Topic: Babyface Pro, TC Electronic BMC-2 and beyerdynamic dt770 250ohms.

Hi Guys.

10+ years DnB music producer here, and I'm in the market for a new soundcard since my old saffire Pro14 no longer works with windows 10 because of the IEEE not being supported by windows anymore.

I'm really interested in the Babyface pro, but have a few questions.

Will the babyface not perform optimally with my 250ohm DT 770s? I hear people say I may need a headphone amp due to impedance. If it's not enough then will my BMC-2 DAC pair well with the babyface? or should I sell it as it won't be needed? Or would selling the DT 770s be better? If The DT 770s wont be loud enough and the BMC-2 isnt a great pair with the Babyface what would you suggest as replacements for headphones?

Am I just overthinking things?

I have no need for recording instruments or vocals, My only interest in getting a new soundcard is to improve the clarity and detail in audio out of my speakers/ headphones so that I can make better mixing decisions and better decisions when im designing synth sounds. Im 100% ITB, and to put it simply all I want is to get the best combination of gear that works well together so that if my mixdowns and sound design still sucks I only have myself to blame, not any of the components in my setup.

2 (edited by waedi 2021-03-22 04:03:52)

Re: Babyface Pro, TC Electronic BMC-2 and beyerdynamic dt770 250ohms.

There is no measure or scale for deaf.
I claim that the headphone is working well on the Babyface.
The BMC-2 has adat input where you can connect the adat output of the Babyface for having the perfect transfer of digital signal.
No need to sell something in advance.
If you don't like the Babyface you simply can send it back.
After some short time when the workflow over the Babyface is established in your studio you will see witch gear is leftover for market.
If you find a used Babyface on the market for a good price, take it !
It's very reliable.
You will love it, I think.

M1-Sonoma, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

waedi wrote:

There is no measure or scale for deaf.
I claim that the headphone is working well on the Babyface.
The BMC-2 has adat input where you can connect the adat output of the Babyface for having the perfect transfer of digital signal.
No need to sell something in advance.
If you don't like the Babyface you simply can send it back.
After some short time when the workflow over the Babyface is established in your studio you will see witch gear is leftover for market.
If you find a used Babyface on the market for a good price, take it !
It's very reliable.
You will love it, I think.

Thank you for the reply.

its nice to know they will work together. Apparently, the impedance of the BMC-2 is 80 ohms which may or may not be an issue with regard to my 250 ohm DT 770s. I think ill watch the market and see if one pops up. im also looking at the RME FIREFACE UFX2. But again, my initial budget was around £300. it seems my budget keeps climbing lol

BF Pro no problem for 250 cans dude don’t worry. Original BF is a bit lacking, so I’m using the ADI-2 for my 250ohms’

torbenscharling wrote:

BF Pro no problem for 250 cans dude don’t worry. Original BF is a bit lacking, so I’m using the ADI-2 for my 250ohms’

I assume you mean the babyface, not the babyface pro? Also, When you say "was a bit lacking", could you say what was lacking, or was it just something was off?

thanks

i have the same issue with my babyface pro + dt770 pro 250 ohm. it is ok to listen to the  music in windows with foobar and all volumes at max. but when it comes to ableton i need some gain staging and this requires me to make my phones louder, but i can't, since it's already at max. in my tracks i start with -10 db to have some space before mixing. i have compared it to sennheiser hd25 like dj model, but it has so much more volume pressure at the same levels compared to dt770. it is possible to make it louder without any phone amps? or my phones are broken? or ears?)

thanks

Got a Beyer 250Ω DT1990 Pro headphone driven by a Babyface Pro FS. No problems at all, very nice sound, plenty loud if needed. It even drives a 300Ω Sennheiser 580.

Don't worry, the BFP does the job well and it sounds really good, espc. in the bass!

psysound wrote:

i have the same issue with my babyface pro + dt770 pro 250 ohm. it is ok to listen to the  music in windows with foobar and all volumes at max. but when it comes to ableton i need some gain staging and this requires me to make my phones louder, but i can't, since it's already at max. in my tracks i start with -10 db to have some space before mixing. i have compared it to sennheiser hd25 like dj model, but it has so much more volume pressure at the same levels compared to dt770. it is possible to make it louder without any phone amps? or my phones are broken? or ears?)

thanks

What you need is not more 'volume' but more digital gain to reach the same volume although your input signal is weak. If raising the Phones output fader to +6 isn't enough you can use the EQ to add a lot more gain. Use band 3 (Treble), set it to 20 Hz. Now raise the gain. You will see it lifts up the whole range except for some inaudible sub-bass. This way you get up to 20 dB more what you call 'volume'. The level meters will tell you when you hit the max.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The bfp fs has a reasonable output for headphones. It’s not as good as a a dedicated headphone amp though. I use this interface with dt770s as well as dt1770s and akg q701. Both beyer are driven well but the akgs I have to push everything to get a decent level.

Babyface Pro Fs, Behringer ADA8200, win 10/11 PCs, Cubase/Wavelab, Adam A7X monitors.

I have the Babyface Pro not the Babyface Pro FS,

(Mind you I bought the Pro in October 2019 but my dumbass did not catch the news on the FS Version coming...
What do you all think of upgrading?)

and I am planning on buying the Beyerdynamic dt1770 running 250 Ohm.
Now what do I need to do if the headphones will be too silent? I am using the DT 770 Pro with 80 Ohm and I am guessing there will be a significant difference in volume.

Do I need to get a Headphone Amp? And if so how is the connection done? Do I connect the headphones to the headphone amp and than connect it to my RME Baby Face Pro? What kind of cables are used for that?