12:29:45)

Curt962 wrote:

Johannes!

Great News!  You should be pleased with that result!   

Curt

It performs as it should be and expected, the EQ is so nice that I can put a bit more bass to the sub, PRIMA !