1 (edited by srsmith 2021-01-15 18:16:42)

Topic: BSOD's with windows 10 version 20H2 with ADI-2 DAC FS ... [RESOLVED]

Hello,

[UPDATE:
This was apparently related to Asus sound software package and/or other Asus software. Removing all Asus and Asus third party software from the system resolved this issue. Only essential intel drivers are installed]

Some background – The BSODs started with the launch of windows 10 v2004, RME has released 2-3 driver versions since then and MS has released version 20H2 of the OS and the BSODs never stopped.  Over the past 6 months, I ‘ve tried to eliminate the BSOD’s by replacing hardware and cables; I upgraded 2 of the computer Motherboards and replaced USB cables. MC noted he'd experienced issues with  Asmedia USB ports so I am using Intel USB Hubs and ports instead of the 3rd party USB ports.

Most importantly, I tested another RME ADI-2 DAC FS and could not get it to cause a BSOD  in ~3 weeks of testing it - so I would like to rule out my DAC causing the BSODs.

Are there some tests I can run to see if it is my DAC?

Thanks in advance.

Re: BSOD's with windows 10 version 20H2 with ADI-2 DAC FS ... [RESOLVED]

Not really. If you plug back the other DAC and can reproduce the BSODs again then it looks like a physical USB problem. Do you see errors in the Settings dialog at higher sample rates or DSD operation?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by srsmith 2021-01-04 08:51:59)

I've not been looking for errors since the BSOD's occur when the DAC is powered off after playback is paused for ~an hour or so but I will.   

A few hours ago I started retesting my DAC in the system where the other DAC did not fail (call it "original system") - I should know if it works or dies in a couple of days.  That said, I have been testing my DAC on a newly built machine ("new system") and I've learned that it will likely continue to crash the original system since its had a half-dozen BSODs from 12/20 through this morning on the new machine.

Since there  are no tests, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about how to nail this down - its getting expensive and I might be better off buying another DAC. Below are specs for equipment involved along with the 'evidence' relating the BSODs to the DAC.

The ADI-2 DAC FS Firmware Version is 34, USB version is 34 and USB driver is version 0.9734. The DAC is always connected via XLR to a Stax SRM-700T amplifier, but mostly I use it as a headphone amplifier for a variety of headphones so the Stax is rarely powered on. I use the RME ASIO driver with Roon to feed the RME.

The two computer motherboards are:

• ASUS Strix Z490-E ATX MB, 64.0 GB dram, Intel i7-10700K CPU

• ASUS Strix Z390-I ITX MB, 16GB dram, Intel I5-8600K CPU

Windows 10 on both is identical:

• Edition    Windows 10 Pro

• Version    20H2, OS build    19042.685

• Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Both of these computers have upgraded motherboards, done to eliminate them as a source of error. Similarly, RME has updated the driver to correct possible issues with surprise removal while using ASIO. This seems to have changed the character of the BSODs in that they occur under different circumstances and there is little evidence about what caused them. In short, its taken longer for me to find evidence that the RME is related to the changed character of these BSODs aside from me observing that it occurs when powering off the DAC. 

Evidence: The mini and full memory dumps have the RME ADI-2 DAC’s Device ID, highlighted below, in them. 
11: kd> !blackboxpnp
    PnpActivityId      : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    PnpActivityTime    : 132541634141963316
    PnpEventInformation: 3
    PnpEventInProgress : 0
    PnpProblemCode     : 24
    PnpVetoType        : 0
    DeviceId           : USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FD3\C03A01B44E7C2C8
    VetoString         :

Using msinfo.exe, the DeviceId maps to:
•    Name: RME ADI-2 DAC
•    Manufacturer: RME
•    PNP Device ID: USB\VID_2A39&PID_3FD3\C03A01B44E7C2C8
•    Driver: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\MADIFACE_USB_64.SYS (0.9.734.0, 286.26 KB (293,128 bytes)

Note: I've only seen this in the new system and will be looking for it in the original system if it crashes. Will this be helpful to RME?

Thanks in advance.

4 (edited by srsmith 2021-01-04 10:59:50)

MC wrote:

Not really. If you plug back the other DAC and can reproduce the BSODs again then it looks like a physical USB problem. Do you see errors in the Setting dialog at higher sample rates or DSD operation?

Nope, zero errors. Over ~2 hours, I progressed through 44.1/16, 96/24, and DSD64 w/out error.