Topic: Bluesound node2i<->RME ADI 2 DAC FS<->Power Amp

Hello
I want use the RME ADI 2 DAC FS in a hifi system.
My source is a Bluesound node 2i. My speakers are Jean Marie Reynaud Folia jubile (6 ohms, 120W max)
Living in an old apartment, listening will be done mainly at moderate volume.
Now, I'm looking for a power amp at € 800 max.

Has anyone tested the Bluesound node 2i <-> RME ADI 2 DAC FS association?
For the power amp I 'm considering a Nuprime STA-9 or an ATOLL AM100. Has anyone tested these associations?

Do you have any suggestions that would suit both JMR Folia and RME ADI DAC?

Regards,

2 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-25 00:44:11)

Re: Bluesound node2i<->RME ADI 2 DAC FS<->Power Amp

Despite what you can read in the net:

• There is no “synergy” between sources, DAC’s, speakers and amps, to make them “fit”, soundwise.
It’s all imagination.

• Same applies to power amps, Quality amps all sound extremely similar.
If you could compare with immediate switching and exactly the same level you would have a hard time to hear any difference.
Only exception: tube amps if driven hard.

Higher power that is not used does NOT give more “control, bass, ... whatever”.

• Get a power amp with continuous input level control, it helps to match the levels between ADI-2 and the amp.

• Look for the usual suspects: Yamaha, NAD, Denon, Kenwood, Luxman, Technics ...

Hi @KaiS

What do you mean with "power amp with continuous input level control". Have you any amp example with this caracteristic?

Thanks a lot. Regards

4 (edited by Curt962 2021-01-25 21:07:45)

@fafa..

Kais is referring to an Amplifier with Input Level controls. Ie:  Knobs that increase/decrease the Amplifier's sensitivity.  This can really help us!

But...I SO wanted to hear more about component "A" forming a bond with component "B" in issuing forth a Mellifluous flow of Harmonic Energies, and presenting a most Salubrious depiction of Musical Imagery, thus bringing forth a level of Audio Emotionality never before experienced.  smile smile

I couldn't resist...  wink    I've been subjected to far too much Audio BS-ery over my Years...

Hi-Fi nonsense.  Let's go with KaiS's suggestions.   That will work!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-25 23:28:09)

fafa44 wrote:

Hi @KaiS

What do you mean with "power amp with continuous input level control". Have you any amp example with this caracteristic?

Thanks a lot. Regards

A knob or two to adjust the volume.

You will need it for this:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.ph … 21#p161721

Hi,
Volume adjustment button and 4-level hardware output level control of the ADI 2 DAC is not enough  (ADI 2 will be my external DAC and my preamp) ?
This kind of hifi power amp with input level control in my budget is not easy to find...

F.Y.I,  I choose RME ADI 2 DAC FS for:
-The loudness function very usefull at low volume (and other tone control functions that have disappeared in Hifi.....)
-4-level hardware output level to get a better volume adjust at low level
-Its l DAC, better than Node 2i DAC

Regards

7 (edited by Curt962 2021-01-26 11:45:45)

Fafa,

We're suggesting an Amplifier with variable input sensitivity as a means of simplifying the task of setting an optimal amp input sensitivity. This allows us to use our ADI-2 in it's ideal volume range.  Sure!  We want to use our ADI-2 DAC to routinely control system volume, but we don't want to be doing our listening at -50 because our amp's input sensitivity is too great.  That's poor gain-staging, and can compromise S/N.

Take a glance at this current thread to help you better understand our motives here:  https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32263

We simply wish for you to extract the BEST from your new RME.

Enjoy!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

8 (edited by KaiS 2021-01-26 13:57:23)

fafa44 wrote:

Hi,
Volume adjustment button and 4-level hardware output level control of the ADI 2 DAC is not enough  (ADI 2 will be my external DAC and my preamp) ?I didn’t know that’s too simple
This kind of hifi power amp with input level control in my budget is not easy to find...

I did not know that a $2 potentiometer and knob costs a fortune extra.
I have yet to find a power amp in my stock that does NOT have it.

Ah- I found one, but the reason might be it doesn’t fit into the design:
The famous Yamaha B6 Pyramid.

You can do without volume control on the power amp, but having it makes things easier.

Specially as you told us that you tend to listening relative quiet.

The volume control can be replaced by external passive attenuators, costing about $40 per pair, see the mentioned thread.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your informations. I will study this in detail.

This seems to confirm the problems that I have already observed with the integrated hi-fi amplifiers:
The digital sources deliver 2Vrms output, the integrated amps have line sensitivities of 100mV to 350mV so this leads to a use of the volume potentiometer between 8 and 9 hours! of volume between 8 and 9 hours!
so, I had already considered RCA attenuators before look at RME ADI and power amp.
I don't understand hifi integrated amp designers!

Could you recommend one or two power amplifiers with adjustable input?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

10 (edited by FreierMitarbeiter 2021-01-28 13:17:31)

Hello,

a happy (new) owner of the ADI-2 DAC here (as a preamp to a NAD C298).

For around 800 €, the NAD C268 comes to mind; got XLR and RCA-inputs and is adjustable betwen 0 and -20dB.
Set to -20dB, my C298 works great in conjunction with the RME as a preamp.

Hi guys,

I'm very new to all this and bought an RME ADI 2 when I was drunk after reading the reviews (sounds like a good choice) so now I'm at the stage of what do I pair it with. I have a NAD M10 but with the amplifiers in the C298 (i can purchase one for £1000) will that be better? also, I have Bluesound Node 2i so could I use that to stream into the RME or just go straight coaxial into it.

Kind regards,

Aaron

12 (edited by xyz824205 2022-10-15 14:25:59)

Hi,
Bluesound node (2021) -> USB -> RME ADI 2 DAC FS -> XLR -> BoXem ARTHUR 4215/E2 works fine !