Re: Feature requests for ADI-3 DAC

Happy_amateur wrote:

Kais: Those are all nice, but u still need(or should have) the screwholes. Those are lacking in ADI-2 DAC. So any other solution would be a half measure. The shelf from the top image could work if u unscrew the feet and use those screwholes. Besides im building a 9.5 rack. Im working it out. Anyway this thread is about future models.

ADI-2 DAC is low priced, so RME designed it without rackmount option. They probably saved some, but I think they should include it. Or I should have bought the PRO instead big_smile

Same situation for the ADI-2 Pro R BE ...

I think the last Pro with Rack mount holes was the blue version of it, ADI-2 Pro FS

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

If possible i would like the spectrum analyzer bands in ADI-2 DAC/PRO to change according to the given samplerate. At least up to 96 khz. ie work up to 40 khz. Maybe thinner staple would work. Like it Changes in DIGICHECK.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

53 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-08 21:59:35)

Happy_amateur wrote:

If possible i would like the spectrum analyzer bands in ADI-2 DAC/PRO to change according to the given samplerate. At least up to 96 khz. ie work up to 40 khz. Maybe thinner staple would work. Like it Changes in DIGICHECK.

+1 from me if one could see the non-content of the majority of recordings above 20 kHz big_smile

Unfortunately Analyzer band separation is 14 dB only, so it doesn‘t work this way.
There would be ultrasonic band’s meter activity even with no content there.

Due to the limitations of hardware processing power I don’t think that will happen.
Also please don’t rely on the spectrum too much. Band pass filter has its limitations.
I was fooled a few time already (I.e. thinking there was signal in audible range based on the spectrum but actually there is not. )

55 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-27 15:03:15)

ning wrote:

... please don’t rely on the spectrum too much. Band pass filter has its limitations.
I was fooled a few time already (I.e. thinking there was signal in audible range based on the spectrum but actually there is not. )

That‘s the price to pay for fast reaction in visual synchronization with the audio.
It’s a law of physics, steeper filters have greater delay.
FFT could give much higher resolution, but significantly lags behind.

Anyway, the Analyzer is not meant to be a measurement tool, but a visual aid to set up the parametric equalizer.

@MC:
There is a trick to triple the steepness of the filters with just about double the amount of calculation power.
One would sum up 3 filters per visual band that are 3 times steeper.
Now the trick: each filter in the middle between nominal bands is used for both adjacent visual bands.
E.g. ca.:
For 800 Hz sum 710 + 800 + 894
For 1,000 Hz sum 894 + 1000 + 1118
For 1250 Hz sum 1118 + 1250 + 1414 Hz
The bold bands are only calculated once.
The summing has a gain factor per band to achieve an almost flat top.

I agree.

I think a worthy upgrade for the home use/HiFi version of ADI DAC 2 would be 12v trigger and HT bypass. This is the only reason I believe I will choose Benchmark over RME ADI-2... do you have any "solid" workaround for this?

Huh, MQA?

NO!!!

Pacifist, dumb, not stupid
Listen music out from a box which sounds
Reading words on paper/ screen

59 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-27 15:11:58)

mihai wrote:

I think a worthy upgrade for the home use/HiFi version of ADI DAC 2 would be 12v trigger and HT bypass. This is the only reason I believe I will choose Benchmark over RME ADI-2... do you have any "solid" workaround for this?

What is an “HT bypass”?

EDIT: found the Home Theater bypass.
The simple workaround would be an external hardwire switchbox.
These are available in numerous versions for little money.

I do use a dbx DAV 600, which, of course, is complete overkill for your simple demand smile

60 (edited by mark2748 2021-12-28 00:06:17)

Auto-wakeup from Standby
The latest ADI-2 DAC FS / Pro firmware provides an auto-standby feature after prescribed lapsed time of inactivity (currently fixed at 30minutes, but likely to be more flexible in the future).

Now we need the complement:  Option to wake up DAC from standby when audio input is received on any channel (USB, SPDIF).  Hopefully, implemented without adding significant power draw in standby.

For example, I have this feature on powered desktop speakers, as well as a subwoofer.  It is a true pleasure not to think about putting them into standby or waking them up when audio arrives.

PS:  It would be wonderful if this could be done in firmware on current products, but I realize that may not be possible due to hardware limitations.

When the unit enters standby it is in standby. Nothing is working anymore except the standby button and the IR receiver, waking the unit on press of a button. To analyze input signals the whole FPGA and with it power supplies and further I/O stages must stay active - that is not 'standby' anymore, it is fully on then.

Such a 'wake up' functionality needs additional hardware that does the analysis outside the FPGA. And that one doesn't exist here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

62 (edited by KaiS 2021-12-28 10:48:36)

mark2748 wrote:

Auto-wakeup from Standby...Now we need the complement:  Option to wake up DAC from standby when audio input is received on any channel (USB, SPDIF)...

As workaround:

You can use the existing “Wake Up On Power”.

Take the mains voltage from another device with switched outlets, or from a master/slave or remote controlled switched powerstrip.

KaiS wrote:
mark2748 wrote:

Auto-wakeup from Standby...Now we need the complement:  Option to wake up DAC from standby when audio input is received on any channel (USB, SPDIF)...

As workaround:

You can use the existing “Wake Up On Power”.

Take the mains voltage from another device with switched outlets, or from a master/slave or remote controlled switched powerstrip.

There are affordable wi-fi power sockets nowadays. I use a few from TPLink for the AV equipment and aquarium. Apparently the ADI-2 doesn't mind being powered off in such a "brutal" way... The nice thing is, I can power on and off from a widget on my smartphone or use Tasker to automate stuff. It comes very handy when I need to power on/off from another floor, for example.

64 (edited by mark2748 2021-12-29 01:37:56)

MC wrote:

Such a 'wake up' functionality needs additional hardware that does the analysis outside the FPGA. And that one doesn't exist here.

Thanks for the response.

Another aspect to consider:  The digital audio interfaces need to stay alive, to some extent, so that external software recognizes them and can actually send the wake-up signals.  That does not happen now:  when the DAC (connected by USB) is in standby, the windows speaker icon on my PC appears "crossed out" and its tooltip says "No audio device is installed".  Trying to play a track with JRiver MC (Audio Device:  ASIO MADIface USB) results in a "Playback Problem" popup that halts the program until the popup is dismissed (at least it's graceful, no crashes).

Re proposed workarounds:  They also require pushing a button, so I don't see them as providing a real advantage over the available DAC power buttons for my main use case, sitting at the desktop.  Also, I remain skeptical re safety of turning AC sockets or whole power strips on and off for audio gear.

So mostly food for thought here about ADI-3.

65 (edited by Data 2021-12-31 10:24:31)

Not sure what that would mean in terms of cost / effort. But in a follow-up product, RME could consider not to use an off the shelf DAC chip, but to develop their own implementation in an FPGA. This would make the actual DA conversion upgradeable, give them the ability to optimize etc. PS Audio do this with their top of the line DACs, albeit on another price level.

UCX II, Quadmic II, ADI-2 DAC FS
Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thedilettantepianist

66 (edited by ramses 2021-12-31 13:00:11)

Data wrote:

Not sure what that would mean in terms of cost / effort. But in a follow-up product, RME could consider not to use an off the shelf DAC chip, but to develop their own implementation in an FPGA. This would make the actual DA conversion upgradeable, give them the ability to optimize etc. PS Audio do this with their top of the line DACs, albeit on another price level.

Sounds fancy at first. But in some very special areas, it's better to use finished products from companies that have specialized in them for many years. This saves costs and development time, and the price advantages can then be passed on to the customer as well.

Discussions on Audioscience Review tend to go in the direction that nowadays all DAC chips manage a clean/transparent  D/A conversion, but above all the analog circuits around it have to be implemented cleanly, etc.

Unique selling points of RME products result from many years of know-how from the studio area and own technologies that have written success stories and the product fully benefits from that. Not to forget, RME wants to produce excellent products at a fair and reasonable price and with a long product life-cycle / support.
What makes this DAC so special and unique is the design/bult quality, the density and combination of features plus innovative features like e.g. dynamic loudness, auto reflevel and much more, but IMHO less the type of DAC chip alone.

So sorry if I disagree here, its maybe better that RME spends the time to make the products even smarter than burning hours in "re-inventing the wheel" in terms of DAC chip development by using FPGA.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

67 (edited by anttipi 2021-12-31 12:21:08)

mark2748 wrote:

Also, I remain skeptical re safety of turning AC sockets or whole power strips on and off for audio gear.

What is potentially unsafe about it? I can only think of unwanted pops from loudspeakers but I never get any of that even though I switch off the DAC and integrated amp simultaneously via a wifi-controlled socket.

My humble request is yellow spectrum analyzer. add blue to that and we have the whole rainbow. Best would be to have rgb sliders or numerical input, and an offset value for DSD.

With my ageing eyeballs i really appreciate the new balance screen. This function should be extended to B/T.EQ.LD off(like some other guy mentioned) Input select, mute, B/T +- etc. ie all the remote functions.

ADI-2 DAC, ADI-2 PRO, DigifaceUSB, UCXII, ARC, HEGEL.h80, KEF.ls50, HD650, ie400pro _,.\''/.,_

69 (edited by mark2748 2022-01-02 03:13:11)

anttipi wrote:
mark2748 wrote:

Also, I remain skeptical re safety of turning AC sockets or whole power strips on and off for audio gear.

What is potentially unsafe about it? I can only think of unwanted pops from loudspeakers but I never get any of that even though I switch off the DAC and integrated amp simultaneously via a wifi-controlled socket.

It's the lifetime of the low voltage electronic circuitry components with regard to transient switching spikes that concerns me, which is not necessarily correlated to what makes it through your speakers.  What I would need to see is data from a high bandwidth digital oscilloscope that is capable of recording fast AC power switching transients in my own working environment. Of course a lot of power strips claim to incorporate surge suppression, and well-designed electronics may include their own internal suppression components, but real data is hard to find, especially for normal switching.

Lacking proper equipment to do measurements at home, I prefer to stay on the cautious side of this debatable issue.  Just my point of view.  Your setup may work for a long time.

mark2748 wrote:

but real data is hard to find, especially for normal switching.

Exactly. Some brief discussion here: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34310, but it's also not more than that i.e. no data. Personally I have yet to encounter a device which has problems because of being turned on/off together with others via a power strip, but that is purely anecdotal (it's a substantial amount of data though: at work we have about 20 setups filled with measurement/dsp equipment and at least 3 PCs, which get switched on/off all at once, no related issues that we know off in 15 years though it's hard to tell if there's a causal relationship between e.g. a harddisk or PSU dying and everything being on a strip; those problems also occur elsewhere)

71 (edited by Curt962 2022-01-02 16:28:35)

Hmmm.. Perhaps in a HiFi environment, it can matter WHAT we're turning off/on, and in the order we do so that can be of significance.

From my old Hifi days, one learned quickly NOT to turn on/off an old Tube Preamp with a Live amplifier sitting downstream, and eager to kill some Woofers with the Transient you just sent it! 

https://i.ibb.co/bvxnH2D/20211117-122215.jpg

Not exactly a $10 Power Strip,  but my old Belkin PF-60 performs a very similar task as a Power Strip, but allows for sequenced turn on/off of your gear.  ie: Source Components ON first, and OFF last.  In addition, it provides AC Mains filtration, and hi/lo limit on AC input voltage.  Any deviation, and the device shuts everything down before the electric grid can do harm. In an instance where the Mains Voltage became unstable (brownouts, etc) the device immediately disconnects from the Grid, and requires ME to manually turn it back on, AFTER the mayhem has passed. 

(Don't bother reading the marketing trash Belkin talks about. wink

All that said...

Emperical evidence on my part (in some horrible, third world commuter flats) says this device actually works well!

Now it's safe at home on a Reference-Grade Power Grid, and gives me ONE BUTTON ease.    On/Off.  No Data Collection, Failure Analysis, or associated Science Project ever required.

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

gcohen wrote:

While the ADI-2 DAC is a best of breed product, I’m hoping the ADI-3 will include MQA, Airplay and Bluetooth along with a lower noise floor.

MQA is awful. so is Bluetooth which goes through codecs. I want to see DSD 512.

IMHO DSD is overrated and the quality of the content is not DSD-Isn't it to felt 95% converted from PCM?

For the record, I decided to get the Benchmark DAC due the lack of a 12v trigger on ADI-2 FS. The DSP features of ADI are nice but the convenience is nice/important too for HF usage especially if you are planning to "share" your system with other households. Having to power-up/down the amplifier manually feels like using a dac/preamp without a remote...If a DAC is designed to be connected directly to the amplifier why does it lack  a 12v trigger? Are you supposed to manually turn the amps on/off manually? I don't find this experience reasonable.

Sorry for the rant.

I researched the workarounds for this issue (12v trigger) and it seems you either need multiple remotes or some other less than reliable solutions.

mihai wrote:

If a DAC is designed to be connected directly to the amplifier why does it lack  a 12v trigger? Are you supposed to manually turn the amps on/off?

99.9% of amps do NOT have a trigger input. At least the serious ones don't have these type of gimmicks, normally only seen on AV gear.

And really, if manually turning audio equipment on/off gives you any headaches then you might want to rethink what you expect from your hobby.

I want the next ADI pro/dac to keep its nice price/performance ratio. So I dont need 12v triggers, mqa, dolby, bluetooth or other gadgetry. More dsp power could be nice to support better and more functions through firmware. 10 band peq for instance could be possible. Better communication with computer through a Totalmix like interface. More filters. ie the core ideas of the original ADI pro/dac.
On the hardware side it could make sense to have dedicated x-over functions for subwoofers. A Pro version with 4 channel xlr out for a 2.2 system.
We dont need products we cant afford or wouldnt care to afford. RME´s ADI-2 range isnt audiophile products in any traditional sense, its more for audio enthusiasts. Feet to the ground, dont succumb to to audiophiliac mind virus.

77 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 10:14:14)

Happy_amateur wrote:

I want the next ADI pro/dac to keep its nice price/performance ratio. So I dont need 12v triggers, mqa, dolby, bluetooth or other gadgetry. More dsp power could be nice to support better and more functions through firmware. 10 band peq for instance could be possible. Better communication with computer through a Totalmix like interface. More filters. ie the core ideas of the original ADI pro/dac.
On the hardware side it could make sense to have dedicated x-over functions for subwoofers. A Pro version with 4 channel xlr out for a 2.2 system.
We dont need products we cant afford or wouldnt care to afford. RME´s ADI-2 range isnt audiophile products in any traditional sense, its more for audio enthusiasts. Feet to the ground, dont succumb to to audiophiliac mind virus.

100% agree.

2nd to subwoofer out, but a single RCA out or Stereo?

Stereo subs ofcourse! big_smile

79 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 10:29:50)

Happy_amateur wrote:

Stereo subs of course! big_smile

Better is stereo, best if can connect mono subwoofer by connect it to one of the assigned RCA out... smile

d.kisel7 wrote:

Also possibly start using usb-4 since it will be widely used from 2022 and will be interchangeable with thunderbolt both Windows and Mac and be able to carry enough power for a DAC and headphone amp even without AC adapter connected (unless it will negatively affect noise performance)

Interesting.. Ya, to be fair that is a very good point: no required additional PSU is a big deal guys... Regardless of how much speed you need or don't for that small amount of channels, getting rid of a power brick is huge.

81 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 12:28:08)

d.kisel7 wrote:

More separate outputs I use Focal shape speakers and they don't have volume knob and I have Topping headphone amp that I would like to use as well, so I would use rca for headphone amp and XLR for speakers but at this point I can't use only one at the time they both share the same output simultaneously.

So more independent outputs and increased number of band to at least 8 band parametric eq would be nice but even more than that increased boost and cut precision not 0.5dB steps but at least 0.1dB eq steps.

Keeping up with other brands in terms of noise performance,  thd, dynamics,... ADI-2 dac has already great specs probably inaudible amount of noise, but it's tempting to get the best perfomer and keep up with latest and greatest even though audible difference might be negligible.

Also possibly start using usb-4 since it will be widely used from 2022 and will be interchangeable with thunderbolt both Windows and Mac and be able to carry enough power for a DAC and headphone amp even without AC adapter connected (unless it will negatively affect noise performance)

Can old computer USB 2.0 port work with the USB4 cable?

All the usb iterations are backwards compatible so I would think the next one will have that too.

MC said usb 2.0 is more than plenty. It has easier and all known implementation with cheaper parts. RME´s bigger interfaces have usb 3.0 and TB to support more channels. With usb power standalone will be a minor hassle, but still a hassle.

83 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 12:36:29)

Happy_amateur wrote:

All the usb iterations are backwards compatible so I would think the next one will have that too.

MC said usb 2.0 is more than plenty. It has easier and all known implementation with cheaper parts. RME´s bigger interfaces have usb 3.0 and TB to support more channels. With usb power standalone will be a minor hassle, but still a hassle.

USB4 plug is physically like type C, then need an adapter for old computer...... more connection means chances of bad contact.

Another thing is, apart from the noise hassle, can USB2 supply enough power for the so-called THREE-DAC?

84 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-04 13:39:34)

Johannes AU wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

USB4 plug is physically like type C, then need an adapter for old computer...... more connection means chances of bad contact.

Another thing is, apart from the noise hassle, can USB2 supply enough power for the so-called THREE-DAC?

I would think that is will not be possible even with the current feature set. The ADI-2 DAC FS has an idle power consumption of 7 Watts (Max 18W) and that is more power than USB2 can deliver.

Dear Detectives...

The RME does not source it's operating power from USB.   Careful inspection will find a small black box attached to the rear of the ADI-2 DAC via a Twist-Lock coaxial connector.  That's a Power Supply for the unit, and where all the Magic begins!  big_smile

Curt

Johannes AU wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

RME products price point don't really call for cheaping out on the parts, quite the contrary I would imagine/hope.

Anyway, no need to make it a bigger issue than it is. There are plenty of direct USB-C to USB A cables, so no need for adapters, and thus no need to worry about bad contact.

Also, one less point to worry about, being that you only use the USB cable so you don't have to worry about the PSU contact, actually that's two less things to worry about + less to carry around, + way less manufacturing costs and purchasing cost since you don't even need to include the PSU, could just be an optional purchase for those that wanna run it off a battery pack or wall socket.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/belkin_f2cu032bt06_wht_usb_2_0_type_a_to_1206781.jpg

Curt962 wrote:

Dear Curt

We are talking about the ADI-3...............

All the best,

Torben

Curt962 wrote:

Dear Detectives...

The RME does not source it's operating power from USB.   Careful inspection will find a small black box attached to the rear of the ADI-2 DAC via a Twist-Lock coaxial connector.  That's a Power Supply for the unit, and where all the Magic begins!  big_smile

Curt

I know, but the question posted was about using USB 2.0 for powering the unit. ;-)

That does not happen.

Muffin wrote:

I would think that is will not be possible even with the current feature set. The ADI-2 DAC FS has an idle power consumption of 7 Watts (Max 18W) and that is more power than USB2 can deliver.

Perfect for USB-C powering.

91 (edited by Muffin 2022-01-04 14:30:47)

torbenscharling wrote:
Muffin wrote:

Perfect for USB-C powering.

That would increase the price of the unit, but for sure would be an attractive feature for those users that can take advantage of it. Currently many (most?) can't take advantage of that feature so an external power source will still be required (similar as for the Babyface) for them.

KSTR wrote:
mihai wrote:

If a DAC is designed to be connected directly to the amplifier why does it lack  a 12v trigger? Are you supposed to manually turn the amps on/off?

99.9% of amps do NOT have a trigger input. At least the serious ones don't have these type of gimmicks, normally only seen on AV gear.

And really, if manually turning audio equipment on/off gives you any headaches then you might want to rethink what you expect from your hobby.

Amen Brother!

The RME is a Digital to Analog Converter.  Not a Home-Automation System

Curt

93 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 17:09:59)

Curt962 wrote:
KSTR wrote:
mihai wrote:

Amen Brother!

The RME is a Digital to Analog Converter.  Not a Home-Automation System

Curt

I enjoy doing a pre-flight check prior take off, flaps, check, rudder, check, blah blah blah, check, ready to take off ! ..... tongue

Me too Johannes!  big_smile

It keeps me alive so I can come home and turn on my RME.

Curt

Love this crowd !!!

96 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-04 18:34:15)

torbenscharling wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:
Happy_amateur wrote:

RME products price point don't really call for cheaping out on the parts, quite the contrary I would imagine/hope.

Anyway, no need to make it a bigger issue than it is. There are plenty of direct USB-C to USB A cables, so no need for adapters, and thus no need to worry about bad contact.

Also, one less point to worry about, being that you only use the USB cable so you don't have to worry about the PSU contact, actually that's two less things to worry about + less to carry around, + way less manufacturing costs and purchasing cost since you don't even need to include the PSU, could just be an optional purchase for those that wanna run it off a battery pack or wall socket.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/images2500x2500/belkin_f2cu032bt06_wht_usb_2_0_type_a_to_1206781.jpg

Noise .... from computer, or charger ....
When I use the Apple CCK and charge the phone with the lightning cable connect to computer or 3rd party charger, it create noise to the USB, only the Apple original charger (comes with my first iPhone 3Gs) is quiet.

Besides, how many watt(s) can be output from a USB 2.0 port?

Curt962 wrote:

Dear Detectives...

Curt

No detectives actually, the THREE DAC not yet exist, spies or detectives cannot see or expect anything from RME's desk ....  tongue

98 (edited by torbenscharling 2022-01-05 02:41:00)

Johannes AU wrote:

USB 2 power is irrelevant in this discussion. We are talking about a potential ADI-3 and it's feature set.

Naturally it would also have PSU plug, so you  would use that cable you see above AND the PSU, other people might want to be using the just the USB-C/USB4 cable since there would be no need to also use a PSU.

If USB power was so bad, RME would not have accepted BabyFace to use USB 2.0 power. Even though it should raise the dynamic range a bit running it with a PSU (on the original BF at least), you can find several places where RME officially touts the USB power to be sufficient, which I guess is also why the BabyFace doesn't even come with a PSU.

So ya, long story short: There really are no reasons not to implement the usb powered option.

99 (edited by ramses 2022-01-05 06:26:22)

torbenscharling wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

USB 2 power is irrelevant in this discussion. We are talking about a potential ADI-3 and it's feature set.

Naturally it would also have PSU plug, so you  would use that cable you see above AND the PSU, other people might want to be using the just the USB-C/USB4 cable since there would be no need to also use a PSU.

If USB power was so bad, RME would not have accepted BabyFace to use USB 2.0 power. Even though it should raise the dynamic range a bit running it with a PSU (on the original BF at least), you can find several places where RME officially touts the USB power to be sufficient, which I guess is also why the BabyFace doesn't even come with a PSU.

So ya, long story short: There really are no reasons not to implement the usb powered option.

Babyface has other applications: small formfactor / mobilily.

Therefore it made sense to make it bus powered, BUT with the clever / wise option to allow the connection of a PSU, because I remember posts in this forum, where USB2 power fails for some computers.

USB power on computers can be very different due to general differences (desktop vs laptop) and how good the quality of the computers PSU is.

In such cases, where the power from computer is not sufficient, RME recommends to use a PSU. BTW similar with the old FF400 if I remember right, which could - as an option - also be operated bus powered, but in some cases that failed as well and led to issues.

For such reasons it makes more sense for a device, which claims to be a reference converter, to either have its own PSU built-in (if there is enough room) or to use again an external PSU.

Remember there are many customers who use a Raspberry Pi devices as audio source, maybe even using USB for audio (not 100% sure on this point). But when googling for Raspberry Pi and USB, you will find references which tell, that USB power is not that powerful, in such cases you will definitively need a separate PSU.

So I could bet that RME will choose again USB2 for wider compatibility because most computers still have an USB2 port and because USB2 is sufficient for the purpose to transport a "handfull" of channels. Remember, MADIface Pro supports 68 channels IN + OUT through USB2.

I wouldn't "worry" too much about this topic. You can be sure, that RME will make again a wise choise for such a product, this will surely be one of the least problems.

100 (edited by Johannes AU 2022-01-05 05:44:30)

torbenscharling wrote:
Johannes AU wrote:

My friend, you got me wrong.

And ramses explained the pros and cons of it.