1 (edited by Mark_S 2021-03-05 14:57:22)

Topic: ADI-2 Pro FS R digital out w/o PEQ but with volume control?

Hi all,

I am using a ADI-2 Pro FS R in the following setup/use case:
- Main speakers connected via ADI-2 analog out
- Behringer DCX2496 connected to AES digital out
- Subwoofers connected to Behringer DCX

The separate Behringer DCX2496 is used to delay, equalize and x-over the subs. Both subs are currently running parallel to the mains, using optimized settings.

Obviously both ADI-2 analog out and digital out shall be volume regulated, so I switched DIG OUT SOURCE to DSP/DAC.

Question:
Is it possible (or planned to integrate such option via future firmware upgrade) to assign the ADI-2 PEQs to the analog out only, and the ADI-2 volume control to both the analog and digital outputs? This way, the ADI-2 PEQs could be used to equalize the mains and high pass them at least with 12dB/Oct.

If not possible - has anyone an idea how to optimize my use case with the given hardware?

Thanks, Mark

BR Mark
ADI-2 Pro FS R BE / UFX II
Minidsp SHD
Neumann KH120, KH310, KH810 / Audeze LCD-X

Re: ADI-2 Pro FS R digital out w/o PEQ but with volume control?

Kick out the Behringer, use out 3/4 of ADI-2 Pro for the sub.

In no case a sub needs a delay, due to the phase shift / time shift of the low pass filter a sub always lags behind the main speaker anyway.

To integrate a sub a continuous phase control is very helpful.
Most active subs provide this function.

It’s essential for sub integration to use a frequency response measurement tool.

If you have an iDevice, AudioTools from Andrew Smith, FFT part, provides a fully self-content, professional solution for ~$30.
No extra hardware or measurement mic required!
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/audiotools/id325307477

3 (edited by Mark_S 2021-03-05 15:21:45)

Hi Kai,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I am using acoustic measurements and computer optimized filter settings for my subs, based on the free software MSO (multi sub optimizer) which uses the same approach as Harman's proprietary SFM (sound field management). Individual PEQ and delay for each sub are mandatorily required for this approach.

Nevertheless: Can I synchronize ADI-2 volume setting of Main Out 1/2 and Phones Out 3/4 somehow?

Regards, Mark

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD

4 (edited by KaiS 2021-03-05 18:16:45)

Mark_S wrote:

Individual PEQ and delay for each sub are mandatorily required for this approach.

Nevertheless: Can I synchronize ADI-2 volume setting of main 1/2 and phone 3/4 somehow

As mentioned, sub’s delay makes things worse.
It might align the phase for stationary (sinewave) signals, but spreads the pulse response.
Sub comes late, you get a softened bass.

Individual PEQ is provided for 1/2 and 3/4.

Press the “Vol”-button (not the dial) twice to link channel 1/2 and 3/4 volume.
Linked Volume is only active in this screen, unless there is a 1/4’ plug in both headphones outputs, then it’s permanent.
You can use a blind 1/4” plug or adapter as dummy.

Kai,

Valuable information, thank you!

BR Mark
Minidsp SHD