Topic: Babyface Pro Fs, Cpu paeks with pops and audio errors

Hi RME Experts,

in December 2020 I bought a new Babyface Pro Fs. It should replace my Roland Quad Capture UA-55. I need the audio interface for composing orchestral music  and piano music with virtual instruments e.g. East West, VSL in Cubase and Dorico. Since the first day I have used the Babyface pro fs I experience repeating and sudden Cpu peaks that reach 90-100 %. Sometimes there is a short period without the peaks and then it comes again with one until 6 Peaks per 10 seconds. The average Cpu usage is often around 30 -40%. The cpu peaks causing pops and audio errors. I never had that with my old Roland Quad-Capture UA-55. With my old Roland I only had pops and errors when e.g with a piano vst or orchestral vst to much voices have to been calculated by the cpu, but in this case the cpu usage rised slowly and cumulative. There were no sudden, extreme peaks. Another thing i have noticed that the fluctuation of real life CPU usage is higher and more unstable with the Babyface Pro FS in comparison with my old Roland.

Maybe someone could help me to get the babyface pro fs working as it should.

PC:

Windows 10
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z97C
Ram: 16 GB Kingston DDR 3
Graphiccard: MSI GTX 970  (I have unplugged it alredy to test if it causes the problem)
2xSamsung Evo840
1xSamsung Evo Plus 970 NVMe M.2

Peripherie:

Mouse
Keyboard
E-Piano Yamaha Clp 585
eLicencer
iLok
USB Stick

The computer is not connected via Wlan or Lan.

Re: Babyface Pro Fs, Cpu paeks with pops and audio errors

Hello!

Recent thread: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32269

Long read, but a wealth of information!!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by Benjamin91 2021-01-23 22:52:56)

Hi, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately i have not find any solution. I would like to upload a few screenshots to make my problem clearer, but I don´t know how to upload screenshots here. If it is not possible, is there an other way to provide visible information to you?

The actions I´ve taken so far:

1. I removed my MSI Nvidia GTX 970 from my computer and activated the internal Grahpics Card. I deleted my Nvidia Driver and installed the driver for Intel HD Graphics which fits to my internal Graphics Card.
2. I deactivated C-States in UEFI
3.  I have flashed my BIOS to the latest available version which is 2801.
4. I have chosen "No Sound" in Sound Systemoptions instead of "Windows-Standard"

If it is possible for you and other visitors of this thread to answer in native german, it would be great for me. Especially in such technical thinks it is more easy to understand what is meant.

4 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2021-01-25 01:53:47)

Hello, again!

I 'm sorry, I don' t speak german, but I will try to write simple, so that you could use a translator if there is something that you don't understand!

Since you have disabled C-states,
You can try these, first:

- Optimize Windows for Background Tasks
- Highest Performance power settings
- Disable unnecessary windows services

You can, also, experiment by turning on or off any Speed stepping options in the Bios, like Turbo-Boost or anything similar.

Regarding NVidia graphics card, check the settings and see if you can set it to highest performance, as well.

Also, try connecting your BF Pro to a Usb Port in the back of your PC.

Also, go to Device manager -> Usb controllers -> Usb Hubs -> Right click on the one the BF Pro Fs is connected to -> Properties -> Power Management -> UnCheck the "Allow windows to turn off this device" Option

Also, you can try increasing the buffer! What buffer are you using? (you can check that in the BF Pro FS driver settings)

EDIT: About attaching pictures, you can check here:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/ by Ramses

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Benjamin91 wrote:

If it is possible for you and other visitors of this thread to answer in native german, it would be great for me. Especially in such technical thinks it is more easy to understand what is meant.

Dann weiss ich nicht warum Sie Ihre Zeit in einem englisch-sprachigen Forum verbringen, statt den RME Support direkt oder unseren Vertrieb in D  anzurufen. Beide sprechen Deutsch und können das alles mit Ihnen diskutieren...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Läuft der Computer denn ohne Babyface gut ? Ohne CPU-Ausraster ?
Um die Musik zu hören einen Kopfhörer am Mainboard anstecken für Testzwecke.

Und dann würde ich das Babyface mal an einem anderen Computer ausprobieren, vielleicht ein Notebook aus dem Bekanntenkreis ?

Wenn der Computer nur dann zickt wenn das Babyface angeschlossen ist, dann weiss ich auch nicht weiter ( Mac-Nerd).
RME-Support kontaktieren. Es gibt sicher eine Lösung.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

7 (edited by Benjamin91 2021-01-25 11:49:49)

@ Hallo Matthias Carstens:

ich hatte bereits mit Herrn Fuchs Kontakt, der mir aber leider nicht weiterhelfen konnte und mich schließlich zum Forum weiterverwiesen hat von RME oder Gearlutz. Anbei sende ich mal ein paar Links zu meinem Google Drive. Dort Screenshots vom Problem und LatencyMon zu sehen.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … sp=sharing

@waedi: and @Matthias Cartens

Hi, my PC runs stable. Until recently I used an Roland Quad-Capture UA-55 as an Audio Interface that runs ok.When activating more mic positions in a piano vst, I get a rising CPU load until pops, cracks and audio errors appears when CPU usage reached bit by bit 100% sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Because I have read about advantages in terms of lower latency and lower CPU usage in various forums I decided to switch to RME and spend my savings. I hoped by that, to firstly reduce my latency for improved real time playing and secondly, to reduce my CPU load/usage. Unfortunately I don´t have these advantages, but instead I additionally get this CPU peak problem with pops, cracks and audio errors. Furthermore the basic CPU usage is less stable  than with the Roland (IMHO). I haven´t this issue with my older Roland Quad-Capture UA-55 bought in 2014. And in order to avoid a retoure of the Babyface to the shop, I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

@metalheadkeys

Also, try connecting your BF Pro to a Usb Port in the back of your PC.

I use the babyface with an usb 3.0 port in the back of my pc. The adjacent USB port on the right side is free. One of the two usb 3.0 ports underneath is used for my e-piano.

- Highest Performance power settings
- Disable unnecessary windows services

How to do that?

Background process Priority is adjustable within systems settings under advanced system settings right?

Genau. Erweitert, Leistung - Einstellungen, Erweitert, Hintergrunddienste. Bringt aber auf modernen Rechnern normalerweise nichts.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME