1 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-23 21:38:01)

Topic: AD/DA companion for Digiface USB

I am rebuilding to a smaller 99% work in the box solution.
I chose Digiface USB for its multichannel loopback, easy expansion options and for the facts that it is simple, runs cool, and runs of USB power. I do not need the DSP, mic preamps.
In addition, hence my journey, I want to record from analog sources, e.g. for recording a synth or digitizing a record. Stereo A to D is good enough.

Main goals:
1) keep it simple, no clutter
2) top quality
3) as cost effective as possible.
4) running cool

Main needs:
A to D to bring into Digiface USB.

Via searching I found ADI-2 FS. ADI-2 FS might be the nice companion for my Digiface USB, then looking at just A to D usage it will not get daily use. For the price I didn't know.
Then I got aware that ADI-2 FS of already steep 700EUR had also D to A conversion at the same time, this means I could use it also as DAC between Digiface USB and my integrated amp which would justify the purchase. Then on this forum I asked whether the D to A conversion of ADI-2 FS would be an improvement to that of the DAC in my integrated amp, but answer found on this forum is that it would not be better. In the discussion I was advised to look more in direction of ADI-2 Pro FS which costs 1700 EUR but has much more options. I could see its future use with the DSP onboard, but it is no longer as uncluttered as I would want.

Hence I want to ask, what would be a good companion for the Digiface USB?

On RME website there are A LOT of nice products.
So I ask, is ADI-2 FS a good companion to Digiface, or ADI-8 DS Mk III or something else? After all I have ADAT IO available.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

2 (edited by ramses 2020-10-23 20:22:13)

Re: AD/DA companion for Digiface USB

Rephrased / some additions pls reread.

Hi,

sorry, but for me your use cases and requirements are not clear.

As you say you have a Digiface USB which is a relatively small device from form factor. And you could get an ADI-2 FS or an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE which is also a small form factor. But then you say you might need more channels and jump to an ADI-8 DS Mk III which is a 19" device.

For the price of a Digiface USB €349 and an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE €1695 (TOTAL €2004) you could also get an UFX+ for €2137 with advanced features like DUREC, AUTOSET, four cool Mic Preamps, 8 analog I/O, MADI (for digital connections up to 2 km between up to 8 MADI devices), ADAT (for digital connections up to 10-15m), 2 very nice phones preamps, 2x ADAT, USB3 and Thunderbolt.

The UFX+ or UFX II would most likely substitute the Digiface USB fully and you wouldn't have any demand for an additional converter as the UFX+ has it all in very good quality in one package, compact in 1 rack unit.

Or the little brother (UFX II) with only USB2 and without MADI, otherwise the same good recording device and feature set.

So if you do not need all the phones preamps features of an ADI-2 Pro and are unsure whether it should better be an ADI-8 which is simply a converter ... well why not get the UFX+ which is a fantastic device and has all the good features for you included in one box which also allows for standalone operation and has for a recording interface a really advanced featureset.

And if you want, then you can add to it an ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2 DAC FS to it at any ater point... The phones preamps are already nice. Ok it doesn't have dynamic loudness and other ADI-2 Pro / DAC related features, but for that price you have workhorse with a lot of useful features in one rack unit.

You should think about, for what you need the devices and then try to specify your demands / requirements more specific.
Otherwise there are too many solutions possible and nobody knows whats really needed and what to propose.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-23 21:37:07)

Edited into 1st post.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

4 (edited by ramses 2020-10-23 21:30:48)

If 2 channels are enough, then get an ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, its a phantastic device and you can perfectly combine it with the Digiface USB. Most up to date converters, has now even a remote control and is also a very good phones preamp with very unique features.

Integration into a setup with a TM FX recording interface, see my blog:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … our-Setup/

A blog article about the older version "ADI-2 Pro":
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … C3%A4rker/

If you think you do not need the features of the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and if you want to save cost, then have a look at ADI-2 FS.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

5 (edited by fieldstu 2020-10-23 22:16:47)

@ramses, very clear written infopages.

I feel more for extra channels than for preamps or DSP.
I also see added value of the filter choosing and the remote control of ADI-2 FS Pro BE R.
just wanting to make sure that conversionwise I do not miss any of the options available.

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

I don't understand why you worry about temperatures. The devices can handle it and are designed for their / this purpose. Just make sure that above and below the devices that get a little warmer, there is still a flow of air that can pass by so that the heat does not build up. For example I have 3 units in a rack with 4 RU height. That is quite sufficient and more is not necessary.

In terms of ADI-2 Pro FS R BE. What features I really like and why I recommend this unit for the monitoring section:

- slowly raising the headphone volume when plugging-in headphones and when switching between monitors and phones
- crack-free switching on and off
- State overview display gives excellent information for troubleshooting your digital connections
- Bit perfect test to ensure lossles operation end to end
- dynamic loudness, very nice when working in the home office, you turn down the volume and sound doesn't become thin
- auto ref level feature to optimize automatically for optimum SNR honoring B/T, Loudness, PEQ settings
- possibility to switch between 4 different reference levels
- intelligent loudness control, adaptable to your own listening habits
- 5-band PEQ to adjust phones or hearing deficites
- Sample Rate Converter, just in case you need to connect devices with other / fix sample rate (i.e. DAT with 48 kHz) which might be unequal to your recording project, i.e. if you want to archive everything on disk with either 44.1 or 96 kHz or whatever alike ...

If you need even more channels get an ADI-2 FS additionally.

About temperatures: my prev soundcard (other wellknown brand) goes very warm and then becomes unstable.

The converter would get its place inbetween a small cabinet = imo not so ventilated place. If 5 cm on all sides is acceptable then i have no issues with temperature.

PS what is going on with the 1400 eur version of the grey/blue ADI2ProFS?

ADI2, Digiface, ARC

8 (edited by ramses 2020-10-24 09:15:20)

Rephrased / some additions pls reread.

> About temperatures: my prev soundcard (other wellknown brand) goes very warm and then becomes unstable.

I would forget about it: a) other brand .. and b) maybe the x,y % being a little out of specs ...

One bad experience should not lead to wrong conclusions trying to avoid everything over 44°C which you can't comfortably touch with your hand. Hot is relative for us humans. There are CPUs running at over 80-90° up to 100°C, see this article:
https://www.tweakpc.de/news/39636/intel … nd-normal/
"Intel Core i7-7700K: Temperaturspitzen von über 90 Grad sind normal"

Some electronical parts simply get some work and they are desgigned to operate at temperature that we can't touch anymore with our sensible fingers and which regard as "hot".

> The converter would get its place inbetween a small cabinet = imo not so ventilated place.
> If 5 cm on all sides is acceptable then i have no issues with temperature.

Should work if front and back are open ... in my Thomann Rack (3 of 4 RU used) I have approx 1,3cm between devices and between top and bottom.

> PS what is going on with the 1400 eur version of the grey/blue ADI2ProFS?

AFAIK has been replaced entirely by ADI-2 Pro FS R BE

with all recommendations made then ADI-2 Pro FS R BE still fits best

ADI2, Digiface, ARC