Topic: Question about routing from MADIface to ADI 2

Hey guys, I'm new here.. I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

Anyway, I was a user of the original ff800 for about 10 years, and that's when I fell in love with RME. For a few years, I was trying out other intefraces, but nothing was stable enough.

In the end, a few days ago I settled with this combo:
2x Antelope Orion 32 HD gen3
RME MADIface
RME ADI 2 pro fs r Black edition.

For a few years I was using just the orion 32hd, but it was unstable. The software was just terrible, and it lost me a lot of money. I really like the conversion though, and I mean.. where else can you find that many decent ADC's for that amount of money? I tried the ferrofish a32, and didn't like it at all sad So I just wanted to get rid of the antelope's USB streaming and connectivity, and their terrible and buggy software. So I figured, why don't I just conect them over MADI to something else and more stable?
That's when I decided to go back to RME and connect my 2 Orions over MADI. And I thought, while I'm spending my money, why don't I buy a better DAC than I already have, since some times I am doing some mastering for clients. It can't hurt having a better DAC while mixing or recording, right? smile I mean, I had ff800 for 10 or 12 years (I don't even know anymore) and it never had a hickup. It was just a workhorse (but then I was doing alright with having 8x8 IO, and now I have a lot of stuff that I use every day). Also those converters are a bit outdated now, but I digress.

Now, here's the question. Since I'm also a music producer and I play a bunch of instruments. Most of them (synths, Kemper etc) are connected to the Orion's analog inputs via DB25.
Now, for a few days, before I got the ADI 2 (pro fsr be lol) I used to monitor what I'm playing directly over the MADIface. Or should I say - I was using direct monitoring from the MADIface.
Kudos to the guys that made the new mixer, it's pretty intuitive, and I like it.

But, now that I'm monitoring trough ADI 2, I can't get my head around how to monitor directly from the inputs of MADIface?  This new mixer is unfamiliar to me, and I think that it's really intuitive for some frequently used stuff, but I can't figure out how to rout the MADI's output to the ADI 2.. I guess I should send the master from MADI via AES/EBU to the ADI, right? Does anyone have any ideas?

Btw, now and then I'm getting some weird dropouts during monitoring. It happens on the MADIface and ADI 2 both. Even if I'm just playing an youtube video.. Not sure if I just need a master clock generator (thinking about getting an antelope OCX HD), since MADIface is utilized as the master clock right now.

Thanks a lot, and keep up the good work!

Re: Question about routing from MADIface to ADI 2

There is no direct routing between the devices... But which Madiface is is this exactly, and how are the units connected?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

There is no direct routing between the devices... But which Madiface is is this exactly, and how are the units connected?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the fast reply Daniel! smile
Idk how I forgot, it's the MADIface XT. smile

So the only way to do direct monitoring is to also connect the madiface xt to my monitor controller and switch from one to another every now and then? Well that's a shame. sad
I really love the sound of the adi 2 pro fsr be, and it's going to be a pain in the ass to switch from one to another since I'ld have to switch the interface on the pc every time sad

Cheers from Belgrade

Well, with the XT you do have the AES connection, so direct monitoring/routing to this output will work just as it works with the analog output... What exactly is not working as expected? Is the ADI only connected to the XT via AES?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Well, with the XT you do have the AES connection, so direct monitoring/routing to this output will work just as it works with the analog output... What exactly is not working as expected? Is the ADI only connected to the XT via AES?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yes it is, but to be honest I don't know how to send the main output to the ADI (or how to select it as the main input on the ADI for that matter)

Our Totalmix tutorials at rme.to/tm should help...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Our Totalmix tutorials at rme.to/tm should help...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

So it's possible? Great.
Just what I was looking for, thanks.

What 'MADIface' is that exactly? And where are the AES outputs?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

What 'MADIface' is that exactly? And where are the AES outputs?

Madiface xt. It's connected to the adi via aes, but idk how to set up the routing. I'm about to watch a bunch of tutorials instead of finishing a song, but hey... that's life for ya! smile