Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS, adat vs usb?

Hello,

What would be the best connection with the least amount of delay?

Thanks

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS, adat vs usb?

What is source, what is destination ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by KaiS 2020-11-17 00:05:17)

fabriciom wrote:

Hello,

What would be the best connection with the least amount of delay?

Thanks

Both can be fast.

The ADAT interconnect per se doesn't have a sample related latency.
But the ADAT signal is generated somewhere - this source might or might not have a delaying buffer.

When looking at very low latencies in context with acoustic sounds the speed of sound in the air has to be taken into account.
The latency related to this effect might easily be bigger than the one from the signal processing.

4 (edited by fabriciom 2020-11-17 09:00:49)

ramses wrote:

What is source, what is destination ?

Source = PC, destination = monitors connected to XLR.

Im trying to decided if to use the card in a Mac with my raydat or USB (and sell the raydat).

With RME drivers the RTL with USB / PCIe is nearly the same.
When comparing RayDAT and UFX/UFX+ (via USB3), also the CPU consumption looks pretty equal
and depends maybe more on how powerful (or old) your CPU/system is.

If you use the RayDAT you have nearly the same RTL like with USB, then a very short transfer time via ADAT
and the AD/DA conversion time of the converters.

If you use an USB interface then you have nearly the same RTL like with PCIe, depending on whether the I/O port is,
maybe the already mentioned short time for transport over ADAT and then the time for AD DA conversion.

Where the RTL (between recording interface/card and the PC and back)
- is alays higher compared to converter latency and
- depends on the ASIO buffer size

I would say its not that much of a difference, but your mileage may vary / we all have different DAW projects, HW, use cases.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13