1 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-10-18 20:19:40)

Topic: Overload/short detected messages ADI-2 DAC

Hello,

My ADI-2 DAC FS show error message "overload/short detected" at random when connecting/disconnecting my Hifiman Sundara headphones. It seems like the connection is somewhat unstable or unreliable; sometimes distortion is heard until I reconnect the headphones or fiddle with the cable/jack to sit firmly.

Could it be the unit or the headphones/cable itself?

Re: Overload/short detected messages ADI-2 DAC

The unit. Please contact your local dealer or distributor for service.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When solely using the rear output 1/2, If I Change Phone <=> Line to 1/2+3/4 and intentionally turn off the HP out by long pressing volume button, will the entire amplification circuit turn off? Or is it just the final output relays are off while rail voltage is still applied to the HP opamps? Want to know if there's a way to extend its life expectancy when I am not using the HP outs.

Only the internal source/routing changes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-10-18 19:50:10)

MC wrote:

The unit. Please contact your local dealer or distributor for service.

This is going to be very expensive for me, as I'm currently in Colombia and have to send it back to the US dealer (Sweetwater), and then pay again for the return of the fixed ADI-2 to Colombia...Never thought an RME unit would break this easily, to be honest sad

I really was hoping it was a simple cable/adapter/headphones failure, as other low power headphones seem to be working just fine. The issue is just happening with the Hifiman Sundara, Hi-Power mode on, (which comes with an awful cable BTW).

6 (edited by ning 2020-10-18 20:05:28)

In this case it would take a lot of time too. recently it took 4 months for me to fix this particular issue.

It's a very common issue (search "overload adi-2" on google you'll see many reports of this). If the device is newly bought and within return window, my advice is just returning it to the seller and getting full refund. the seller might be willing to pay the shipping fee for you. If it's out of warranty / within warranty but to expensive and tedious to ship the device back and force, you could probably ask a local technician who expertise in SMD soldering for a fix.

Finding the broken chip is quite easy. Usually one chip is burnt and you can see the burn marks on the chip. The following photo shows the right bottom chip is broken on my previous machine. if you find similar marks just ask local repairman to replace it.
https://i.ibb.co/tcCzGKx/Screen-Shot-2020-10-19-at-3-50-31.png

If such burn mark is nowhere to be found, follow KaiS's method: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 89#p160089

7 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-10-19 02:10:21)

It's within warranty (purchased a month ago, september 10th 2020). Gonna have to ship it back to the US and ask Sweetwater for a full refund then sad

I don't have the expertise or will to open the unit and try to fix things by myself, sorry. Not even a local technician, I don't trust them at all at handling this precious unit.

> and you can see the burn marks on the chip.

Can you use a screenshot tool like "Greenshot" for Windows and Edit the picture and mark the chip that you mean with a red arrow ? Thanks. This would make it clearer to which one you refer to.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> and you can see the burn marks on the chip.

Can you use a screenshot tool like "Greenshot" for Windows and Edit the picture and mark the chip that you mean with a red arrow ? Thanks. This would make it clearer to which one you refer to.

Done.

10 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-19 01:19:24)

Yorrrrrr wrote:

My ADI-2 DAC FS show error message "overload/short detected" at random when connecting/disconnecting my Hifiman Sundara headphones. It seems like the connection is somewhat unstable or unreliable; sometimes distortion is heard until I reconnect the headphones or fiddle with the cable/jack to sit firmly.

Could it be the unit or the headphones/cable itself?

Yorrrrrr wrote:

I really was hoping it was a simple cable/adapter/headphones failure, as other low power headphones seem to be working just fine. The issue is just happening with the Hifiman Sundara, Hi-Power mode on, (which comes with an awful cable BTW).

This clearly points on a cable issue (temporal short).

If ADI-2 DAC's headphone amplifier was broken, the problem would happen with every headphone all the time.

11 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-10-19 02:22:36)

Yes, I really hope that is it. MC made me think otherwise (see post #2). Anyway, I'm currently waiting for a cable/adapter replacement for the Hifiman Sundara. I hope this works, before I come to the conclusion that I have to send the unit back (it would be incredibly annoying and costly in both money and time).

Meanwhile you could check if the Sundara has issues with any other headphone amplifier you might have.

KaiS wrote:

If ADI-2 DAC's headphone amplifier was broken, the problem would happen with every headphone all the time.

Unfortunately that's not true. The issue that you already explained in detail in another thread can also show like this - only when more power is used. These chips not always break completely.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by KaiS 2020-10-20 16:50:09)

MC wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Unfortunately that's not true. The issue that you already explained in detail in another thread can also show like this - only when more power is used. These chips not always break completely.

With OP-amps every thinkable effect can happen.

My experience (3 times):
If, e.g, one channel in one of the 3 OPA1688 is broken (happened here), the warning is triggered at a certain level everytime.

I have to admit, I testet this with a constant sinewave as input.
With music the exact level that triggers can vary of course.

But it did not happen that the warning randomly wasn't triggered at all, which seems to be what happens at the topic starters ADI.

Even his describtion of "wiggling the cable" changes the effect points to a cable short, same, that it doesn't happen with other 'phones.

If a cable replacement doesn't help, the ADI has to go to RME service anyway.

15 (edited by Ti D 2021-04-04 21:32:10)

Hi, I know this is an old(ish) thread and it evolved into a different discussion, but I've just had a similar problem - "overload / short detected" - with Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into an ADI-2 DAC FS.

The DAC shut the phones down repeatedly while I was listening to music at medium volume, often when I moved around/stood up; but I couldn't force the shutdown by wiggling the cable or messing around with the plugs deliberately. For obvious reasons I didn't want to do this too much. Maybe I'd got a dud set or hopefully just a bad cable, so I put the headphones to one side, ordered a new set of cables and hoped for the best...

I only received the headphones this week (it's now Sunday).

A few hours later I tried again (original cables) and that's when I discovered the cause - static electricity. By chance I was looking at the screen when I touched the casing of the headphones and got a small static click. The warning came up and the phones circuit shut down. Bingo.

I use my AKG K712s, BD DT-1990s and Sony 7506s all the time with the DAC with no issue whatsoever under exactly the same circumstances, so maybe there's something about the Sundara's metal construction. I don't know and I'm unwilling to risk the equipment with any further experimenting!

Soooo, for me at least the simple solution is... remove my nice comfortable fluffy slippers. Problem solved. Lol.