1 (edited by Urs55 2020-11-14 12:39:59)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R and Genelec Signal Sensing Feature

I use a ADI-2 Pro (FS R Black Edition) connected via Analogue Out (XLR) to a pair of Genelec 8040B monitors.

The Genelecs have a feature called ISS, i.e.:
Intelligent Signal Sensing. This automatically powers the monitors down to standby mode after a certain time when playback has ended. This feature worked well with my previous DAC (Resonessence Invicta). Now comes the strange thing:

Situation 1)
ADI-2 Pro is powered on (white light ring around the power button), no input signal for ca. 50 minutes:
the Genelecs go into standby mode (as expected)

Situation 2)
ADI-2 Pro switched off (red light ring around the power button), no input signal since any time longer than 50 minutes: the Genelecs remain fully powered on.

In addition, I did this test:
Situation 1). Waited until the Genelecs went to sleep (green LEDs off). Now I switched off the RME ADI-2 Pro (so that the red light ring occurs). After less than one minute, the Genelecs woke up (green LEDs on).

There must be something going on at the balanced outputs of the ADI if the unit is in standby mode (red light ring), that prevents the Genelecs from going to sleep. Any thoughts and hints would be greatly appreciated.

2 (edited by Curt962 2020-11-14 15:57:19)

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R and Genelec Signal Sensing Feature

Urs,

Nothing is Broken!   

We've seen this here in the Forum before.  There IS a curious signal from the DAC when placed in Stdby with the rest of the System still on.  This is what is keeping your Genelecs awake.

Simplest solution is to REMOVE Power from the DAC completely.  Then, your Genelec's ISS will function as intended.   

As no one listens with the DAC asleep (impossible in a digital system) it's really a non-issue.   A simple Power Strip would be your answer.   One Button, and the entire works goes to bed at the end of the day. smile Zzzzzzzzzzz

Best Regards,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks for your answer, Curt.

I see, I have two options, eiher using a power strip, as you suggested or leave the ADI always on (using dark mode). From what I read the latter would use about 6W as long as no sound is processed.

The power strip adds some inconvenience in our setting (TV sound via optical and roon endpoint via USB) and leaving the ADI always on is a slight waste of energy.

Maybe this can be solved with a future firmware upgrade, if not it's an excellent device anyway, which I am enjoying very much. By the way, also an excellent remote control.

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-14 18:29:07)

The reason for this behavior is:
In standby ADI-2 Pro's outputs go open circuit, no more termination to ground on the output lines XLR 2+3.
Due to this, residual stray currents from the PSU or from connected USB source cause a faint hum signal on the ground potential.

If you listen with your ears close to the Genelecs you probably can hear it.

Possible solution could be:
Solder 2 resistors 10kΩ between XLR pin 1+2 and 1+3 in the interconnect cable.
This would terminate the open lines and probably remove the residual signal that prevents the Genelecs from going into standby.

ADI-2 Pro's idle power consumption is 11 W (measured) with or without Auto Dark Mode, BTW.
Standby is about 0.2 W.

5 (edited by Curt962 2020-11-14 19:24:09)

Urs...

I live in the Aviation World.  There's always ONE BIG BUTTON that makes everything go dark. wink

I have that home too.  One Push...

See that button on the left?   That Baby is the GateKeeper!! 

https://i.ibb.co/s5n4nXC/1605377171634713958480751589911.jpg

POOF!

Belkin PF-60.  I decide in advance who switches off, and who doesn't.   Also a Mains Minder.  If input voltage exceeds (+/-) a predetermined safe limit...the whole shebang disconnects.   Pretty neat!   Ive had it for years.

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

KaiS wrote:

In standby ADI-2 Pro's outputs go open circuit, no more termination to ground on the output lines XLR 2+3.
Due to this, residual stray currents from the PSU or from connected USB source cause a faint hum signal on the ground potential.

This would terminate the open lines and probably remove the residual signal that prevents the Genelecs from going into standby.

ADI-2 Pro's idle power consumption is 11 W (measured) with or without Auto Dark Mode, BTW.
Standby is about 0.2 W.

Do you think, a high quality power supply could help to avoid the residual stray current / residual signal? Would it be worth to test?

7 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-15 07:54:42)

Urs55 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Standby is about 0.2 W.

Do you think, a high quality power supply could help to avoid the residual stray current / residual signal? Would it be worth to test?

The chances aren't that good. Let's find the reason first.

Checklist:
• First: do you hear anything, listening close to the Genelecs, ADI-2 Pro in standby? If yes, repeat this while going thougt the points below.
• Try removing the PSU.
• Check the grounding situation, maybe you suffer from a ground loop.
As studio owner you might already know what I'm talking about.
As test, remove every other connection to ADI-2 Pro one by one, with and without PSU connected.
• Maybe variable passive attenuators can help, serving a double purpose:
Creating a ground reference at standby, and optimizing the level situation.
• Personally I'd try the 10kΩ resistor mod mentioned.  Costs a penny and 10 minutes of work.

If your question aims on sound improvements too, by a "better" power supply, forget it.