Topic: Quality of preamp/volume control section

Hi all.

As I zero in on a replacement for my preamp that served me well for years, i'm looking to connect the ADI-2 DAC right to my power amp via XLR.

The RME has many competitors especially in the myraid of units coming out of China.  Great specs for sure, but looking at their PCB board designs, they seem quite sparse.

I would love to hear how the ADI-2 DAC fares in this regard when it comes to the volume attenuation from the DAC.  I would assume a similar approach to the others with the DAC chip itself doing most of the reduction, but past that, what extra does the ADI-2 have?  I know it optimizes the S/N through the range.  Other perks?

I just want to ensure a quality, safe output past the DAC basically.  My amp is a beast and I would like to know nothing wrong is coming out!

Perhaps I am just wary of these designs out of China that skimp.

TY!

Kev.

Re: Quality of preamp/volume control section

If you want a quality product with quality support take the RME. It is excellent and you get a headphone amp as well.
I have some of the SMSL products as well. I would not complain about their audio performance. Spec-wise they are quite fine just below the RME iirc and ok if you are on a tight budget (you can check on www.audiosciencereview.com for some comparisons).
Build quality of the chinese products leaves something to be desired. I had a headphone amp with a terrible volume control. I ended up modifying it myself eventually. RME volume control is entirely digital and just works great.
With the chinese products it is quite often not worth the effort to send it back to china if you need something fixed. If you can fix it yourself, it is fine. With RME you won't have to worry at all.

TDD99CA wrote:

Hi all.

As I zero in on a replacement for my preamp that served me well for years, i'm looking to connect the ADI-2 DAC right to my power amp via XLR.

The RME has many competitors especially in the myraid of units coming out of China.  Great specs for sure, but looking at their PCB board designs, they seem quite sparse.

I would love to hear how the ADI-2 DAC fares in this regard when it comes to the volume attenuation from the DAC.  I would assume a similar approach to the others with the DAC chip itself doing most of the reduction, but past that, what extra does the ADI-2 have?  I know it optimizes the S/N through the range.  Other perks?

I just want to ensure a quality, safe output past the DAC basically.  My amp is a beast and I would like to know nothing wrong is coming out!

Perhaps I am just wary of these designs out of China that skimp.

TY!

Kev.

You can check the manual on page 63: a whole section is about this specific subject...

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

I keep coming back to the ADI-2 regardless of reading up on the spec-based offerings from overseas.  I love to configure and the more options, the better. IMHO.  Adding actual service and updates is a bonus.

I'll likely be ordering my unit shortly and adding my $0.02 on what new features I would like to see...

TY!

Kev.

Hi @TDD99CA I have been using my ADI-2 as a DAC Pre amp direct into my Naim NAP300 DR power amp for several months now, it displaced a Naim SuperUniti as a DAC/Pre amp and performs very well to my ears.
I like the functions offered by the ADI-2 especially the parametric EQ which helps with the bass hump sound characteristics of my room. I also have the loudness button configured to tweak the sound for low level listening to my preference. Great little box, and if I do ever buy a new Naim front end the ADI-2 will be put into service in another system.