Topic: macpro medio 10 updated with High Sierra and RME babyface disappears.

If this is the wrong site for this topic im sorry.

2 months ago I upgraded my macpro with high sierra.
My computers serialnr is. CK11702XEUG

It made my computer faster but deleted my babyface sound card. Untill now nobody have had the ability to
tell me how to reinstall it. It connects with the onboard soundcard whatever I do. Leaving with me no choice to select it manually.

Ive have tried everything. Mac support tells my to reinstall an older system. But this seems a bad idea.

Logic support tells me to install drivers and firmware. this ive tried but nothing ever happens.

Ive read that I can enter the bios and the change the connection to the onboard soundcard.

Does anyone have the knowledge to help with this.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-07 21:22:49)

Re: macpro medio 10 updated with High Sierra and RME babyface disappears.

It connects with the onboard soundcard whatever I do.
What exactly is going on ?
Does the Fireface USB settings open ?
Totalmix ?
enter the bios and the change the connection to the onboard soundcard.
I have never heard of such thing.
BIOS is something windows computers have.
May be there is a unix command for accessing via termial to disconnect the onboard soundcard, but I can not suggest to do it.
Have you another compuer for doing some tests ?
Connecting the babyface and read the firmware number ?

I would do so :
Uninstall the RME driver and everything from RME.
Reboot the system.
Reinstall latest driver and start up from there as you would have the BF new.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Thanks for answer.

I dont have another computer like this Macpro

no matter what I do I can't access the babyface. Fireface settings doesn't open(only half). I have two versions of totalmix(try to delete them)

I guy in logic forum told me what the newest driver was but the babyface cannot connect to this software update when i I try.

why do I need to know the firmware number. What is firmware for babyface and what is its function.

Any ideas of how and can access my babyface

do I need anything else than I driver and firmware, It seems like there is a wide range off applications for RME, leaving nothing but frustration.

4 (edited by waedi 2021-03-20 10:14:56)

There is something wrong and we can try to find it.
Asking for the firmware version is routine question, and helps. The firmware is somehow the operating system inside the interface device, managing the micpre and converters functions.
Same for driver version.
Let's get more into details.
The settings window opens half, does it stay there or is it closing quick ?
You have two Totalmix ?
They both don't open ?
Can you see the Totalmix version number in the Finder and what are does ?
Did you ever installed another driver for another RME-interface ? To find out where the second Totalmix could come from.
What is going on in the OSX system preferences audio settup window ?
Is the Babyface showing up there ?
Sorry for this lots of questions, there is no standard solution or trick for that problem AFAIK.
The USB settings window should open fully and the Totalmix as well.

okay thank you for god information.

this Is what i did, because i want to plug in my guitar again.

i Removed everything from RME and  Totalmix. And as mentioned none of them opened correctly, so one of my theories was that they maybe conflicted. And yes Ive installed lot of drivers hoping that babyface had the brains to find the right one (smiling).

how do I find firmware information. where is the gate to access my babyface. ??

What is going on in the OSX system preferences audio settup window ?

nothing. Sounds out --- port to headphones normally ive had babyface standing as an option. when i plug in headphones or speakers to soundcard it just plays onboard soundcard.. As if onboard is hardwired to system.. how do i break this algoritme.

I would now unistall all drivers, unistall everything from RME, complete delete every file.
Then download latest driver suitable for this computer and instal this.
reboot computer and the plug in the interface.

ive removed everything . But how can i be sure everything is removed

ive searched for everything called totalmix, RME and with fireface under  "this mac" and deleted it.

Ive had big trouble finding answer to what driver, firmware is suitable. So I dont know- What information should I use to find this answer. I have macpro medio 10 with high sierra, and a babyface

8 (edited by waedi 2021-03-21 14:21:19)

Very good. This is exactly the way I would delete the old driver.

Now you can install the new one.
I would do a reboot before.
This is the driver I would use :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_320.zip

And this one is the firmware flash tool :
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_usb_mac.zip

thank you..

this is status

I installed the driver and the flash tool.

I read and maybe understand that I have to start flash to while my babyface is running. This I do.

I get this message current revision 176, new revision 225. I hit update nothing happens , I wait nothing happens. I unplug and nothing happens..

But im glad that the tool can see my babyface. This is very god progress

So does playback and record work? Is the Settings dialog and TM FX opening? Is the BF shown as audio device including a valid serial number?

> macpro medio 10

Decrypting on: MacBook Pro Mid 2010?

Firmware 176 is from 2010! Read the details about all changes to v225 in the readme of the Flash Tool archive, you missed a lot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

no its not visible as a unit yet.. as it used to be under preferences. And totalmix is not opening.

But when I open flash tool I have a possibility to update my soundcard (BF), and I can se the serial number 23180189.

Its says programming status : Not updated

when I try to update- nothing happens

what can I Do.  maybe I didnt install driver properly ??

MC wrote:

So does playback and record work? Is the Settings dialog and TM FX opening? Is the BF shown as audio device including a valid serial number?       The settings dialog is not opening, but im able to open totalmix. Yet the playback and record is not working.

> macpro medio 10

Decrypting on: MacBook Pro Mid 2010?

Firmware 176 is from 2010! Read the details about all changes to v225 in the readme of the Flash Tool archive, you missed a lot.

When I open the flash tool it wont update.

In the systems preferences I still not can locate the Babyface as an audiodevice

13 (edited by waedi 2021-03-28 11:59:13)

...what can I Do.  maybe I didnt install driver properly ??
No, for running the flash update tool no driver installation is needed.
Only a computer with internet connection.
Is your computer online ?
I am not 100% sure if online is need for the flashing but I recommend to have this computer online.
I always did like this and it worked fine on older computers.
The M1 BigSur had the same problem. Babyface was not showing up, Firmware was too old and the flashtool was not yet prepared for BigSur. I had to use the old Macbook.
I don't see any other solution for you as to go to someone else for using his computer for 2 minutes.
Get the Flashtool on a USB stick and look for a friend with computer.
You can even use a dating profile. Looking for old woman with computer, send photo of computer.

waedi wrote:

I am not 100% sure if online is need for the flashing but I recommend to have this computer online.

Side note: the internet connection is only needed to download the ZIP archive. This ZIP archive contains an executable file and two READMEs. This executable file is quite large because it contains both, the flash tool and the new firmware. Internet is not required for the flashing process.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

waedi wrote:

...what can I Do.  maybe I didnt install driver properly ??
No, for running the flash update tool no driver installation is needed.
I always did like this and it worked fine on older computers.
The M1 BigSur had the same problem. Babyface was not showing up, Firmware was too old and the flashtool was not yet prepared for BigSur. I had to use the old Macbook.
I don't see any other solution for you as to go to someone else for using his computer for 2 minutes.
Get the Flashtool on a USB stick and look for a friend with computer.
You can even use a dating profile. Looking for old woman with computer, send photo of computer.

Hello. I now did install the firmware via an older microsoft computer. I dont know if this is a fault, but  I can see that the firmware now is 225 and the driver 3.20 . as required to run this device. When I go to systempreferences audio I can still not see the babyface, I still have no button in security and privacy that bloks installation. Totalmix is still not working probably. No connection at all. What can I do, is the best to find a new device or what can i do.

You have tried different USB ports of the computer ?
In system preferences / Energy Savers is there some stuff ?
Better disabling all things there.

this is crazy. ON my microsoft computer everything is working. It opens totalmix. 1.67 when I plug it in. all preferences is selectebel. I dont get this when I open my mac totalmix I dont get the mixer like the mic computer. The version is 1.72. im totally lost in this.. I just want to play on my garageband

18 (edited by waedi 2021-04-11 18:18:01)

The Babyface is fine, the problem is software and OS, I think.
Have you tried with the driver 2.22 ?
It is an older one, but who knows ?
https://rme-audio.de/downloads/driver_usb_mac_222.zip
Give it a try

MrX wrote:

this is crazy. ON my microsoft computer everything is working. It opens totalmix. 1.67 when I plug it in. all preferences is selectebel. I dont get this when I open my mac totalmix I dont get the mixer like the mic computer. The version is 1.72. im totally lost in this.. I just want to play on my garageband

Now that you verified that the BF is working it's down to the OS and its security problems. Read this:

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Boot into macOS Recovery mode. To do so turn on the computer and immediately press and hold the keys Command (⌘) and R. Release the keys when you see an Apple logo, spinning globe, or other startup screen. Enter your password if requested to do so. Startup is complete when you see the utilities window.

- Open Terminal from the Utilities menu in the menu bar.

- Run the command: /usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 67AK2U2X7M

- Reboot the computer

It should not be necessary, but in case the driver is still not loaded check that everything worked as expected by using this command in the Terminal (Recovery mode not required):

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent list

very nice but will i ruin my computer. this is exactly the problem that babyface is never shown

Why should we put this up when it ruins your computer? Just follow the description carefully step by step. Helped several customers already.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

okay nice I try.. thank you very much