Topic: PS5 and RME ADI-2 DAC

Sony in their focus on redefining the 3D audio have decided to drop toslink port...(?? WTF) So how can RME ADI-2 be hooked up to it? Will it work via USB? I don't manege to get ps5 yet so I couldn't try it...

Re: PS5 and RME ADI-2 DAC

Sebastian.Athea wrote:

Sony in their focus on redefining the 3D audio have decided to drop toslink port...(?? WTF) So how can RME ADI-2 be hooked up to it? Will it work via USB? I don't manege to get ps5 yet so I couldn't try it...

I think not.
I suspect usb is for computer connection   I maybe wrong.  Would be interesting for see.

I have done a bit more research on this and PS5 supports usb DACs that use UAC1, but not anything newer than that. I know some DACs have the ability to toggle between UAC1 and UAC2, I dunno if it's possible but it would be great if an option to switch between UAC1 and UAC2 would be added to firmware for better compatibility.

That will definitely not happen. UAC1 is limited to 48 kHz 2 channels - not worth the development effort. Also it seems the PS5 UAC1 is less compatible than the PS4 one. IMHO Sony will have to update their firmware adding UAC2, especially as they removed the optical port.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah I have a feeling sony won't do that... balls

6 (edited by HenningGrote 2020-12-08 16:51:51)

If your TV has a SPDIF optical (Toslink) out, maybe connecting that to the RME could work.

You will only get audio, that is sampled by the TV, but you will get audio from your games to the RME / your HiFi syste. Might be worth to try out.

HenningGrote wrote:

If your TV has a SPDIF optical (Toslink) out, maybe connecting that to the RME could work.

You will only get audio, that is sampled by the TV, but you will get audio from your games to the RME / your HiFi syste. Might be worth to try out.

I have a PC monitor, it doesn't have any audio ports or audio hardware whatsoever.