Topic: Input mix send to usb?

My goal is to use ADC at the end of an analog signal chain to record high quality audio along with video recording on an ios device. I purchased the ADI 2 pro because of its stereo mode, which routes signal to 2 usb channels. ios does not play nice when it detects more than 2 channels of usb audio. The ADI 2 pro works very well in this sense. However, I have 2 separate sound sources and I want to control the mix of the recorded sound rather than hard panning R/L which is the default behavior. I know that there are width controls for the headphone and main outputs, but is it possible to control the mix that gets routed through the usb stereo signal? I am aware that totalmix is not supported and that this is not a recording interface. However I am using it as such because there is a gap in the market for adc with 2 channel usb out. I know the Fireface UCX has a "stereo mode" configurable in the ios app but it does not seem to work (other apps still detect multi channel) and I don't know how the implementation of the UCX's stereo mode differs from the ADI 2 Pro's stereo mode.

Re: Input mix send to usb?

waedi wrote:

What do you mean with stereo-mode ?
stereo is stereo, there are no different modes.

In the ADI 2 Pro manual look at pages 37ff (17.4 USB). It outlines stereo vs multichannel mode. In "Class Compliant Stereo mode", it is recognized by a computer as a 2-channel device. In "Class Compliant Multi-channel mode" it is recognized by a computer as an 8-channel device.

The Fireface UCX also has a "Stereo mode" that is not in the documentation. To access it, open the ios totalmix app, go to Settings > RME Interface settings > Output Channel count req. It will show two options: "Stereo", "Multichannel".

After reading your posting several times it’s still unclear what you want to do.

What exact signal goes where - into the iOS device – and out of it.

Which app is used for recording.

4 (edited by therealmadonna 2021-03-19 00:50:09)

inputs
===

Mic 1 (sax)    -> preamp -> eq -> comp -> adi2pro input 1
Mic 2 (piano) -> preamp -> eq -> comp -> adi2pro input 2

outputs
===
adi2pro usb port -> iphone (filmic pro camera app)

However my question is very simple. Can you control the mix of the 2 channel output that is sent from the adi2pro to my phone? I have two instruments and hard panning is not very pleasant to hear. I want to narrow the stereo width of inputs 1 and 2 as you would on a mixing console. adi2pro allows you to narrow the width of the headphone and main output, but not the inputs. It seems like the only way to do that is by routing the signal through an additional device (for example a mixer in an aes ebu loop). I can also edit the sound in post production. But the appeal of this device is the apparent simplicity of being able to function consistently with ios video recording applications.

5 (edited by KaiS 2021-03-19 01:20:44)

I just tried with filmic pro / ADI-2 Pro:

No way except using an analog external mixer for the mic’s if you want to narrow the stereo spread on the recording.
A mixer would give you the option to record the piano in stereo with 2 mics and place the sax more centered.

For monitoring during recording the Output’s “Width” parameter does the job.
What stands against using it?

KaiS wrote:

For monitoring during recording the Output’s “Width” parameter does the job.
What stands against using it?

Against using a monitoring feature? I guess the fact that it's not what I'm recording is the only thing I have against it.

Thanks for running the test with filmic pro. It's nicely compatible, which is why I got it, the lack of any routing options is not great. I understand that the sample rate wouldn't be able to go as high with more routing features, but the fact that there is M/S processing implies that the hardware is at least capable of doing some routing.