Topic: ADI-2 DAC FS - Possible to disable the DAC?

I have an ADI-2 DAC FS and have the following question:

1. Is it possible to disable the DAC?  Or do so selectively based on configuration? 

I am going to be using it as a DAC & preamp for my main audiophile stereo setup, which is:

Laptop (Source) via USB -> ADI-2 DAC FS (DAC/volume control/room correction) -> Class-D Monoblocks via XLR -> passive speakers.

I'm ALSO possibly going to use it as a volume control for my PC audio/music studio setup, which would be:

Laptop (Source) via USB -> ADI-2 DAC FS (volume control ONLY) -> AES/EBU converter -> Genelec Active Speakers via digital input (using the active speaker's internal DAC and amp).  Room correction done with Genelec GLM.

It should be possible to use the ADI-2 DAC FS for both configurations above right?  If so, for the 2nd config above, would I need to disable the internal DAC on the ADI-2 DAC FS?  I wouldn't want it to do double DA conversions going through 2 DACs.

Or, what if I want to some day use the 1st config above except use a different, external DAC?  Could I disable the internal DAC?

Thanks in advance.

Re: ADI-2 DAC FS - Possible to disable the DAC?

The ADI-2 DAC does not have a digital output like SPDIF coax or optical, or AES.

Therefore it cannot feed your Genelec’s digital input.

The ADI-2 Pro can do this.

Thanks for your reply!  I intend to use the RME ADI-2* for my main music system with passive speakers and also for my pc/studio audio system with active speakers.  So I want to be able to also pass a digital signal straight through to the active speakers which has its own DAC and amplification.

So, if I get the ADI-2 Pro, it can do this.  Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a remote, which I also want, so would I do just as well with an ADI-2 Pro R BE?  If so, then I may be in business.  But I do notice a slight difference in specs and default settings for the PRO R BE vs the DAC FS, the latter may be more catered towards audiophiles than studio engineers.  Also, the DAC FS has 2 optical inputs, which is nice for having 2 different sources.

That said, if the Pro R BE can let me run my passive speakers thru its DAC and control the volume, and also run my active speakers bypassing the RME DAC and using the speakers internal DAC and amps plus let me control the volume, then it will accomplish what I want.

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-24 18:12:29)

The current version of ADI-2 Pro FS comes with the extended IR Remote.

ADI-2 Pro offers 3 independent digital inputs, AND 3 outputs:
SPDIF optical, SPDIF coaxial and AES XLR (on the D-Sub extender break out cable).

There‘s an analog input too, that might come handy in a home environment.

If you need more digital inputs you can use a switcher.
I‘m using a Friendchip 8x8 digital matrix switcher to access all my device.

The switchers come in different flavors and aren’t a huge invests.

Where did you find out that the current ADI-2 Pro FS comes with extended IR remote?  I checked their webpage and the compare function and it doesn't show a remote is included for it.  It only shows that it comes with ADI-2 DAC FS and ADI-2 Pro R BE.

Also, if the current ADI-2 Pro FS DOES come with a remote, then what differentiates the Pro FS from the Pro R BE?  They both would seem to be very similar.

I'm starting to think that maybe I don't NEED to get the ADI-2 Pro fro what I want to do, and that it can be done with the ADI-2 DAC FS.  I basically want 2 setups to co-exist:

1. Mac Source (usb out)-> RME ADI-2 DAC FS (xlr out) > Class-D monoblocks (speaker L/R out) -> passive speakers
   [this would use the DAC, volume control and DSP from the RME ADI-2]

2. Mac Source (usb out)-> Scarlett Clarett 8Pre audio interface (usb out)
                  -> Genelec GLM module (volume control jack) -> Genelec volume control knob ->                                  |
                  -> Genelec GLM module (network jacks) -> Genelec active speakers

[this would use the same Mac as source, go straight to Genelec GLM for volume control and use the Genelec active speakers
    built-in DAC, amps, and room correction/DSP].

So  I don't have to use the RME ADI-2 DAC FS in the chain for the Genelec active speakers at all, although I could if I use the ADI-2 PRO FS since it has digital inputs.  Then I could use the same RME ADI-2 PRO volume control for both sets of speakers (the active and passive).

But I don't know if this means the RME would apply its own DSP to the signal going to the Genelec speakers, and going this route would require acquiring more expensive ADI-2 PRO FS just to be able to do this.

Unless there's something I'm missing, it seems the above configurations 1 and 2 would be better than getting the ADI-2 PRO FS just to be able to use its volume control for the active speakers instead of the genelec volume control knob?

6 (edited by ramses 2021-01-24 22:27:12)

> Where did you find out that the current ADI-2 Pro FS comes with extended IR remote?

On the webserver .. and the name of the product is: "ADI-2 Pro FS R BE"

"ADI-2 Pro FS" (without "R BE") is not being built anymore, therefore you do not see it anymore on the official RME product pages.

The newer ADI-2 Pro FS R BE has
- the new remote
- the newer AKM chip with additional DA-filter and a little bit higher SNR ..

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Remote: See front page of manual V3.2: “Extended Remote”.

If I got you right you already have the ADI-2 DAC.
So just try if your proposed setup works.

The ADI-2 Pro can use all it’s DSP functions on it’s digital outputs too.