Topic: No sound from RaspPi4B via DigiPi+ input through AES to ADI-2 Pro FSR

I got the DigiPi+ hat of RPi4B and attempted to output music file from the AES output of it to the AES input of the ADI-2. There was no sound. The DigiPi+ also has an optical output which I could get sound from. Is there anything I have missed in setting the AES input of the ADI-2?

Re: No sound from RaspPi4B via DigiPi+ input through AES to ADI-2 Pro FSR

It is seen that the AES is not synchronised and I don’t know how to synchronise it.

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-22 10:43:42)

You could check if ADI-2’s clock is set to AES.

If you have an USB connection, try to unplug it.
You can see the clock source in the “State Overview”-page, press Encoder2 once.

The setup is complex, as the options are different for the different “Device Modes”, that literally change the ADI-2 Pro into different devices.

I finally settled on ‘Basic Mode” = DAC for home use.
It simplifies some settings, i.e. clock follows the input.

Thanks KaiS.
The AES can play CD via the AES output of the CD transport. The State Overview showed AES being synchronised. However when connected to the RPi4B, the AES column in the SO showed “- -“.

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-22 14:31:18)

If ADI-2 Pro’s AES input works with your CD transport, but not with the RaspPi4B, the R4B’s AES does not deliver a signal - that’s where I would check for problems.

Do you use the same cable?

KaiS wrote:

If ADI-2 Pro’s AES input works with your CD transport, but not with the RaspPi4B, the R4B’s AES does not deliver a signal - that’s where I would check for problems.

Y, the same cable. The P4B’s AES does not deliver a signal? —- this has been checked already in the first place. I used an adapter, AES converting to RCA, and fed the signal to the coaxial input of the ADI-2, I got sound from it.

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-23 07:38:52)

ykkan2006 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Y, the same cable. The P4B’s AES does not deliver a signal? —- this has been checked already in the first place. I used an adapter, AES converting to RCA, and fed the signal to the coaxial input of the ADI-2, I got sound from it.

Double check on my side:
• The ADI-2‘s AES works with your CD-Transport?!
• Did you try another cable?

Then the P4B‘s AES signal level might be too weak.

I once tried to connect an SPDIF coax to the AES (ca. 0.7 Vp-p) , but that was just at the edge of not working stable.

• If you, or someone around you has an oscilloscope you could check.

• Does the P4B’s interface maybe have jumpers or any option to adjust the AES’s signal level?

KaiS wrote:

Double check on my side:
• The ADI-2‘s AES works with your CD-Transport?!
A: yes

• Did you try another cable?
A: same cable for CD transport and Pi4B

Then the P4B‘s AES signal level might be too weak.
A:AES from Pi4B converted to RCA feeding to ADI-2 sound ok.

I once tried to connect an SPDIF coax to the AES (ca. 0.7 Vp-p) , but that was just at the edge of not working stable.
A: your case is the reverse of the one I tried.

• If you, or someone around you has an oscilloscope you could check.

• Does the P4B’s interface maybe have jumpers or any option to adjust the AES’s signal level?

A: Mentioned that sound coming from converted coaxial input to ADI-2,

Summing up: my request in the first post of this topic is still valid. How to set the ADI2 Hope the RME support can entertain it.

ykkan2006 wrote:

A: Mentioned that sound coming from converted coaxial input to ADI-2,

Summing up: my request in the first post of this topic is still valid. How to set the ADI2 Hope the RME support can entertain it.

There’s nothing more to setup on ADI-2 Pro - you reported having a working AES input on ADI-2 if you connect your CD transport.

This alone makes it clear, problem is outside ADI-2.

Watch out for the max. samplerate of 192 kHz from RB4., but this would affect coax input too.