Topic: ADI-2 DAC fs & Active speakers

What is your experience with ADI-2 and actives?
What do you have/auditioned/prefer?
I am a musician (classical singer) but I'm asking from audiophile point of view! smile

Thank you!!

Re: ADI-2 DAC fs & Active speakers

What do you expect? They are completely transparent. If you are looking for sound, look somewhere else.

DomieMic65 wrote:

I am a musician (classical singer) but I'm asking from audiophile point of view! smile

Thank you!!

Hi Domie!

I think a resounding "Yes" would be in order regarding your consideration of Active Monitors to pair with your RME.  They BOTH make sense.  wink

Actives bring a lot to the table, but like any other speaker, user tastes/budget will still play a large role in your choice.  Get out, and audition a few!   Better still to audition them in your own room, if you can arrange this. 

Have Fun, and keep us informed!

Regards,

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

If you're a classical singer, I suggest something from the broad but bewildering portfolio of Genelec speakers. If you want hifi speakers for your living room, then maybe look elsewhere. But if you are using the speakers as a tool to assist with / develop your singing in any way, then take a look at Genelec. Whenever speakers are used in the classical world for performance, they tend to be Genelecs, and so you may already be used to the sound of them. Genelecs can be connected to ADI-2 DAC FS very easily and effectively.

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-02-06 18:11:58)

DomieMic65 wrote:

The speaker (and it’s room placement) is what defines 99.9% of the sound, the DAC/Preamp 0.1% at best.

This is a fact that is largely neglected in the Internet discussions where you could think that a different DAC, Preamp, Cable (what a stupidity!), ... whatsoever would make a night and day difference.
It doesn’t!

The RME ADI-2 DAC (or Pro) is a perfect companion to an active speaker, makes connections short-pathed and gives a very comfortable usability.

Speaker selection is a very personal thing.
Size, price, room placement options, loudness requirements and personal preferences play a factor.

If you are a professional singer a studio monitor could come into consideration to judge your own recordings.
For private/audiophile use these can be a bit on the dry, lifeless side. Monitors are not built to generate artificial fun factor.
If they do they are no studio monitors.

There is no shortcut around listening by yourself, pre-select at the dealers places and then take you preselection home and listen there before buy.

Studio Monitors:
KH /Neumann
Geithain
Genelec (The coax are good stuff)
Tannoy

Speakers that are in between studio on home:
JBL (forget the cheap ones)
TANNOY

True audiophile (in a positive way):
Martin Logan
Quad ELS series

Thnx for your replies guys!

@KaiS yes the coaxial Genelecs are very interesting in deed. I don't know if I will have the opportunity to audition a pair.

Any comments about ATCs?

DomieMic65 wrote:

Any comments about ATCs?

No, I do hesitate to comment on something that I have heard many years ago.

I just remember how impressed I was about the Focal Utopia BE-Series, if you have a chance to audition them ...

8 (edited by Curt962 2021-02-07 18:09:13)

Hi again Domie!

ATC Loudspeakers have a Fine Reputation.

That said, we know nothing about your Listening Environment, and what your "Vision" for a Speaker choice might be.  Of course, we all want the BEST speaker!  Were there to actually be an all-singing, all-dancing "Best" speaker, there would only be ONE Speaker available!  (No point manufacturing the others)

Allow me to caution you against purchasing such a "personal" bit of gear such as a speaker by Committee!

You simply have to listen.   Ask yourself. "Can I live with this for the next 5-10yrs?" 

Regardless of what the Committee says, it's YOUR MONEY.  Choose what suits YOU.  There is no benefit in receiving/buying Group adoration with YOUR Checkbook.

Use your Music Insights to guide the way. We in this Forum would never fault you.

Don't forget to tell us about your Listening Room.  It has the final say!

On your side!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes