Topic: ADI-2 FS Issues with ALSA on LInux and SDM (DSD)

I am having issues with my ADI-2 FS with DSD DirectStream.

DSD Direct enabled on the ADI-2

In BOTH cases using HQPlayer with the same exact settings. (DirectStream, DoP, 44.1  x128 or 256).

In both cases HQP Server is streaming to a network daemon over a 1GBit wired network.

In senario A there is no gaps. In scenario B there is.

SCENARIO A: WORKS OK
- Windows 10
- ASIO. drivers installed
- USB

SCNEARIO B: GAPS
- RoPieeXL (Arch Linux) on a Pi3B+
- ALSA
- USB
- htop shows not heavy stress on the pi

-------------------------------------------------

Given the only difference is ALSA v. ASIO, could this be a possible reason for the gaps?

2 (edited by bejoro 2020-10-27 07:22:02)

Re: ADI-2 FS Issues with ALSA on LInux and SDM (DSD)

Up to Raspberry Pi 3, LAN and USB share one interface lane. Especially with streaming HiRes (88,96,176, 192 kHz...) or DSD you will get gaps, but also with 44 kHz eventually.

Get a Raspberry Pi 4 and you will be fine. With the Pi 4 they corrected this problem, all interfaces have separate PCIe  lanes and therefore enough bandwidth. It works with Pi4 perfectly here in my setups and at my customers.

bejoro's suggestion to use a Pi4 is correct, I have DSD256 working fine with a Pi4, and can reliably introduce problems if I replace it with a Pi3 or older.

I would also suggest the use of a Ethernet switch in your network which will effective isolate the streaming network traffic between your UPnP server and your UPnP renderer (the Pi), such that it is point-to-point between these systems.

RPi4 | RME ADI-2 Pro FS R BE | Senn HD600 | Sugden Masterclass AA | Teddy Pardo i80d | Naim SBL

Thank you both. This was a consideration I clearly overlooked in my desire to avoid the theoretically higher noise of a Pi 4 MAY introduce but had not considered the architectural flaws of the PI3.

5 (edited by bejoro 2020-10-27 16:51:54)

I am not sure what you mean by higher noise of a Pi 4 but with passively cooled aluminium cases you can build a complete silent system but also with proper cooling of the Pi 4 even with extremely high CPU/GPU load.

The Argon neo case for Pi 4 is passively cooled with very good cooling perfomance but no power switch.

The Argon ONE has a fan but you can disable it or set the fan profile to a high temperature (70 deg. C). It is also completely silent.
The Argon ONE has the advantage of a power switch to start/shutdown the system.
Thr Argon neo has no power switch, it starts the Pi 4 with power available.

I have used the Argon ONE for my own setups and several customer's setups and we are very happy with it.

Both cases provide extrem good cooling performance for Pi 4. I tested both cases with extreme stress tests.