1 (edited by Scotman1973 2021-02-04 01:02:37)

Topic: EQ Hifiman HE1000v2’s

Hey all, my first post. Brand new owner of adi-2 DAC FS. Still getting used to things. Also new to headphone eq. Has anyone eq,d their Hifiman HE1000v2’s and if so could you share your settings/insights. And with that any source on how to best eq headphones. Thanks in advance.

Re: EQ Hifiman HE1000v2’s

Hello!
Enjoy your new ADI-2 FS, and welcome to the forum!

I don't own the ADI-2 FS nor the phones, but here's a great starting point: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=32201

Also, there are many other forum members, that can assist you further, should you require any more recommendations!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

3 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-04 01:00:24)

Scotman1973 wrote:

...Brand new owner of adi-2 FS. ... Also new to headphone eq. Has anyone eq,d their Hifiman HE1000v2’s and if so could you share your settings/insights. And with that any source on how to best eq headphones.

Guess you mean RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Everybody’s ear shape is different, and so the interaction between headphones and ears is different.

Therefore you have to find out what is annoying or missing in your sound by trying yourself.
There are more factors, like the style of music, how loud you are hearing, and your personal taste.

Play around with different settings, store each to an EQ preset slot, then compare what you like or not.

The HE-1000 V2 is a very high-quality headphone with neutral and consistent sound.

I have the HE-1000 V1 and the only thing I need is a bit of a bass boost:

+4 dB, 100 Hz, Q: 1.0, SHELVING.

The HE-1000 V1 has a significant boost around 5 kHz, but dialing it out kills its character, so I just leave it.
I’m not listening very loud, usually prefer recordings with a natural sound so it’s not overly annoying.

Thanks all for the input so far. I do realize that each of us has our own taste, but it is nice to have some reference points and observations to work with to help me start my "journey". Look forward to more replies.

Scotman1973 wrote:

Thanks all for the input so far. I do realize that each of us has our own taste, but it is nice to have some reference points and observations to work with to help me start my "journey". Look forward to more replies.

Starting point (not more!):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/94h55cwozhyet … 2.pdf?dl=0

KaiS wrote:
Scotman1973 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Definitely a starting point. This all seems like magic to me at present. No idea how these numbers are achieved. But I guess this is part of the journey as well.

Thanks again

7 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-04 12:27:09)

Scotman1973 wrote:
KaiS wrote:

Thank you for sharing. Definitely a starting point. This all seems like magic to me at present. No idea how these numbers are achieved. But I guess this is part of the journey as well.

I have to stress again:

These numbers are achieved without listening!
Just pure measurement on a system that not necessarily represents what your personal ears do make out of the HE-1000 MK2.

Do not follow this slavishly, decide by your own what you like and what you don’t!

I guess I need to get a better understanding of new basics so I can begin to adjust / modify to my own personal taste(s)

Scotman1973 wrote:

I guess I need to get a better understanding of new basics so I can begin to adjust / modify to my own personal taste(s)

I strongly suggest to read the manual while trying things out, along.

If you got lost you always can do a factory reset of the ADI-2.

Step one:
Locate the setting and check which DAC filter sounds best to you smile

10 (edited by Nicked_Wicked 2021-02-14 22:57:34)

KaiS wrote:
Scotman1973 wrote:

I strongly suggest to read the manual while trying things out, along.

If you got lost you always can do a factory reset of the ADI-2.

Step one:
Locate the setting and check which DAC filter sounds best to you smile

Pro tip: use Sharp roll off, NOS if you're feeling adventurous. The Low Dispersion filter is also a very good addition that is IMO superior to SD Slow and SD Sharp. Not that it's audible anyway, but the theoretical benefits are nice. wink

Nicked_Wicked wrote:

The Low Dispersion filter is also a very good addition that is IMO superior to SD Slow and SD Sharp. Not that it's audible anyway, but the theoretical benefits are nice. wink

How do you know LD filter is superior if you don‘t hear a difference?

I do hear the difference between the filters and my preference is different to yours.

And no, I don‘t hear a difference with different cables ... smile